How to host without a upnp firewall.

akschu

Ok, I have this all figured out. It's kind of a hack, but it does work:

1. Configure your firewall to port forward port 2300 tcp/udp from your public address to the internal nat'd address of your pc running realflight. Since there are a zillion firewalls I can't help you with this part, but it should be straight forward for most.

2. Add the loopback adaptor in your pc.
A. Goto your control panel then click add hardware.
B. Tell it you already added the hardware.
C. From the list choose "Add new hardware device."
D. Install hardware manually from a list.
E. Choose "Network Adaptors."
F. Choose "Microsoft" as the vendor and "Microsoft Loopback adaptor" as the device.
G. "Next" then "Finish" to install the adaptor.
H. Go to your network connections and find the loopback adaptor.
I. Now edit the properties and go to the tcp/ip properties.
J. Set the IP address to be the same as your public IP address. You can find it with www.whatismyip.com.
K. Set the netmask to be 255.255.255.252.
L. Now exit the device and network properties.

3. Now go to host a realflight session but make sure you define port 2300 when you setup your hosting.

Operation: It seems that realflight only needs one port if you define it, so we use port 2300, the only other problem is that realflight doesn't detect your public IP address, so we add a second virtual interface to the pc with the public IP address in it. That way when realflight goes to figure out what your public IP address is, it finds it bound to your loopback interface.

Note: If you have stuff you host on your public address such as a webserver or something your windows PC won't be able to see it because it thinks your public IP address is local. The solution is to disable the msloopback interface when your not using realflight.

KnifeEdge: The easiest solution to these problems is to allow people to define the public address in the hosting setup screen That would make this all work without this loopback interface hack.

So all that said, I have hosted several games and it works fine, but it does take a little bit of network know how before it works.

Thanks,
AKSchu.

Last edited:
It's a local "virtual" adaptor that usually refers back to the machine itself...

e.g. http://localhost normally points to your own machine.

The normal mechanisms assign reserved address 127.0.0.1 to the loopback adaptor.

The above "hack" (great idea) give the loopback the public IP address.

opjose said:
It's a local "virtual" adaptor that usually refers back to the machine itself...

e.g. http://localhost normally points to your own machine.

The normal mechanisms assign reserved address 127.0.0.1 to the loopback adaptor.

The above "hack" (great idea) give the loopback the public IP address.

Thank you for the quick response. I will give it a try when I get home tonight! :)

Hi,
all of the above works except where i add the public address to the loopback adaptor, windows give me a error saying please enter a valid ip address and subnet mask

this is windows xp

and fix for that?

thank you

Exactly the info I was looking for. Made the changes and all is well. Running behind a linux fw..

Thx for takin the time to put the info together!

All the best

akschu said:
Ok, I have this all figured out. It's kind of a hack, but it does work:

1. Configure your firewall to port forward port 2300 tcp/udp from your public address to the internal nat'd address of your pc running realflight. Since there are a zillion firewalls I can't help you with this part, but it should be straight forward for most.

2. Add the loopback adaptor in your pc.
A. Goto your control panel then click add hardware.
B. Tell it you already added the hardware.
C. From the list choose "Add new hardware device."
D. Install hardware manually from a list.
E. Choose "Network Adaptors."
F. Choose "Microsoft" as the vendor and "Microsoft Loopback adaptor" as the device.
G. "Next" then "Finish" to install the adaptor.
H. Go to your network connections and find the loopback adaptor.
I. Now edit the properties and go to the tcp/ip properties.
J. Set the IP address to be the same as your public IP address. You can find it with www.whatismyip.com.
K. Set the netmask to be 255.255.255.252.
L. Now exit the device and network properties.

3. Now go to host a realflight session but make sure you define port 2300 when you setup your hosting.

Operation: It seems that realflight only needs one port if you define it, so we use port 2300, the only other problem is that realflight doesn't detect your public IP address, so we add a second virtual interface to the pc with the public IP address in it. That way when realflight goes to figure out what your public IP address is, it finds it bound to your loopback interface.

Note: If you have stuff you host on your public address such as a webserver or something your windows PC won't be able to see it because it thinks your public IP address is local. The solution is to disable the msloopback interface when your not using realflight.

KnifeEdge: The easiest solution to these problems is to allow people to define the public address in the hosting setup screen That would make this all work without this loopback interface hack.

So all that said, I have hosted several games and it works fine, but it does take a little bit of network know how before it works.

Thanks,
AKSchu.

Dude, you're de MAN!

Hmmmm....

Just the fact that this networking knowledge is required to host is just plain rediculous. I have been searching around to figure out why 3.5 can't find the public ip for about 3 weeks now, off and on. This is software folks, either it should be written in the manual on how to configure your firewall and router to host, or it should be done automatically. This is published software which most of us spent alot of money already, why do we need the added headaches? Come on KE, do your part! :mad:

th0rg0d said:
Just the fact that this networking knowledge is required to host is just plain rediculous. I have been searching around to figure out why 3.5 can't find the public ip for about 3 weeks now, off and on. This is software folks, either it should be written in the manual on how to configure your firewall and router to host, or it should be done automatically. This is published software which most of us spent alot of money already, why do we need the added headaches? Come on KE, do your part! :mad:
Just disable your firewall. I do. Besides, it's not Ke's fault. The firwall is on your computer, not their software. 99.9 % of software out there that has multiplayer has problems hooking up with other computers because of the firewall. That is the firewalls job! To keep other computers out! Its not ke's fault, it's yours

Amazing

GEEE DUHHH HOW COME ALL (AND I MEAN ALL) OF MY OTHER GAMES ALLOW
ME TO HOST WITHOUT EVEN TURNING OFF MY FIREWALL! AND I HAVE A LINKSYS ROUTER!...SOUNDS TO ME LIKE WE HAVE A MAJOR KE COPOUT.

