Seawind

dhk79

I just bought a Seawind ARF and, since I can weigh all of the parts as they go together, thought I'd model it for G3 at the same time. Besides I also see it is a fairly popular request.

It'll take me a couple of weeks, but I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• sstarsideview.jpg
    sstarsideview.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Seawind.jpg
    Seawind.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20060826Leamington027.jpg
    20060826Leamington027.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 44
Because I seem to be too lazy to really learn to use 3D Studio the right way, I keep falling back to what I find to be quick & easy. The program is Wings 3D and what you you see here was only a little over an hour's work. It would have taken me MUCH longer to do it in Max.

Totaly agree, gmax is horrible. No offense gmax users but I totaly dislike it. I can probably do what you have done in an hours or sooner worth on Blender too. Gmax is to confusing and hard, really. I couldn't even find out how to get all the vertices to show like you can in Blender and Wings. Nice work.

3D modelling is pretty much complete. Starting to do the UVW mapping in 3D Studio.

Attachments

• Seawind 4.jpg
    Seawind 4.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 34
3D model and UVW mapping are complete. Now to get the component weights and airfoil shapes from the ARF to adjust the physics model. Then the last step will be to paint it.

Attachments

• Seawind 5.jpg
    Seawind 5.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 28
You guys are awesome :D I really need to learn how to make my own planes :confused: I should have enough computing power just need more time.

OK, painting came first. I got tired of looking at the pink monstrosity. ;)

Attachments

• Seawind 6.jpg
    Seawind 6.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 25
The Seawind is up on the swap pages Click Here

Let me know what you think of her. After I get my ARF assembled, I'll double check the incedence angles but I think the model is pretty true to life.

Attachments

• RealFlight 2007-03-31.jpg
    RealFlight 2007-03-31.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
  • RealFlight 2007-03-31 2.jpg
    RealFlight 2007-03-31 2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 20
WAY COOL. I downloaded your plane and flew it a bit. I gave it a 10. Nice work. For anybody out there, I agree gmax is a pain and takes nearly 2 weeks for me to build a plane, so I was determined to use Blender and found a way to get it to work. And I did.

Nice job, dhk. Flies great. Will the real one have that glide ratio? It doesn't want to land!!!

jeffpn said:
Nice job, dhk. Flies great. Will the real one have that glide ratio? It doesn't want to land!!!

Truthfully, I don't know yet. I'm just getting started with assembling mine. Weight and wing loading are where they should be based on all the parts that will go into her (right in the range the manufacture says they should be). I do know that planes of this configuration will tend to float a little in ground effect, but that just makes it easier to set down on the water.

My first test flights are going to be off land. Then there is a float fly scheduled in May, by one of our local clubs. I'll be taking her up to that for her water christening.

Water, water, everywhere ...

... and not a drop to land in!

Is there NO-ONE at KE interested in adding a waterous ( :confused: ) takeoff/landing surface for us to fly from/to? I know Inky00 was toying with this, but with limited success last time I saw his results. But kudos for trying, friend.

Nice bird, dhk, and still another incentive to add an amphibious capability to R/F G3.X. :cool:

Rimmy said:
I am amazed you could turn out a plane in 3 days..... thats awesome!! -Tim
After you've done a dozen or so, they get a lot faster. Plus I've got things like engines, wheels, panels, and pilots that I've modeled for other planes that I can just scale and reuse.
Also on this one, I decided not to do any of the really neat scale stuff. While it can be fun to figure out and do, you can't see it unless the plane is in your face. Would you believe that this plane has less than 6000 polygons. It shouldn't put a load on anyone's system.

Back