VR experience

BaMMeR991

I have a 1080 TI card and love it. problem is, my graphics on my monitor look way better than oculus. I get right at 100 FPS but lack resolution and color so when i use oculus its like a downgrade as far as graphics quality

I have a 1080 TI card and love it. problem is, my graphics on my monitor look way better than oculus. I get right at 100 FPS but lack resolution and color so when i use oculus its like a downgrade as far as graphics quality

What resolution do you run your monitor at? I thought it would look like that.

You only have 1080×1200 resolution per eye, so it looks poor compared to even a HD monitor,I have the Rift and whilst it is fun (only tried NeXt in VR, my copy of RF8 is still in the post) you have to keep the model close, to see any detail.

You only have 1080×1200 resolution per eye, so it looks poor compared to even a HD monitor,I have the Rift and whilst it is fun (only tried NeXt in VR, my copy of RF8 is still in the post) you have to keep the model close, to see any detail.

Thanks I've only seen VR once and that's pretty much what I thought of it, something that will be very cool in a few years.

Since I fly mostly helis I guess I hadn't really noticed the distance thing so much until it was brought up. When I fly a plane it's almost always one technoid has created.

The Samsung Odyssey has: Dual 3.5" AMOLED (1440x1600 dots)

Realflight only has standard screen resolutions up to 1920 x 1080. And the VR selections are Low, Medium, High, Highest... with no dimensional specs listed.

I'm not sure how the screen resolution selection relates to the VR resolution. In certain games, you can set your own custom resolutions, like when you want to span multiple displays. Any way to do this with RF?

And more importantly, can RF8 take advantage of higher res units like the Odyssey?

On a MS Surface Pro (2017) RF8 is running at the native screen resolution of 2736x1824. I didn't do anything to set that resolution it just comes up as an option.

Realflight only has standard screen resolutions up to 1920 x 1080. And the VR selections are Low, Medium, High, Highest... with no dimensional specs listed.

Please see this VR Tips thread. It covers the VR Quality setting in more detail.

I'm not sure how the screen resolution selection relates to the VR resolution.

Please see this post in the same thread.

And more importantly, can RF8 take advantage of higher res units like the Odyssey?

It depends on the details. If the device does not support OpenVR then everything is thrown into question. If it does, then theoretically it should work. Should. ;) Basically, we query the device for the recommended render target size and then use that. If it is properly hooked into OpenVR, then it's the sort of thing that is supposed to "just work".

FWIW, we have run the Oculus Rift through OpenVR instead of its native Oculus API, and that does work. (That's not something you would do except for testing purposes, since it imposes a performance hit with no gain.) But the Rift and Vive have very similar resolutions and were both current products at the time all the related code was written. That's not a conclusive test as far as future devices is concerned.

It's also possible that a newer device will require OpenVR API functionality that hasn't even been written yet, which would require an update on our side to use & include a more recent version of the OpenVR library.

Ultimately, we'll just need to see what happens when these devices actually come out.

It depends on the details. If the device does not support OpenVR then everything is thrown into question. If it does, then theoretically it should work. Should. ;) Basically, we query the device for the recommended render target size and then use that. If it is properly hooked into OpenVR, then it's the sort of thing that is supposed to "just work".

FWIW, we have run the Oculus Rift through OpenVR instead of its native Oculus API, and that does work. (That's not something you would do except for testing purposes, since it imposes a performance hit with no gain.) But the Rift and Vive have very similar resolutions and were both current products at the time all the related code was written. That's not a conclusive test as far as future devices is concerned.

It's also possible that a newer device will require OpenVR API functionality that hasn't even been written yet, which would require an update on our side to use & include a more recent version of the OpenVR library.

Ultimately, we'll just need to see what happens when these devices actually come out.

Thanks Ryan, I understand now that RF will adapt resolution to the device... or at least attempt to. According to Samsung, all WMR devices will support OpenVR, so that bodes well.

Back