DX6 & G3.5

blax1

Hello Everyone
Forgive my ignorance but I've looked all of over this forum but I can't see it, is there any discussion regarding setting up a DX6 Tx and G3.5. can someone hyper link the location of the discussion to me, I want to run my DX6 Tx via the interlink controller is that possible??

Thanks in advance
Ralph

It's too bad that the search function won't allow 3 characters. Yields a search on 'dx6' useless.

jeffpn said:
It's too bad that the search function won't allow 3 characters. Yields a search on 'dx6' useless.

Yes mate, I tried all that, even the word Spektrum yields very little, but I'm sure people must be using it. Just hoping someone will help!! :)

Last edited:
It should work the same as any other radio, except for the fact that the JR's need to be powered OFF when connected to the cable running to the interlink. Is there a specific question you have or reason to believe it won't work with your DX6? We have a DX7 in house and it works fine...

Hey Joe
Thankyou for your response :)
No specific problem at this stage, I haven't even tried it yet, but I will tonight when I get home from work, I was just interested in any comments etc or possible difficulties that other people may have experienced, I thought there may be a thread here about it.

Cheers Ralph

blax1 said:
Hey Joe
Thankyou for your response :)
No specific problem at this stage, I haven't even tried it yet, but I will tonight when I get home from work, I was just interested in any comments etc or possible difficulties that other people may have experienced, I thought there may be a thread here about it.

Cheers Ralph

Not about a DX6, but I hooked up my DX7 and used it. Here's my observations. First, like a JR, it needs to be powered off when you plug in the cable (the unit that's powered off is the trainer's unit, the one powered on is the teachers unit, and you want it to act like it's the trainer's). If you want to be able to use anything other than just the normal flight controls, like flaps or smoke or langing gear, then don't use either of the P-Link modes in the trainer selection screen, use normal mode instead (or you can leave trainer mode turned off entirely, when you plug in a trainer cable with the power switch turned off, my controller automatically goes into trainer mode as the slave).

I would highly recommend that you set up one model in your controller solely for the purpose of interacting with RealFlight. Here's why. If you use a model memory slot that is also used to control a real plane, and you have adjusted the end points of your servos for that model, then when you calibrate the controller in real flight, the channels that don't have a stick to them (gear, flaps, and aux2 in my case) will *not* get calibrated correctly. For example, if you have set the end point on your elevator servo to be 125% of normal, then after calibration, RealFlight will think your gear flap is at 80% when activated, not 100%. I can't be sure, but I think RF assumes that when one channel goes up to some high servo activation level, that the highest one it sees during calibration is the max output for all the non-stick based channels. So, in the model memory that I set aside for controlling Real Flight, I made sure that all my sub trims were set to 0, all my travel adjustments were set to 100%, and all my dual rates/exponentials were set to provide at most no more than 100% servo travel (so high rate goes from nothing to 100%, low rate goes from nothing to 67% in my setup).

Once you have the model setup, turn the transmitter off, plug in the link cable from the interlink controller, and do the normal stuff the instructions say to calibrate the controller. The one tip I have here is that when you get to the screen in real flight where it tells you to move the sticks in several circles, also throw the switches for the 2 other channels. This seems to help them get calibrated more accurately, but that could just be my imagination.

Once that's done, if your DX6 is like my DX7, you aren't quite finished. The channels from my DX7 do not map to what RF thinks they should. So, I had to go into Controller->Channel Mapping and reset the mapping to get things to work. Here's what I used:

Channel 1 -> no Reverse -> Channel 3 - Throttle
Channel 2 -> Reverse -> Channel 1 - Roll
Channel 3 -> no Reverse -> Channel 2 - Pitch
Channel 4 -> Reverse -> Channel 4 - Yaw
Channel 5 -> Reverse -> Channel 7 - Smoke (this is the channel I would guess you are most likely to not use having only a 6 channel transmitter, so you may have to move the items I have on channel 6 and 7 around to 5 and 6 in order to get things to work like you want)
Channel 6 -> Reverse -> Channel 6 - Knob
Channel 7 -> Reverse -> Channel 8 - 3-Pos. Switch

With that mapping, I can fly the P-51 Mustang and gear does gear, flaps does flaps, and aux2 does smoke. I set up the controller itself so that the dual rates on the controller is controlled by the elevator D/R switch so it would match the interlink's D/R switch location.

My only complaint with this setup is that it occasionally has little glitches in the control inputs. I don't know why the DX7 as a trainer has glitches, I assume it has something to do with the signals going over the trainer cable because in actual usage with a real plane my DX7 has been 100% glitch free.

Anyway, HTH.

Hello dledfrod

Thank you very much for your response also, I take my hat off to you!! :) You certainly put a lot of work into your post , and I sincerely appreciate it. Last night I went and found all the cables that came in the RF box, and I connected the DX6 up via the interlink, and nothing happened, no response what so ever, now I need to explain I'm NO technician "Strictly plug and play" when this happened I clicked on the controller menu to try and default it another controller but the menu didn't appear to have that capability, so I just exited and disconnect the DX6 and went back to the interlink to fly my helicopter, my concern was I may have inadvertently created some other problems so I just decided to leave it and learn more about it!! This is where your information will be invaluable, the weekend is almost upon us its Friday morning here 0900, so tonight armed with this new info- I will try again :)
Thanks for your help!!!!!
Cheers Ralph

Hi dledford,

Thank you for this information. It was frustrating not knowing if it would work or not. I was always able to get the four axis to work, but none of the switches would do a thing in the mapping config (no movement). Now I have it set to my liking. Too bad there is not a mapping for the restart button. :cool:

Another vote of thanks.

For anyone else still having problems note that the DX6 should be in Airplane mode, not Heli, and that Dual Rate needs to be off.
This is documented in the RF manual, but I didn't even know I had that until I'd fixed these two :rolleyes:

I read elsewhere it is possible to run the DX6 using the power cable rather than having to use the internal battery.

According to the post you remove the battery from the DX6, hook up the power cable, then plug in to the trainer. This way you can use your DX6 with a sim without draining the battery. Can't test this myself since I don't have a DX6 but thought it might be useful to the thread. Can you confirm this works?

pass through

I use pass through in heli mode and with a little tweeking my dx6 works great in 3.5, turn ccpm off on the tx but you can still use dual rates, i love playing with the tx to see the results, never wanna try that in the field.

Back