Welcome to G4 Designer's corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lauck

Hi all,

My name is Dave Lauck and I'm an artist here at KE.

Over the next couple of days I'll be uploading some examples on how we set up planes, heli's, floats and textures for you. Since we have a little "down time", I'll do the best I can to answer questions on these specific issues. I don't have all the info complete yet, I'm still working on it, so I'll get back to you when it ready.

we'll talk soon,

Dave

backward compatability

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The swap pages aren't ready for G4. We're working on this issue.

For the time being we ask that you exchange .RFX files here in the Designer's Corner.
Dave,
Thanks for having this section, but you will be very busy answering questions, get ready!
Dose the .RFX format file type mean that any aircraft that are generated FROM 4.0 (EA EXPORT) will not be able to be used in 3.5?
Thanks
Crashed

Very good question crashed again.

Along the same lines: We still export using the KEX format? Just once it's in G4 and you export an EA to share it it will be a .RFX file? Am I correct with that?

crashed again said:
Dose the .RFX format file type mean that any aircraft that are generated FROM 4.0 (EA EXPORT) will not be able to be used in 3.5?
Thanks
Crashed

That's correct - RFX files (the G4 equivalent of a G3X file) will _not_ be backwards compatible to ealier versions of RealFlight. Some reasons for that are: some file extensions had to be changed and we had to change the way that our engine uses textures, for example. Not to worry - these changes are transparent to the user from a model making/import/export point of view. Some of these changes were to develop new features and some of them were due to Vista compatibility issues.

pplace said:
We still export using the KEX format? Just once it's in G4 and you export an EA to share it it will be a .RFX file? Am I correct with that?

Yes, the KEX format will still be used. Essentially, the model making process and the RealFlight import/export process has not changed except that we changed the extension on the archive files - from a user perspective, that is all that has changed.

That's correct - RFX files (the G4 equivalent of a G3X file) will _not_ be backwards compatible to ealier versions of RealFlight.
Thanks Joe.
I guess this means i will continue to produce models with the G3X format, so they can be enjoyed by users of both 3.5 and 4.0.
crashed

Now I am confused :D
You can not run G4 models in G3.5 but you can still use G3.5 models in G4, correct?

Andrzej

Thanks Dave just had a quick look through your "sticky" you posted. Some very nice information there. Will come in handy if I ever G4 working on my computer

One question though: When you mentioned setting the float value at 100% (will take on no water) what situation would you want where something would take on water? And what affect would it have on the model?

Last edited:
Nup Rotation values for ~CS_BBD is interesting.
No more movable POD assist for that animation.

I wonder Dave, any provisions for Servo ARM animation?
Cockpit doors perhaps?

I think Springy Tail Gear would most closely emulate my World Models planes on Ground Handling. :)
I always have such a hard time driving it back to me after landing, tail bounces left and right at each pebble obstacle. :rolleyes:

It mentioned vertical gear (or nose gear) wouldn't work for "springy" operation?

Couldn't the pivot just be rotated 90degrees or input the Nup values for a "forward / backward" spring? (instead of up / down) i.e. if you are taxing a nose gear aircraft and "bump" into the edge of the runway the gear will give??

Last edited:
pplace said:
Thanks Dave just had a quick look through your "sticky" you posted. Some very nice information there. Will come in handy if I ever G4 working on my computer

One question though: When you mentioned setting the float value at 100% (will take on no water) what situation would you want where something would take on water? And what affect would it have on the model?
I'm no designer here but could it be how it sits in the water? Like "ride height"? 100% sinks and 0% sits on top of the water? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back