Will this laptop run the G4...

jbrock

Looking to get a laptop to run the G4 on...I travel all the time and I would prefer a laptop or a desktop for mobility reasons...

I have only started getting into the RC thing a month ago...at 38 years old it must be me trying to get back to my childhood in some form or its me trying to find something in common with the 16 year son for that matter...

I have spend lots of money in the last month on a 1/10 scale RC buggy, 1/10 scale studium truck, a plane which I crashed and put in the attic, a Blade CX2 which I fly daily, and a Blade CP Pro which I can hover for about 3 minutes each time only.

I am looking at getting the TOSHIBA Satellite X205-SLi1

Product Specifications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor
Processor Type * : Core™2 Duo Processor Number * : T7250 Processor Speed * : 2.0GHz Front Side Bus * : 800MHz
Operating System **
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory Size *
2048MB
Memory Speed
PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM
Intel® Turbo Memory
No Turbo Memory Installed (Default)
Display Size *
17.0" widescreen
Display Type *
WXGA+ with TruBrite® Technology
Display Resolution *
1440x900, Supports 720p content
Graphics Engine *
NVIDIA® SLI Dual GeForce® 8600M GT
Graphics Memory *
767MB total: 512MB DDR3 discrete memory + up to 255MB shared memory w/NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology
Hard Drive Size *
240GB: 120GB HDD+120GB HDD
Hard Drive Speed
5400rpm
Optical Drives *
HD DVD-ROM/DVD SuperMulti (+/- double layer) drive (in one optical drive), supporting 12 formats
Wireless LAN * ♣
Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN (802.11a/g/n)
Bluetooth *
Bluetooth® V2.0 + EDR
Webcam
Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel
Input Devices
Internet Launch button, Dual Mode Pad, CD/DVD Buttons, 104 key US keyboard with 10 Key Pad
Security
Finger Print Reader
Modem
Modem
LAN
10/100/1000
Audio
Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono), S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port), 4 harman/kardon® stereo speakers with subwoofer AC Adapter
180W (19V x 9.5A) 100-240V AC Adapter
Battery Type
Li-Ion (6000mAh)
PC Express Slot
1-ExpressCard™ Slot
Media Port
5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter
USB Ports
6-USB (2.0)
iLINK
i.LINK™ IEEE-1394
HDMI
HDMI output port
S/P DIF output port
S/P DIF output port
S-Video
TV-out (S Video)
Software *
TOSHIBA ConfigFree®, TOSHIBA Disc Creator, TOSHIBA HD DVD Player, TOSHIBA Security Assist, TOSHIBA Speech System, InterVideo® WinDVD® 8, Microsoft® Office Trial Home and Student 2007 Edition (60-day trial), Microsoft® Works Version 8.5, Ulead® DVD MovieFactory® 5 for Toshiba, McAfee® Internet Security Suite (30-day trial)
Weight
Starting at 9.37 lbs.
Color
Flare Carmine
Warranty *
1-Yr Parts and Labor, 1-Year Battery

Also Includes:

Flare Carmine lid color, Microsoft® Works v.8.5, Microsoft Office Trial Home and Student 2007 Edition (60-day trial), Ulead® DVD MovieFactory® 5 for TOSHIBA, InterVideo® WinDVD® 8, TOSHIBA ConfigFree®, TOSHIBA Security Assist, TOSHIBA Disk Creator, 4-Built-in harman/kardon® stereo speakers with subwoofer, 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter, ExpressCard™ slot, 6-USB (2.0) ports, i.LINK™ IEEE-1394, TV-out (S-Video), HDMI port, Fingerprint Reader, 10/100 Ethernet, Modem, RGB monitor port, Microphone jack (monaural), headphone jack (stereo)

Laptop and G4

I have a tricked-out HP laptop, model DV9500t with just about the same specs as the toshiba you mentioned. Mine is only 2 months old and I am using Vista home premium. G4 runs great and the graphics are outstanding. The only issues I have had is the known issue of the 'interlink disconnect'. Good luck!

Looks like I will be getting that laptop...Thanks for you reply...

Can someone please explain the 'interlink disconnect' to me?

jbrock said:
Looks like I will be getting that laptop...Thanks for you reply...

Can someone please explain the 'interlink disconnect' to me?

Jbrock,

The 'interlink' is the radio that comes with G4 that you use to control your aircraft. Similiar to your Futuba, JR or whatever. It has a USB connector that you use to connect to your laptop. Every so often, I get a message that the interlink disconnected, and it halts RealFlight. I just unplug the USB connector, then plug it back in and wait for 15 seconds, then select interlink connector and resume. No big deal.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Back