What happened to RF-X? Why the abandonment?

People who are complaining about RF8 are few and far between. Everyone I have talked to who has tried it prefer it over 7.5. Physics are different, for the better. Helicopters and planes fly better than in 7.5. This is worth the price of the upgrade. The poly limit being raised almost 5 fold for content creators is HUGE. definitely makes it worth the upgrade. Then there is the VR.... Also worth it for 99 bucks and less if you use a coupon, I had a 15% coupon from tower. Then there are the multirotors from the Drone Edition and their flight controllers we have access to in the editor. I definitely want to play around with those controllers in unorthodox aircraft to see what they can and can't do...

To say it's a 7.75 upgrade is just a uninformed comment since it is definitely much more than that. Just as 5 was different from 4.5 and 6 was different from 5.5 etc....

I get drones are the hot thing right now but I would bet the majority of people are not buying this software for drones. Not to mention all the controllers and settings are so different with every drone out there.

As for physics, you could go back to any version and say this was better than that or 6 was better than 4 but the same as 5 but 5.5 felt different and 6.5 felt more like 7.75 feels now. Get the point? Either way they all have the same photo fields and you think KnifeEdge could pull up their big boy pants and capture some new images to make it seem like a new sim but my god they can't even do that.

At the end of the day other than VR you are buying a copy of 7.5 in 7.75 packaging with a couple bells and whistles. But lets not forget, after 12oClock and all the others went on and on about RFX is the future and we should embrace it and do what it takes to run it as companies cannot be expected to support old tech forever and that's exactly what they are doing. RFX is not the future of sims and never will be. KnifeEdge will just keep adding a new number to RF and milk it to the grave and RFX will be a distant memory.

I can just see it "RF 12 is the future" as we have added new wheel pants to select models that we have had for the last 12 years and carbon fiber control rods. WHOOOPIEEE OH and a new corn cob pipe for the alligator air boat.

Last edited:
Just got the tower catalog today. A two page spread for RF8 and nothing about RFX anywhere. I think that alone should tell you they aren't going forward with RFX. I have no doubt a .5 is on the way and they will continue with updates for bugs but I think it is clear that will be the end. I wouldn't call that leaving RFX users high and dry though. ALL recent previous version received a free .5 a year later then required users to pay for the next years major release. They simply overshot the computing power in use at release, resurrected and updated the RF 7 code base and came out with RF8.

Well, just my two cents. RFX or RF8 or whatever, this whole process is called evolution, It`s been going on since the advent of computers and computer components, whatever pcs. and parts they may be. It has plagued us with cell phones digital cameras, computers, TV's and on and on, anything that has to do with electronics technology and there growth / evolution, EXAMPLE : cameras and phones, tv`s for instance, since there introduction, my wife has had to get every new version (which, usually came out every 6 month`s or so, more memory, more pixels, more power etc., etc, blah blah blah. It`s all something that has been going on since the stone age, it`s called evolution. Are they holding out on us, do they have the technology to advance RFX, who knows, that`s the business of knife edge, and how they want to steer their ship, be into an iceberg or not. Every company has their "EDSEL" (look it up, for those of you that don`t know, it was a flop) Give it time. because, that`s what it has always taken. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. ;)

All of the above may or may not be true. I do not think KE did anything but try to advance the state of the art with RF-X. RC modeling is RC modeling. What are you really going to add that was not already in RF7.5? KE responded to being hammered all year about this that and other. Now they are being hammered about responding in a positive manner. Gees guys, give them a break, at least until you have a chance to see the other foot drop. KE is a great small business...always has been.

I have never received anything from KE, so my opinion is my own alone.

As for physics, you could go back to any version and say this was better than that or 6 was better than 4 but the same as 5 but 5.5 felt different and 6.5 felt more like 7.75 feels now. Get the point?

Physics are the whole point though. They've been trying to replicate real flying from RF's inception... so yes, the physics tweeks are bound to be small. But to anyone whose serious about RC flying, those differences are important. For example, I stuck with g5.5 for real practice right up until 8 came out, and only used 7.5 for multiplayer.
So maybe those differences are lost on you... maybe you'd just as soon use g4.5 (low point for RF physics). And maybe you don't care for the drones. They're interesting... especially the 3d one. And maybe there are no new fields... I haven't actually checked because I don't care. Give me a clear open field with objects off and I'll train to FLY.
Maybe I'll start to appreciate the 3d fields with objects more because... OH YEAH, there's VR now!
RF-8 is every bit a new generation... just as much as every previous generation has been. It's evolution, not revolution.

