vr and rf 8 up and running

mickster

RF8 arrived in the mail today, Did an install and moved my 7.5 data over to 8. Everything is working great. VR is seamless and a joy to use. This is the exact product I was looking for. Combining my interest in video games, RC aircraft, and virtual reality is an absolute joy.

If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to report my findings.

Just a quick note so anyone will know where I am coming from:

I fly rc for real (only quadcopters). Long time video gamer and long time interest in VR (I had VR back in 1996 when it was VGA).

It was very surreal to fly a photofield in VR that I have been using for years in RF4-7.

Wow, just WOW....

mickey

RF8 arrived in the mail today, Did an install and moved my 7.5 data over to 8. Everything is working great. VR is seamless and a joy to use. This is the exact product I was looking for. Combining my interest in video games, RC aircraft, and virtual reality is an absolute joy.

I fly rc for real (only quadcopters). Long time video gamer and long time interest in VR (I had VR back in 1996 when it was VGA).

It was very surreal to fly a photofield in VR that I have been using for years in RF4-7.

Wow, just WOW....

mickey

It would be interesting to know which VR system you're using and your system specs and frame rates. Sorry if you posted those before but I forgot if you did.

Wow, just WOW....

mickey

How did you move your 7.5 info into 8?

If it's like previous versions, your custom content is found in your documents folder. Just move the files from Realflight 7 folder found there to the Realflight 8 folder and done.

If it's like previous versions, your custom content is found in your documents folder. Just move the files from Realflight 7 folder found there to the Realflight 8 folder and done.

7.5 was the first one I had, so.....all new to me

Wow, just WOW....mickey

This is GREAT to hear! How was the photofield experience... did it look flat or could you perceive depth? Are the rendered fields better for VR?

I fly almost exclusively in the photofields but I was imagining that VR would look better with the rendered ones.

It would be interesting to know which VR system you're using and your system specs and frame rates. Sorry if you posted those before but I forgot if you did.

I5-7400
8 gig of ram
gtx1060 with 3 gig of ram
realflight on highest graphical settings
monitor set at 1680x1050
realflight running in a window on the monitor
Oculus Rift for VR (stock settings no side utils to alter settings)

Carl Henson Field
fps when in monitor 340
fps when in vr 90

Joes Garage HD
fps when in monitor 170
fps when in VR 45

So what it gets down to is oculus wants 90 fps, but if it can't lock in hard at that rate, it will use ASW and lock hard at 45 fps

In vr I can't tell the difference of either 45 or 90. I have to use the fps gadget to tell.

But a good rule of thumb is that VR will cut your framerate in half, So you will need at the barest minimum 90 fps on a monitor to lock in at 45 on oculus vr.

Also I don't know if the HTC Vive has any type of ASW running through open vr. ASW is an oculus software mode to allow programs to look very good at 45fps.

any downloaded stuff will be in your documents folder. I didn't really have much so I just exported on 7.5 and then reimported into 8.

As far as add ons, and expansions, I just copied them from the data folder of 7.5 into the data folder of 8. Its all documented on this forum

This is GREAT to hear! How was the photofield experience... did it look flat or could you perceive depth? Are the rendered fields better for VR?

I fly almost exclusively in the photofields but I was imagining that VR would look better with the rendered ones.

Photofield experience is excellent. I also prefer photo over rendered fields and I am happy with it. The combination of the 3d objects (plane/heli/any fences added/etc) and looking with the headtracking helps me see where things are spatially.

What it gets down to, if a person is happy with the state of VR right now (which means accepting a lower res image than a normal computer monitor) its fantastic. Tracking is great, implementation is great, sound is great (I have never played RF with headphones and I had no idea what I was missing).

As far as the sound goes, I often use the photofield athletic club with the BLT park flyer. Playing on a monitor I never noticed the servos and also the sound of the landing gear scraping on the ground.

Also just the fact of tracking the aircraft with your head as opposed to the computer doing it automatically adds a ton. Makes flyby's awesome!

I5-7400
8 gig of ram
gtx1060 with 3 gig of ram
realflight on highest graphical settings
monitor set at 1680x1050
realflight running in a window on the monitor
Oculus Rift for VR (stock settings no side utils to alter settings)

Carl Henson Field
fps when in monitor 340
fps when in vr 90

Joes Garage HD
fps when in monitor 170
fps when in VR 45

So what it gets down to is oculus wants 90 fps, but if it can't lock in hard at that rate, it will use ASW and lock hard at 45 fps

In vr I can't tell the difference of either 45 or 90. I have to use the fps gadget to tell.

But a good rule of thumb is that VR will cut your framerate in half, So you will need at the barest minimum 90 fps on a monitor to lock in at 45 on oculus vr.

Also I don't know if the HTC Vive has any type of ASW running through open vr. ASW is an oculus software mode to allow programs to look very good at 45fps.

I read all your other posts too thanks for the info. I have a 6700K 32 GB of memory and a GTX 1070 so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks for posting all this stuff I know everyone is wanting to hear user experiences.

Now I'm even extra anxious to get my copy today that is marked as out for delivery. I have a Rift VR set borrowed from friend. Normally I can get 200-300 fps in a photofield so hope I can fly those in VR.

I plan on copying my content over also instead of importing it all again.

I'm sure the postman will be late today just because ... grrrrr ... :mad:

I hope you hear something on yours being shipped technoid. It should have gone out by now.

Back