Wingtip fences?

Flapper

So I have this new Yak, waiting for the cold/snow to leave. I modified the one in RF to match, and it flys very closely to the "real" model based on the few flights I put in before the weather shut me out. But, the real one has wingtip fences. Just 1/4" flat plates on each tip, equal above and below the wing.

1. Is it worth my time to add them when editing the physics? Don't care that they won't be visible..but will RF model their aerodynamic effect?

2. Suggestions on how to model? Adding them as wing sections at 90 degrees seems to start them off at the root as the same airfoil as the wingtip, then transitioning to the flat plate at the tip of the fence. Does it matter? Or is there a better way to adjust the physics to replicate their effect, since they won't be visible, anyway?

OK, I figured out that they should be a second set of wings of the aircraft, and not subchildren of the wing. But the first question remains - do they have any impact in the flight characteristics as modeled by the physics of RF?

Those are side force generators! They give more lift when in knife edge.
you must set a moveable pods at the place you want them to be, then add the multiple wings to each other, too build the shape.

Moveable pods aren't necessary since they won't move.

OK, I figured out that they should be a second set of wings of the aircraft, and not subchildren of the wing. But the first question remains - do they have any impact in the flight characteristics as modeled by the physics of RF?

Yes they certainly do.

You can add them as sub wings with 90 degree dihedral or add them as separate wings. Either way works. There are some differences in how the physics system handles each of these cases, but probably you won't notice a difference either way.

Jim

The SGs can go anywhere you want without the use of pods. The only need for a pod is to allow it to move with a control input.

Thanks all! Especially Jim....now I have no excuse for not being able to harrier very well....darn!

Back