Moller Skycar

inky00

I have finally done it.The Moller Skycar is done and on the swap pages.I have had the model done for ages but had been having problems getting it to fly,along came ryan and within 1 day he had a flying model that was fantastic.A huge thanks to Ryan"The Kid"Archer for making this model possible.I hope you all enjoy it.It is fun to fly and capable of some great tricks.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1177440555.jpg
    ScreenShot1177440555.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 64
  • ScreenShot1177440574.jpg
    ScreenShot1177440574.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ScreenShot1177440598.jpg
    ScreenShot1177440598.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
very cool! takes some getting used to. I noticed that over 70mph it gets shaky, and over like 85 or 90, it starts getting crazy hard to control. wants to do it's own thing at those speeds. how would you go about solving that? other than that, fricken awesome!

Looks good. I was thinking about trying to tackle that one. I'll down load it later and give it a try. Did you know that Moller has come out with a new design for the M400 that improves the power off glide ratio? These were the only pictures I could find so far.

Doug

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 354
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 355
  • Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 351
I've been working on the physics of this for quite some time.

I actually have a flyable version that does not resort to "fudging" or adding extraneous wings as Ryan had to, to maintain stability.

The problem I've been having with it is that I need the throttle to actuate the pod movement, but the pod movment must also be somewhat speed dependant.

The end result is the throttle ends up controling altitude ( and engine speed ) while the elevator controls forward/backward movement... Mimicing Molier's original intended control structure with computer assistance. No pitch movements are controlled by the user.

G3 provides no mechanism for speed dependant reaction.

thanks for the compliments......

opjose said:
I've been working on the physics of this for quite some time.

I actually have a flyable version that does not resort to "fudging" or adding extraneous wings as Ryan had to, to maintain stability.

The problem I've been having with it is that I need the throttle to actuate the pod movement, but the pod movment must also be somewhat speed dependant.

The end result is the throttle ends up controling altitude ( and engine speed ) while the elevator controls forward/backward movement... Mimicing Molier's original intended control structure with computer assistance. No pitch movements are controlled by the user.

G3 provides no mechanism for speed dependant reaction.

I saw the first interation of this thing many years ago ( in the 70's? ) in Popular Mechanics.

opjose said:
The problem I've been having with it is that I need the throttle to actuate the pod movement, but the pod movement must also be somewhat speed dependant.
You could try making an input with a sloooow moving servo tied to the throttle for your speed dependent motion. It's a bit of a fake out, but it will allow the change in throttle to have some effect on the speed of the aircraft before it moved the pods.

Doug

That's a good idea.

But I really wish I could have something like this when it slows down.

Maybe some future version of G3 could allow for inputs or changes to the inputs, to be triggered by user set flags, etc.

It would allow for some interesting simulations of other planes and systems.

I have just done a quick params edit. I removed the wing and changed only Electronics and Software radio settings. (Actualy only added)

Electronics.
2 new mixers for pitch
2 new mixers for roll (actualy, this is not hooked up in my V3 or 4)

software
aded a knob to pitch adjustment to allow a triming + plus also added -1 incedese to the tail wing.

By no means perfect. but it flys now without the wing. (well a lot weasier than before)

ps. i made no changes to motors props etc. so it is OK to overwrite any of those. (Better to just click do not install on each option)

Feeb back welcome (Expected)

Thanks to Mark and Ryan (the Kid) Archer for a wonderfull job.

Giving you an 8

I have changed that to a 9
and i have changed by AV to V4 now :) this thing is Fun.

Took High rates away. and also changed pod location etc to mimic visual.

Attachments

• Skycar Bryce 3_AV.G3X
    28.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Skycar Bryce 4_AV.G3X
    28.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I hate the people who give others hard work low ratings. They shouldnt be allowed to rate in the first place if they haven't build any Ea's, Cs's, or Av's. :rolleyes: I wish.......

Anyway enough of that, Great design, Ty and I didnt rate it one, instead 2 :p Only kidding. Anything less than a 8 is tasteless.

My Final Edit

Center all you trims.

Don’t expect to yaw the thing in high speed flight.

Take it easy coming back into a hover.

from a hover expedite to forward flight by increasing throttle and changing Pod pitching via the nob together..

well I think you all know how to fly it. so hopefully . Have fun.

PS i took a bottom Vertical tail wing out. I think it is an unnecessary addition (Kinda having blind faith in G3 here ;) ) .

PS, Not sure it is worth going on the swap pages. So any feed back that could improve it is welcome. Inky00 thanks again ;)

Attachments

• Skycar Bryce 6 Gold_AV.G3X
    28.7 KB · Views: 10
Back