Wind Indicator?

Wolfi3

Hi I came over to this from Phoenix and loving RF. But I can not find how to show wind direction. I have added wind and before in Phoenix I would have a compass in the bottom right with wind speed and direction. I have looked through all the gadgets but cant find any indicator!
RF is well more developed so please don't tell me there isn't one! :(

I'm glad you're finding RealFlight to your liking! The feature set is definitely much deeper, but it is true there is no wind gadget.

You can add a wind direction readout to the customizable NavGuides gadget. It is expressed in degrees. To help make sense of that, you can also turn on things like the vehicle heading and/or pilot look direction.
1677007034607.png

The Heads-Up Display gadget also shows the vehicle heading up at the top.
1677007271800.png

A more intuitive option is to look at the wind sock. Most (all?) stock airports contain a windsock near the default pilot spawn.

Where we run into some difficulty versus real life is in the wind sock placement. Outside of VR, you can't freely turn your head the way you can at the field. Given limitations on view, it would be more convenient in many ways to place the wind sock across the runway from the pilot where it would be visible more of the time, but--just like at a real flying field--an unyielding pole right in the middle of where people are trying to fly is not ideal. ;) So, we typically place it beside/behind the pilot.

You can press the Up arrow key to "quick look" at the wind sock for as long as you hold the key. That lets you see what it's doing while keeping it out of the way.

Thanks for the reply I'll have a play. I do not want to use a heads up display as I am looking for the most reralistic experience. But obviously as I cannot "feel" the wind I was hoping for a a compass type direction indicator.

Maybe it is something you could look to add in the gadgets in a future release I am sure it would be a very popular addition.

Ok I have added the wind speed speed and direction to the Nav gadget and was not getting any wind I have ended up turning all wind up to 100% yet they still read 0 both heading and speed also the windsock is limp so I am getting no wind . is there another setting outside of wind I am missing? Or is there a wind bug??

Press "Page Up" key to increase wind speed, press "Page down" key to decrease wind speed.
Zoom into one of the windsocks on the simulator and see the results, while pressing the keys.

Back