Well, Why not ?

Stuart Bazley

Sorry I'm new here but not new to Real Flight. Why can't RF Basic users have addon packs. OK we don't pay as much as we do for RF7 but how many Basic versions are simply collecting dust on a shelf. I know mine is mainly because I have RF7. But what about the people who can't afford the big jump. Was the Basic version only made to try to lure more people into full releases of Real Flight?

I know it states very clearly that extra aircraft can't be used so I guess we shouldn't ask for them but why not?. I don't mean freebies, I mean proper addons we can pay for. I wouldn't argue about spending say $30.00 on 10 new aircraft, it will give basic a boost and both buyers and Real Flight will reap the benifits. Is it possible for a patch to be written which allows extra planes to be added on?.

Just a thought. I ask it because a good friend of mine bought a copy for his son and when he found out I had RF7 he asked for a copy. I explained I couldn't and shouldn't make copies and asked what happened to Basic. He told me he was bored with it but his Dad wouldn't buy the full version. It's more a matter of he can't buy the full version because he's strapped for money. Obviously I didn't say that to his son. His next question was could he borrow a few of my planes, again I said it just wasn't possible. I know he left here rather dejected after seeing RF7 on my computer and that's what bought me to asking this question.

WHY NOT?

Stu

Marketing

Remember... this is user to user forum with a bit of moderation.

You really should address things like this directly to Knife Edge. A marketing decision, I am sure.

I'm not sure if it will work with realflight basic but maybe you could ask rf if you could buy mega packs for rf basic.

I'm not sure if it will work with realflight basic but maybe you could ask rf if you could buy mega packs for rf basic.

They won't work. RealFlight Basic is just that, Basic. No expansion packs, no add-ons, or even updates are available for the Basic version.

Last edited:
I know he left here rather dejected after seeing RF7 on my computer and that's what bought me to asking this question.

WHY NOT?

Basic was designed to be an "entry level" simulator for someone who did not want to buy into the features of the full version.

Those full version "features" include Expansion Packs, Add-ons and user created content. If you want those features, buy the full version.

Other sims do eactly the same thing... e.g. Easyfly versus Aerofly.

Yes this was a marketing decision to gain share in the "low end" sim market.

The purchaser is prominently alerted to the fact that they are buying a "BASIC" sim only.

BTW: A Basic Realflight sim used to be part of a training/trainer package. It only included one or two planes.

Knifeedge greatly expanding things with Realflight Basic, which remains a great choice for someone who will not pay for the full version.

It's basically like others above have described. We had to draw a dividing line through all the features to determine which things would go into Basic and which would only be available in the full version.

We could have drawn that line differently. It's not that we couldn't have made Basic support the Expansion Packs and Mega Packs. That's just one of the many features we decided would distinguish the full version of the product from the much more limited Basic version. (Partly I think we wanted to limit how invested a person can become in a product with no available upgrade path.)

With Basic you pay less and you get less. It's not designed to be expandable. We're as up front as we can be about the features offered by the different versions.

Planes and Airports from KnifeEdge for RealFlight Basic?

A friend of mine completely new to RC just bought RF Basic (2015) on my recommendations because she is on a budget. I've never used RF Basic, I do own and have used for years RF 6 and I download planes from the KnifeEdge site.

Question is, can she download planes and airports from KnifeEdge and where ? Which planes and airports are compatible with RF Basic?? Is downloading and importing the same on Basic as it is with RF 4, 5, 6?

Anyone know of other locations that have planes and airports for RF Basic??

Thanks

You cannot import aircraft or airports with Realflight Basic. The best Recommendation would have been to have her purchase the Full version of Realflight if you are wanting to import aircraft. Realflight basic is just that, BASIC. It has a limited selection of aircraft and flying sites, No Multiplayer options, or Single player challenges.

Yeah, I'm beginning to see that looking at other posting on other forums. Well popping for a G level version was beyond her budget and choice as she wants to see if RC is a good fit for her first.

Does KE offer an inexpensive online upgrade option to a G level version since the controller is the same?

There is no "upgrade" from Basic. the Basic controller pictured here
rf-basic-g53.jpg

Is not the same as the standard Interlink controller pictured here.
controller-300.jpg

If the box is unopened, or if the store will take it back I would return the product for the full version which is $70.00 more since even the Upgrade DVD requires the Full Interlink and it's serial number to work. If unable to exchange your friend will still be able to use Basic for assistance in learning how to fly as the physics are pretty much the same, she just won't have any of the functions the full version would give her like the access to the Swap page models, More standard aircraft etc....

Last edited:
I want a Ferrari, but it is out of my budget, so I either get used to being poor (I am acquainted) or raise the money to get what I want. RF Basic is a very sincere attempt by the publisher of this product to help the newbies and less fortunate. Maybe you should just admit that you gave her bad advice and buy her the right one.

If she can't afford the sim, how in the world is she going to afford this hobby?

Back