working on a model

mike93442

Hi. After a short test flit of an existing model.
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/4483

I decided to try to make some changes to the model to fit my tri-copter build. First I changed the motors. They were not in the list, so I modified one to the specs of the ones I’m using and saved it under the new name. Then changed the prop size. Then the over all dimensions. Then I saved the model under a new name.

OK, now here my problem, when I load the new model.

I get these error messages in this order:
Unable to find spinner frame ‘~cs_spinner2’
Unable to find spinner frame ‘~cs_spinner1’
Unable to find spinner frame ‘~cs_spinner3’

Can someone tell me what to do? I’ve only had this program for two days

Last edited:
I downloaded the model, I see the error isn't on our end but the creator of the model, there is no ~cs_spinner2 ~cs_spinner1 or ~cs_spinner3 in the list of items relating to the visual mesh in the editor. This error can only be resolved by the creator of the model.

It is also going to take some work to make it fly correctly in RF7 as it was designed for a older version of RealFlight and the physics were different back then. I may play with it a bit to make it more stable, but having never flown a Tri-copter, I wouldn't know how its supposed to fly. All my actual flights have been with conventional heli's.

Last edited:
After looking into this model further, it's looking like someone is going to have to start from scratch on the physics. The physics don't match the graphic model, then the electronics and gyros need to be replaced. In the other thread 12'o'clock stated that the rear motor tilts to turn the model and that will require a movable pod to be installed... It can be fixed but hopefully by someone who has flown an actual tri-copter.

Even after all this is done, the errors related to the visual mesh will still be there.

I downloaded the model, I see the error isn't on our end but the creator of the model, there is no ~cs_spinner2 ~cs_spinner1 or ~cs_spinner3 in the list of items relating to the visual mesh in the editor. This error can only be resolved by the creator of the model.

It is also going to take some work to make it fly correctly in RF7 as it was designed for a older version of RealFlight and the physics were different back then. I may play with it a bit to make it more stable, but having never flown a Tri-copter, I wouldn't know how its supposed to fly. All my actual flights have been with conventional heli's.

Thanks for looking at it. This project has turned into a hole in the air that just sucks up $$$ as fast as one can throw at it. I should have got one of those $20.00 toys and then when it didn’t work, I cloud have tossed it in the trash and went on to something else. They do make it look so easy on u-tube.

But as far as RealFlight goes, you would think it would be backwards compatible.

Thanks for looking at it. This project has turned into a hole in the air that just sucks up $$$ as fast as one can throw at it. I should have got one of those $20.00 toys and then when it didn’t work, I cloud have tossed it in the trash and went on to something else. They do make it look so easy on u-tube.

But as far as RealFlight goes, you would think it would be backwards compatible.

Welcome to the world of RC Aircraft :D It's just about as bad as owning a Boat.

It does get expensive, but you get what you pay for, and once you learn and get proficent in flying, it does get cheaper as you crash much less often. Those People on the Youtube videos have years of experience flying the models and as you progress, you will be as good as them eventually. Stick with the Simulator and it will help a great deal.

I imported that Y-UFO into the old G4.5 that it was designed for, and its a bad model for even back then. It flies bad all the way around. Needs new physics for sure.

A recommendation would be to go with the Blade 350 QX. Three different control modes support a wide range of flying skills, and with a GPS lock, the "return to home" function can be a great bacon saver. Only suggested mod is to replace the stock props with prop adapters & standard props.

A recommendation would be to go with the Blade 350 QX. Three different control modes support a wide range of flying skills, and with a GPS lock, the "return to home" function can be a great bacon saver. Only suggested mod is to replace the stock props with prop adapters & standard props.

That may have been OK if I hadn't already finished my build. I put a lot of time in researcher, and money building this thing,,,, And I didn't want a quad.

