Will the...

If the planes from the expansion packs will work, I'd guess the planes from the swaps will work as well. Then again maybe the physics are screwed depending on how much has changed concerning the physics.

0xdeadbeef said:
If the planes from the expansion packs will work, I'd guess the planes from the swaps will work as well. Then again maybe the physics are screwed depending on how much has changed concerning the physics.

Umm, if the planes from the expansion packs work, doesn't that means that they didn't improve the physics and that there isn't a new base to the program? I would think that a new base, new physics and a brand new version wouldn't support the expansions on G3.5 - that's why they had to make it a new version<?> Since they do, they just don't support the old G2 add-ons ... I'm just a little confused I guess. Come out with an upgrade that supports G3.0 and G3.5 Add-ons but has a new base that doesn't support G2 Add-ons, yet both G3.0 and 3.5 support G2 add-ons<?> as one of those non-computer literates can someone explain that to me?

not the planes from the expansions packs the planes from the add ons, thos are from the orinagal RF

Johndou said:
Umm, if the planes from the expansion packs work, doesn't that means that they didn't improve the physics and that there isn't a new base to the program?
The feature list doesn't mention improved physics (only dynamic soaring). If they mention things like the variometer or user interface improvements, they would surely mention a completely reworked flight model if there was one.

I would think that a new base, new physics and a brand new version wouldn't support the expansions on G3.5 - that's why they had to make it a new version<?>
Not necessarily. I'm not quite sure if there's a new "base" in the sense that they rewrote the core of the simulation from scratch. From the feature list posted, I'd guess this is an update to the G3 engine, but nothing completely new. Which is not imperatively a bad thing. E.g. the Unreal engine was constantly updated while other engines were rewritten several times from scratch. If you have a clean architecture, a complete rewrite is usually not needed to add new features.

Since they do, they just don't support the old G2 add-ons ... I'm just a little confused I guess. Come out with an upgrade that supports G3.0 and G3.5 Add-ons but has a new base that doesn't support G2 Add-ons, yet both G3.0 and 3.5 support G2 add-ons<?> as one of those non-computer literates can someone explain that to me?
As I never used G2, I'm not sure how different it was compared to G3 regarding the fight model. Maybe it was really a completely different thing and the usage of G2 needed certain "manual" support (e.g. providing a G3 flight model for every G2 aircraft) or even old code parts in G3.

Anyway: if you compare the screenshots of G2 and G4, would you really want to fly G2 planes in G4 or G4 planes in G2 airports?

Add on pack and Swap plan

I understand that the add on packs are not supported. It is stated though that the G3 and 3.5 downloaded planes are. (G3X files) I fly a Dazzler that is a download from the swap pages (g3x file) but it needs the Dazzler from the add on to function. So I guess if I get G4 I will no longer have the Dazzler to fly. Is this correct?

Another question: Are the physics updateded and better in G4 than in G3.5? I know that no sim can match the physics of going to the field to fly, but I fly the sim to improve my flight at the field and not as a game.

pplace said:
Yeah that's kinda the point......otherwise it's just a spendy "game"

I agree but believe it or not some of my friends fly the sim as a game only. They like the online aspect of Realflight. Any benefit they get that they use at the field is secondary to them.
I am hoping that Realflight is not forgetting about people like you and I in favor of the gaming sector of our hobby. I worry when I see them putting resources into things like "Night Flight at a Carnival".
So my question stands. What are the Physics like? Better the same or worse? (not that they would admit to it being worse.)

Back