I get what you're saying about RFx. It's certainly not the indespensible training tool of the day. But hey, it's a generation 1 product. Give it some time. In any case, I don't see the point of bashing a (small) company which has stayed on top of the sim market with vastly superior products... even if it turns out they did misstep while venturing into something new.

I have been a Real Flight User for some time. I have been a software developer for nearly 40 years. RF consistently delivers high quality functional software. Incremental improvements in a robust, complex piece of software take a great deal of effort especially when you are working with physics engines and the emulation of any real world activity. What may seem like a relatively small improvement to an end user takes a great deal of effort not only to code the improvement but to do it in such a way that it doesn't break or have any adverse affects on other functionality. RF8, to me, is worth every penny of the software price to upgrade.

I trust that there will be further work on RFX as the new platform for future development. It is a bold and enormous undertaking to change the base engine of the software and basically start from scratch. I wouldn't expect RFX, as a new platform and product completely, to be anywhere near as robust and full featured as the current line of products. I'm sure the excellent development staff at Knife Edge will continue to build on that platform and fully believe that over time it will become an awesome product.

Just my two cents...

Jim

Ill just sit on my cash for now.

RF X was a huge blowup, and this, in my mind, is a money grab from KE.

I paid $160 for 7.5 a few years ago, and see NO value added to spend another $99 (screw the mail in rebate crap. offer it for $79 to start with)

Well, just my two cents. RFX or RF8 or whatever, this whole process is called evolution, It`s been going on since the advent of computers and computer components, whatever pcs. and parts they may be. It has plagued us with cell phones digital cameras, computers, TV's and on and on, anything that has to do with electronics technology and there growth / evolution, EXAMPLE : cameras and phones, tv`s for instance, since there introduction, my wife has had to get every new version (which, usually came out every 6 month`s or so, more memory, more pixels, more power etc., etc, blah blah blah. It`s all something that has been going on since the stone age, it`s called evolution. Are they holding out on us, do they have the technology to advance RFX, who knows, that`s the business of knife edge, and how they want to steer their ship, be into an iceberg or not. Every company has their "EDSEL" (look it up, for those of you that don`t know, it was a flop) Give it time. because, that`s what it has always taken. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. ;)
Came across this thread researching the "new" RealFlight Evolution and couldn't help but notice you coined the new name 4 years ago for Horizon Hobby, congrats!

This entire RF-X thing and removing all of the posts/information from the forum is a big barrel of poop.
Did they announce somewhere that they were going to do this and why?
I feel it's a complete stab in the back to the customers that purchased it.

Came across this thread researching the "new" RealFlight Evolution and couldn't help but notice you coined the new name 4 years ago for Horizon Hobby, congrats!
HAHA, Well it certainly wasn`t my intention, had I known, or if I had a crystal ball telling me that`s what the name going to be, I would have copyrighted the name... :) :)

This entire RF-X thing and removing all of the posts/information from the forum is a big barrel of poop.
Did they announce somewhere that they were going to do this and why?
I feel it's a complete stab in the back to the customers that purchased it.
My understanding is KnifeEdge sold RealFlight to Horizon Hobby in November 2021. RF X was developed in 2016. Knife Edge/President Jim Bourke KEPT RealFlight X while selling off all other RealFlight property, I'm assuming to develop RF X down the road. When Horizon Hobby purchased RealFlight they also brought software engineers over from KnifeEdge to continue developing RealFlight.

Very happy I found this thread as it was basically called out back in 2017 that this was the route Knife Edge would go. Sell their flagship software to large hobby investor so large hobby investor can make cash off revisions/updates/planes/passes just like modern video games. Then let KnifeEdge get back to working on the RF X platform. Given that COVID crushed basically everything, I totally understand why KnifeEdge sold current RealFlight to Horizon Hobby.

That is too bad about the forum support though, unfortunately that's what happens when the forum is owned by a company and ownership changes. I am very involved in the paintball community and have seen this happen time and time again with manufacturers, at this point most of our 10+ year knowledge/info comes from public discussion forums not owned by a particular company (take RCGroups forum vs RealFlight forum for instance).

Back