Last edited:
No one can tell you that ......your question is very vague

unless You tell us the name of the program you plan to use

and what you plan on doing ?/

Is it to 3d model (make an all new aircraft from scratch for RF ?
with 2012 max3ds? or wings3d? or Blender?...

OR

Do you mean the aircraft editor in RF to alter a preexisting models physics ???
If so its{
launch RF
go to the
RF toolbar > Aircraft > Edit Aircraft
when the editor opens
change its "Display Properties" to "Advanced"
or you won't be able to see all of the editable parameters

just a guess ?...I have no choice)
if you're thinking or asking if there is something IN RF to open
so you can make a new 3d model ??
if so ......you are mistaken ,,as that's not possible .

To do so requires one or more the following of ....
one of the three 3d modeling programs I listed above ...or I should say
any 3d modeling program that exports 3ds files .....
( btw .you can make the model in wings3d
but you will still need a program that can export a 3ds file
wing3d can not but some here use it to make the primary model
and then put it in 3dsmax

blender can do it all ...but not much of a knowledge base here for help with that (unless somebody is lurking)

KEMax Knife edges 3ds file exporter/converter to bring the model into RF

A photo editor that can edit TGA files like Photoshop or Gimp (free)

a steep learning curve that's not for the faint of heart

and LOTS of time for reading and searching this forum for info.
and lots of time for 3dmadeling ....
just so you know what you're getting yourself into
.it usually takes 50-150 or more hours
even for the guys who have experience
.to create a quality model

like I said your question is very vague ....

I'd work on that too.......when it comes time to ask some of these guys here who are more than willing to help you ,questions (trust me you will)
,you cant be vague...
you will need to be very clear about what you're asking
good luck

Last edited:
I actually want to build my own aircraft for Realflight 7, but i dont know what program to use

The program you want is 3DS Max from Autodesk. You can register for a Free Student copy. The compatible version is the 32bit 2012 version.

There is so much written about creating models... in the RFG4, RFG5, RF6 and RF7 forums.... much of it applies to all versions of the simulator... reading is the key fundamental activity. (all the designer forums)

Is there some one out in swap pages that likes to build or mod a plane for a fellow.

CSGill75 said it best when responding to a similiar request on another thread... so I'll quote his reply....

----

"The Click Me Reply is How to ask for a Model to be created. Just saying "Can anyone make an Ultra Sport 60 taildragger I am building a US 60 with a Saito FA-91" will get you nowhere fast on these forums. Just as your request will probably do. If you want to have a model created for Realflight the Designer's here require you to do some work as well. The average model has 40-60 HOURS of work put into them and there are many that have much more than that. The Designers and builders do not get paid for their time put into these models. If the person requesting isn't going to put any effort into the request to pique the interest of the person that is going to create the model, then it just won't get done.

As far as what your asking for. the stock trainers all have tricycle landing gear. have you searched the swap pages for more aircraft? While not specifically labeled a Trainer i like DHK79's Sig Rascal as a tail dragger Trainer type aircraft. It has gentle Flight characteristics and may suit your needs. there is a .40 size Variant available too. DHK79's physics are usually spot on so expect these planes to fly much like the real thing. There may be others but then again there are thousands of aircraft available on the Swap pages so you may be good to browse them. RF7 can use all aircraft from G3.x to RF6.x so everything is available to you from those pages."

Question, has anyone created a Donier Do X, I am not able (lack of expertise) to to do so. This is a multi engine model and totally beyond me?

Question, has anyone created a Donier Do X, I am not able (lack of expertise) to to do so. This is a multi engine model and totally beyond me?

No one has made a Dornier Do-X (yet). the only difference between a single engine model and a multi engine model is the size of the project and number of parts. and to a lesser extent not running out of triangles part way through before you are finished. I have want a Do-X my self but I have been unsure of the wider "excitement" or want for it in the more casual fliers on realflight.

I am a great fan of the Maxford Donier Do X is there anyone who can create this model? I have not enough experience for creating models.

Back