THIS PROGRAM COST TO MUCH TO BE GIVING RUN AROUND.
MOST GAMES HAVE AN .INI FILE YOU CAN EDIT AN YOU PLACE YOUR
INTERNET IP INTO IT. PRESTO! YOUR HOSTING, NOT THIS SOFTWARE.
THATS WHY YOU ONLY SEE 4 OR 5 GAMES HOSTED ON HERE!
MOST PEOPLE CANT HOST! DUHHH!

I HAVE 5 FRIENDS THAT HAVE THIS AND THEY CAN'T HOST EITHER....
HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A FIREWALL AT ALL.

POORLY WRITTEN SOFWARE.

I'M DONE :rolleyes:

MADDOGRHODY said:
ME TO HOST WITHOUT EVEN TURNING OFF MY FIREWALL! AND I HAVE A LINKSYS ROUTER!...SOUNDS TO ME LIKE WE HAVE A MAJOR KE COPOUT.

THIS PROGRAM COST TO MUCH TO BE GIVING RUN AROUND.
MOST GAMES HAVE AN .INI FILE YOU CAN EDIT AN YOU PLACE YOUR
INTERNET IP INTO IT. PRESTO! YOUR HOSTING, NOT THIS SOFTWARE.
THATS WHY YOU ONLY SEE 4 OR 5 GAMES HOSTED ON HERE!
MOST PEOPLE CANT HOST! DUHHH!

I HAVE 5 FRIENDS THAT HAVE THIS AND THEY CAN'T HOST EITHER....
HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A FIREWALL AT ALL.

POORLY WRITTEN SOFWARE.

I'M DONE :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: If it was bad software, then why can I host with no problems? did i just get a good copy of the software?

MADDOGRHODY said:
ME TO HOST WITHOUT EVEN TURNING OFF MY FIREWALL!

Gee, I didn't know Minesweeper had an online multiplayer feature!

-Case

Omg

Are you 3?
Mine Sweeper?? You will be ok.

MS Flight Sim X multiplayers, HALO
All EA Sports games
Flatout2
Nascar 2005 by Papyrus
All NovaLogic games
Just to name a few...

PLEASE... :rolleyes:

Anyone with half a brain can see the network module in G3 is a hurting unit!

NETWORK GAMING IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE....

AND YOU THINK THERE IS ONLY 5 GAMES LISTED UNDER (JOIN) BECAUSE WHY??

HUMOR ME PLEASE :rolleyes:

What part of SIM don't you understand ...

MADDOGRHODY said:
AND YOU THINK THERE IS ONLY 5 GAMES LISTED UNDER (JOIN) BECAUSE WHY??
HUMOR ME PLEASE :rolleyes:
Because some of us are here to learn and fly in a simulated environment, leaving OTHER environments to the gamers. Or, at least that's MY rationale in answer to your question.

By the way, in reply to your rude comment, I happen to think I have more than a half-brain, and not only do I NOT see the network module in G3 is a hurting unit, but even if it is, I DON"T CARE!

Take your nice pills before you come back to my house.

Omg

ANOTHER GEORGE BUSH VERSION OF
FREEDOM OF SPEECH!
:rolleyes:

WHEN YOU PAY LOTS OF MONEY FOR A SIMULATOR YOU WANT ALL FEATURES AN FUNCTIONALITY OF THAT SOFTWARE TO WORK!!!! IT'S JUST THAT SIMPLE..

OMG :rolleyes:

rjmanzuk said:
Because some of us are here to learn and fly in a simulated environment, leaving OTHER environments to the gamers. Or, at least that's MY rationale in answer to your question.

Dude... what the heck are you talking about. :eek: :confused:
He's talking about the known issues with hosting Realflight on the internet when behind a router. The network interface in Realflight G3.5 indeed has issues in that it does not allow proper setup for varying network configurations. Online game play is online game play... that simply.

By the way, in reply to your rude comment, I happen to think I have more than a half-brain, and not only do I NOT see the network module in G3 is a hurting unit, but even if it is, I DON"T CARE!

You really don't get it... do you. Next time, you might just want to let the network gurus speak... this is a networking issue for multiplayer mode. If you enjoy single player... that's fine. This post is about multiplayer mode. Remember?

Take your nice pills before you come back to my house.

I think they might also make "network knowledge" pills too.... :cool:

Ok, question, is this all about who's **** is bigger or are we going to get things done? First of all. Everyone stop with the rude, obnoxis comments. Maddog, if you don't like this SIMULATOR, and want to PLAY GAMES online, then go get fs one. We here take great pride in our SIMULATOR. No, it's not perfect, But yelling and screaming about it and everyone who tries to help is so not solving any problems. Lay off the attutude. Simple as that. Keep it up, and you liable to get banned.

Back