Washed out colours and Shadow Artifact

poshsoup

Here you can see the pastel look of the canopy on the Bergan gasser. The same goes for the Intrepid.

to the left you can see the shadow artifact which jumps around the screen.

I have not been able to recreate any of the holograms of the rotor spinning or black tetrahedrons which I have seen before.

Unable to get any filtering for smoother edges.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3360M CPU @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16280MB RAM
Page File: 7453MB used, 25210MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1760 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 650M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 10147 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2007 MB
Shared Memory: 8139 MB

Attachments

• 20231112093347_1.jpg
    20231112093347_1.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 14
@poshsoup You got the Bloom effect enabled right?
(which in the past didn't impact so much aicrafts).

For the holograms etc., some are solved with last beta 075, see my posts in case 84428.

Last edited:
@poshsoup You got the Bloom effect enabled right?
(which in the past didn't impact so much aicrafts).

For the holograms etc., some are solved with last beta 075, see my posts in case 84428.
I have turned on and off Bloom but still see some sort of Bloom and washed out coloring on some models when it is disabled.

I have seen the hologram effects on the latest version of EVO but it went away later the same day. Along with that were the black tetrahedrons that seem to rip through the background. They went away also. I can correlate the possibility that the bug was only major the very first time loading in the photo field "santa clara" on the new edition of EVO. But that is only a guess.

I have been attempting to get photos of this happening but so far I have only been able to photograph the very hardly noticeable shadow which jumped to the left and scaled down to a tiny helicopter.

On a side note, the Sod Farm photo field doesn't seem to be loading in right. There are not any console errors but it just does not look right.

the latest update 10.10.075 may have had some unintended changes to the images on some planes

see post #8

Guys, just wondering what happened to the colour during the transition to Dx11?

The blacks are looking really washed out. I have canopies that look frosted. The old Avant aurora is pretty bad like..

Attachments

• Frosted canopy.jpg
    Frosted canopy.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 15
  • RF evo gaui x7.jpg
    RF evo gaui x7.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 15
  • RF8 gaui x7.jpg
    RF8 gaui x7.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 15
Guys, just wondering what happened to the colour during the transition to Dx11?

The blacks are looking really washed out. I have canopies that look frosted. The old Avant aurora is pretty bad like..
there was a bug. that if the _s map was black and transparent it would cause issues with color loss. the first attempt fixed some of it but some issues remained and in the second attept to fix it the frost happened. I should probably start a thread dedicated to this issue just it happened as part of the fix for bug 84276. so I saw talking about it there.

see this thread.

Thanks so much!

I suppose if it's a known thing, that's good, the lads here will fix it eventually, I would imagine.

Just stuck out like a sore thumb!

I'm going to move some posts here into relevant threads, though might wait on the color ones until we know for sure it's the same issue as described in 84276 (quite likely yes).

We have reproduced the color issue some of you report when we turn off normal maps. We are working on a solution. That is indeed an unintended side effect of the last change.
No change.
As the description for that property says, you must restart RealFlight for it to take effect. (Turning them off actually works pretty well without restarting, but not going the other way.)

This frosting effect on the current release build as of this date seems to be most obvious in canopies... it seems to affect a lot of helis especially with a black front area / "windscreen" if you like, like the Avant Aurora illustrated. The black just accentuates the frosting.

The Gaui's X5,7. The Thunder titan 700. etc. while not as black still look frosted.

And they're not custom models.

Just a bit of a potentially touchy question but I mean it in a constructive manner : Did anybody look at the helis before pushing it out of beta? Some of us only fly helis, just trying to represent us.

Also, can we roll back to DX9?

Thanks Ryan for your attention, really appreciate it! You're a gent!

@spykez What does motivate you for rollback to DX9. You mean as enablement option in Steam?
What are the key issues with DX11 requiring this on your opinion?

That will be a great feedback as you might have spotted issue we are not aware or anything else. Thank you!

Last edited:
@spykez What does motivate you for rollback to DX9. You mean as enablement option in Steam?
What are the key issues with DX11 requiring this on your opinion?

That will be a great feedback as you might have spotted issue we are not aware.

What is my motivation? Shallow, admittedly.

1. Aesthetics.

Right now, my favourite heli looks frosted. I'll grant it is winter! But it looks ... frosty.... ;)

2. I found DX9 just fine, as well.

Just suggesting the option to fallback to last known good position be there.

@spykez Alright! Lesson learned is that RF is also used by heli entusiasts and real flyers. More testing with helis is definitively recommended!

Regarding DX9, we are almost there with DX11 so best for dev team to focus on fixes rather featuring rollback, on my opinion.

All testers should consider helicopters aircrafts, even if the majority is flying planes. They must look realistic, at least same as with DX9. They certainly will as dev team working on it.

We have to remember that this software has really good physics and this is very important. Overall will be looking very nice once transition to DX11 stabilized.

Last edited:
Just a bit of a potentially touchy question but I mean it in a constructive manner : Did anybody look at the helis before pushing it out of beta? Some of us only fly helis, just trying to represent us.
I can appreciate this question and the spirit in which it is asked. The answer is yes. However, I believe this particular issue (the "washed out"/"frosty" appearance) only arose from a very recent change, and only occurred with normal maps turned off which we unfortunately did not re-check before releasing that particular update.

We believe that problem is fixed now in build 10.10.076. If you see any more of it after updating, please report your findings in this thread.

I can appreciate this question and the spirit in which it is asked. The answer is yes. However, I believe this particular issue (the "washed out"/"frosty" appearance) only arose from a very recent change, and only occurred with normal maps turned off which we unfortunately did not re-check before releasing that particular update.

We believe that problem is fixed now in build 10.10.076. If you see any more of it after updating, please report your findings in this thread.
Huge improvement in 10.10.076

All is much appreciated!

T

Thank you so much, she's back to normal again! :)

Attachments

• avant aurora post Nov 16 2023.jpg
    avant aurora post Nov 16 2023.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 7
Back