Votes: 0 0.0%
  • G5.5

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • RF6

Votes: 21 67.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

a4magic

So far as I've seen on the forums, people have been between different versions of Real Flight. I started this thread to see which is the most prefered by the users. The poll is between G3.5, G4, G4.5, G5, G5.5, and RF6.

another one of the reasons I am starting this thread is to see which version I should update to, or not, when the possible time comes.

Even the dscontinued one? :eek: :confused:

Only reason to upgrade is if you think your old one is no longer doing its job.
If you want all the latest goodies, then go straight to to the latest. Skip the rest.

Might be a bit early for a good comparison with G6, I have had it for a week and only had time to mess with it twice.

In G5.5 I had program aborts when creating dds files. It happened so often that I routinely modified all downloads to make the TGAs smaller than 2048x2048. I have not experienced a single dds abort in RF6, and restored everything back to their original resolutions.

I also experienced frequent aborts in the airport editor, but have only had a couple in RF6.

It's apparent that they did quite a bit of work making the software code more robust.

Pville211 said:
In G5.5 I had program aborts when creating dds files. It happened so often that I routinely modified all downloads to make the TGAs smaller than 2048x2048. I have not experienced a single dds abort in RF6, and restored everything back to their original resolutions.

I also experienced frequent aborts in the airport editor, but have only had a couple in RF6.

It's apparent that they did quite a bit of work making the software code more robust.

Yup, I agree... I haven't seen a single DDS error so far.

Got the RF6 upgrade about a month or so ago, along with both of the mega-packs.

Seemed like a fairly reasonable upgrade price. I like to support genres that I think are worthwhile. At the moment RF6 seems to fit into a unique category of software that I'd like to support (moddable RC simulation), so I bought it. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think RF currently has any competition? (before providing me a list, please note my emphasis on 'moddable')

Curious to see what KE does between now and the release of RF7.

Oh the RF6 version seemed to load faster for me and has less problems (so far) validating the controller. ...but I'm not entirely sure if that's related to the software or my considerable PC upgrade before installation. Have others noticed improvement here?

Last edited:
They are all "moddable" to some extent?
What specific moddable criteria are you looking for?

xljedi said:
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think RF currently has any competition? (before providing me a list, please note my emphasis on 'moddable')

Until 6.5 comes out around Oct/Nov next year, expect some bug fixes and improvements on that lovely grapple.
xljedi said:
Curious to see what KE does between now and the release of RF7.

RF7 will come out just in time for PS4 and Xbox720 with a wireless Interlink and hyper-true-to life Graphics and Physics.

:D So says my crystal ball. :D

I edited my post because I thought I sounded too much like a biased ******. I won't have that.

Last edited:
master22 said:
This thread title should be changed t "witch do you have" because everyone perfers RF6 but might not have it.

I find it hard to believe someone prefers something they don't have. :confused:

phrank said:
They are all "moddable" to some extent?
What specific moddable criteria are you looking for?

In the context of RC simulation, I don't really consider the sim to be moddable unless it allows users:
1) Ability to create new 3D models
2) Ability to create scenery and world objects

I don't think there are any competitors that are even remotely close to RF in this respect.

master22 said:
This thread title should be changed t "witch do you have" because everyone perfers RF6 but might not have it.

The poll does not seem to reflect a 100% RF6 preference and you are suggesting that people are responding with what they own vs. what they might prefer. I've only been around since version 5, so not enough history for me I s'pose. I've played other sims and owned the latest versions but still preferred version 3 over version 5. I don't think you can automatically assume it's an ownership poll.

I voted RF6 preference, but wasn't influenced at all by new features compared to RF5. If I went on that alone, I probably wouldn't have bothered to upgrade, because I don't see all that much of a difference.

Last edited:
xljedi said:
In the context of RC simulation, I don't really consider the sim to be moddable unless it allows users:
1) Ability to create new 3D models
2) Ability to create scenery and world objects

I don't think there are any competitors that are even remotely close to RF in this respect.

Well, you picked the correct one with 3 out of 3.
The best the others can is 2 out of 3. :p

xljedi said:
I voted RF6 preference, but wasn't influenced at all by new features compared to RF5. If I went on that alone, I probably wouldn't have bothered to upgrade, because I don't see all that much of a difference.

As with computer's the "difference" is only conspicuous in it's absence.

Go to a faster computer and you'll barely notice the difference... but use that faster machine for a while then flip back to your old one, and the differences hit you in the face.

Likewise with G6 over prior versions....

And yes it's pretty much an "ownership" poll... this IS a G6 forum after all.

Back