zMore than one airplane spawn point in 2D photo field

SB1986930

Is it possible to have more than one airplane spawn point in a 2D photo field? I'm creating a photofield for out club and can add more than one airplane spawn location, but it defaults to the last one created and I haven't figured out how to toggle between the different iarplane spawn points.

No. This can be a little difficult for people to wrap their head around at first. I'll see if I can explain in a way that makes sense.

Imagine a real-world photograph of your local flying field. You can look around at different parts of the image by moving your eyes and head. But no matter what you do, no matter how you rotate the picture or move your head around, nothing will change the point of view of that photo. It was taken from a specific point in space, and all it can ever show is that perspective.

What RealFlight does is more elaborate, but it is essentially the same thing. The photograph it uses happens to show a 360-degree view around the camera, so when you look around at the photo you see more of the world than a typical photo captures, but you're still just looking around at different parts of a photo that was taken from a specific point in the world. You can't change that perspective. Portraying a different point of view requires a new, separate photo (panoramic image), which then means a separate airport in RealFlight that uses it.

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the thorough reply, but I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not asking about multiple "Pilot" spawn locations and understand how the pilot point of view cannot be altered.

I'm asking about multiple "Airplane" spawn points. We taxi aircraft from two different locations at our field and I'd like to give club members the choice to select which spot the plane spans at. This can be done in 3D airports and seems like it should also be possible in 2D photo fields as well.

Ah, my mistake! Funnily enough I think I originally read that late last night and correctly understood it, but when I came through this morning I did not. šŸ˜…

The way RealFlight chooses a vehicle spawn location is quite complicated under the hood, but most of those details aren't relevant to end users. In short, RealFlight is choosing the plane spawn nearest the pilot spawn (camera location). Because there can only be one pilot spawn at a PhotoField, vehicles will only ever spawn at the same place. See this post for some additional info if you're interested.

I hope that helps!

Back