Wing Dragon 4, a 4-Ch Aileron Trainer

Not working for me ...

TomXP411 said:
As time allows, I'll try to work some more on this, but I think it's at the point where someone with G3 can take it and run with it. I'll also gladly send the current .3DS files to anyone who wants to take it further.
I just tried Inky00's technique (see: https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=106017&postcount=3) and that didn't work with this file for me :( ... anything peculiar about this file that would not allow Inky00's method to work here?

rjmanzuk said:
I just tried Inky00's technique (see: https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=106017&postcount=3) and that didn't work with this file for me :( ... anything peculiar about this file that would not allow Inky00's method to work here?
That technique will only work if the old kex exporter was used,if version 4 of the exporter was used(as seems in this case)then you cannot import G4 planes into G3.5 this way.Sorry but if that is the case then its up to the designer to convert it for G3.5

I have just checked the kex file included in the EA and it was created using version 4 so that is your reason.

Last edited:
I was able to import the Kex in to a friend's copy of 3.5, so I know the Kex should import fine. Is the physics file somehow different? I don't have 3.5; I had to give back the borrowed copy, so I can't do any real testing or back-porting. :(

At which point did the process fail? Were you able to import the Kex?

On trying to import the kex a message appears saying that version 4.00 was used.See the attached pic.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 39
TomXP411 said:
Wow. How VERY odd. I'll have to try grabbing an older version of KEMax tonight and try it again.

Tom, thanks again for all your efforts. Ditto for others upthread who are attempting/advising on the down-conversion. It's appreciated.

I'm going to post the raw .KEX file. Someone with g3.5 let me know if they can import this.

Thanks.

Note: You can't import this RFX directly in to RealFlight! You need to rename it to Dragon 4.ZIP and then extract the KEX file.

I also manually renamed the RFX file and renamed the .rfvehicle file inside... can someone also try importing the attached g3x and see if it works? If it doesn't, please post exactly what goes wrong when you try.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Dragon 4 KEX.rfx
    115.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Dragon 4_EA.g3x
    250.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Tom,

Import failed on both the kex (no dragon.tga) and G3x (Not all files found)

Here is a EA of the original 3ds you got,it is ready to go with generic physics and and paint.

Attachments

• WingDragon4_EA.G3X
    407.4 KB · Views: 66
The Kex failed as it was looking for the tga in a specific location,i created the correct location on my computer and was able to import the kex,i then backported the physics over from your G4 version and have packaged them together in a EA.G3x package ready for G3.5.Here you go.

Decided to make a quick scheme for it as i had a bit of spare time.Its nothing great but its better than a plain plane.Its all included in the EA.g3x

Please note that the pilot has a face on both the front and back of his head but as it was textured that way there wasn't much i could do about it.

Attachments

• Dragon 4_EA.G3X
    753.6 KB · Views: 243
  • ScreenShot1203198745.jpg
    ScreenShot1203198745.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 59
  • ScreenShot1203198768.jpg
    ScreenShot1203198768.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Guys, thank you all (TomXP411, Brentq, Inky00, WindRaider, DeVIN) for your efforts getting this put together. I've just given the WD4 a quick toss around the RF sky and get the sense that this is pretty close to being on the nickle.

Would love to hear from HeadMaster (who's already flown his WD4) to get his impressions as to accuracy of this model in RF. Once my kit is in and flown I'll report back too and perhaps even tweak the model a bit on my own.

My hat is off to all the contributors. Great job, folks!

In the two months I've had G3.5 I've requested two planes, and talented designers were kind enough to create credible models of both. Grattitude is hard to express in text, but please know I have this giant smile on my face right now.

Gents: I have a WD4 and just tried your .G3X and I would say you've pretty much nailed it. My only comments are that your model seems to fly a little faster than the real thing and of course there are some minor tweaks for the aesthetics (wing tip shape, etc.). Nonetheless, very impressive!

Thanks! These things make all this a lot of fun! (Now to post for a facetmobile...)

Cheers

Just stopping by to say thanks to all involved in modeling the WD4.

Over the last month or two I've been practicing with it.

And practicing.

And practicing.

And once I could do basic maneuvers and smooth landings, I cranked up the wind and the turbulence. Until I could do loops and rolls and landings in a good variable breeze. Oh, and deadstick. I probably put in ten or fifteen hours in on the model.

And today I flew an R/C plane for the very first time.

Nothing fancy, of course. An unsteady takeoff, some chancey moments, and a lot of circling at altitude--but I managed to land in one piece. And take off again. Some loops, a roll or two. And brought it home. Not a lot of air time; six to eight minutes on a pack, two packs and I was done. But folks, I guess I can fly for real.

So the sim was worth the price, and the time and effort you folks put in building the RF model of the Wing Dragon and converting it for RF 3.5 helped teach a newbie to fly. I'm sure I'll crash in the future. But today I flew.

So--my thanks to the folks to make the sims and slave over the virtual models, and also to the community here from whom I learned enough to more or less avoid hititng the ground. You all made my maiden flight a pleasure and a modest success.

Thanks, folks. See you at the field.

I love those stories! My experience was exactly the same: Easy Star, Real Flight, then Nitro-powered SIG Giant Kadet. Greased it in on the first flight, and I've been having fun with it ever since!

Do you mean top of the page? That's the one I dropped in and it works great.

I think mine is almost identical. IIUC, this is modeled on the WD 4. I have the WD Sportster. They appear to be identical (480 motor, etc) although this one is orange, mine red, this one slightly longer, and the wings on this one are sloped back at the tips, as opposed to straight-cut, like mine. I imagine the flight characteristics are identical?

In any case, its close enough for my purposes! I didn't have any pusher prop models in my sim at all before I found this! Thanks again!

Back