Will RealFlight G3 work with Windows 8?

radcon56

I have G3 with all 5 add-ons and would like to install it on Windows 8. Are there any known issues or compatibility problems? Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

RealFlight G3.5 installed on Windows 8

Okay, I got realflight G3 installed and that went without a hitch. The trouble came when I went to update to 3.5. It had some permissions issues even though I was logged on as an administrator. Then, once I got that squared away, it said that my serial number was no longer valid and would need to be re-entered. I could not, for the life of me, figure out where to enter it . So I was getting ready to uninstall realflight and I went to add/remove programs, I clicked on realflight and the box for the serial # pops up. That was nice, so I entered the #'s and off I went. The permissions thing can be a little tricky because the file realflight.exe was a read only file and the updates would not copy over it until I changed the attributes. The graphics and frame rates are way better than with Windows XP, I must say. :)

There is an article about Vista compatability that addresses the permission issues. Check the knowledge base for that, or you can probably find the link by searching the forums for it.

In your start menu, you'll find the areal Flight Launcher program. That's where you enter serials.

Thanks Jeff. The windows 8 start menu is quite different and since the permissions weren't set yet, during the update, the program failed to make a shortcut to the desktop or the start menu. I was lucky that the program pulled it up at the add/remove programs dialog or I would have just uninstalled it. So, if I see stuff for Windows 7, it should basically apply to Windows 8? I haven't seen too much for 8 specifically.

Make sure that when you re-install you run the setup.exe ( installer ) by right clicking on it and selecting "run as administrator".

You also need to do this for the launcher after the program is installed but BEFORE you run Realflight...

Hint: here is some advice I gave before... Try it, you'll love it!

----

Windows 8 Easy fix...

Classic Shell

Take one and all of your frustrations are gone!

You'll have extra spring in your step.

Your boots will be quicker.

Life will be great.

And no it does not do anything "bad" or that you will regret.

Make sure you modify the configuration options to suit your taste. You may want to re-enable the tile view on startup.

Thanks, I have classic shell already installed. If you want to use the 8 start menu, just right click on the start menu to select. RealFlight on 8 is nice. but the multi player is pretty tricky. I might have to break down and get 6.5. One thing that I thought worked better for me is to install all 5 add-ons before updating to 3.5 Thanks for your reply and keep your wheels up. :)

Back