Rutan Boomerang

dhk79

Rimmy said:
hey Doug, you must be a big Rutan fan aren't you :D

one of these days remind me to convince you to make a model for his Boomerang! DAMN what an aircraft!!

tb_9611STTRAA.jpg

tb_9611STTRAG.gif

this would be a FANTASTIC R/C model I would think! -Tim

Just for you, Tim (well sort of, at least you gave me the goad).

I started by using the above 3-view from Popular Mechanics and rapidly determined that it really did stink for modeling purposes. I had most of the plane modeled, but didn't like how parts of it were turning out. For example, that 3-view only had a top image for the left fuselage. I took me a couple of hours of searching, but I found a better one to use. But when I loaded the new templates and scaled/moved them to match what I'd already done, I found that they didn't quite match PopMech's 3-view in a couple of areas.

So I'm pretty much starting from scatch again. I guess that I'll keep the gear & spinners, but it's easier to scrap the wing & fuse than try to fix them.

Doug

Attachments

• boomerang1.jpg
    boomerang1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 25
oh this is going to be AWESOME Doug. i'm going to make sure my uncle gets a copy.

I call dibs on messing with the physics! oh MAN this thing is going to be awesome! you rule bro! this is one of my all time fav planes, just because of how asymetrical it REALLY is, and the fact that it flies very well according to all reports i've read! -Tim

That didn't take too long, less than two hours. Goes faster the second time around. At any rate, the 3D modeling is completed.

I still have to do the linking & pivots and then it'll be ready to export into Real Flight. Shouldn't take me very long to do that.

Tim,
If you want to do the physics, PM me with your email address and I'll send you the KEX file.

I'll continue to work of the texture map.

Doug

Attachments

• boomerang2.jpg
    boomerang2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 32
brian94066 said:
wow, does that really flies?

it looks like it came from an old sci fi flick about alien technologies o_O

not only DOES it fly... according to all its telemtry data its THE most stable twin engine aircraft ever made!!

the engines are perfectly matched and the offset in the wings accomodates for the torque roll from the propellers.

its a fantastic piece of aviation! -Tim

The 3D model & texture map are completed. Tim (Rimmy) is currently messing with the physics. So the Boomerang should be ready for posting shortly.

Doug

Attachments

• boomerang3.jpg
    boomerang3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 34
wow Frank that is simply fantastic! I can't believe someone has a LARGE scale flying RC of that! that is too cool!

I will play around with the physics tonight. I did some work on the P-38 last night. she is flyin well. :)

I can't wait to see this sucker go! -Tim

Read the bottom part of post # 2.. not exactly what I was talking about, But . Wow.

Good work there Doug and Tim. look forward to having a fly of this one.

Still not ready for prime time

Rimmy is off playing with the physics, but I thought some of the rest of you might like a quick preview. Even with mostly RF defaults, she does fly. Not particularly well yet, but you can get her off the ground and back down in one piece.

Doug

Attachments

• Boomerang_EA.G3X
    466.5 KB · Views: 40
  • ScreenShot1179275811.jpg
    ScreenShot1179275811.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 45
hey doug, can i give a shot at the flight physics?
ryan

anyways,
here is a mopdel i took 30 mins and did.
great job on the CAD modelling,
i only did the flight model
ryan

Attachments

• Boomerang_RA_EA.g3x
    462.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Sure, just give your AV a different name and post it here in the designer's corner. The final rendition will probably be a composite of several people's work. Try to avoid just artificially moving the CG, but adjust component weights and/or add ballast if it seems appropriate.

Doug

I ran accross it because I wanted to change the Cowled Stearman, to reflect my 40S Nitroplanes Stearman.

stearman6.jpg

Look familiar?

Anyway I couldn't get it to behave the same way as my smaller plane until I started changing the airfoils.

I guessed at which airfoil to use, then decided to research it.

The database shows that I was off by one number...

I'm going to do the blue colorscheme too.

pt17blue3.jpg

What a timely post of a plane!

I just got the Stearman.

I was quite jazzed to see it up on the swaps.

hey guys don't think i'm a physics guru. PLEASE make some yourself. :) I also have a pretty demanding job IRL and can't always get to this. my family takes precidense over this (my daughter is about to be 18 months old :) )

I'm not going to be offended. i'll just post my take on it as an AV as well. :) great job Doug! it looks fantastic! -Tim

Ryan C. Archer said:
i poisted my av on my post up there.
ryan

Ryan,

It is better to post aircraft mods as an AV with a different name. While you renamed the G3X file that you posted, the internal AV was still named Boomerang and would overwrite the original file if inadvertently loaded. Don't worry about reposting, I renamed mine so that I could easily load yours.

Regardless of how it might fly, I won't be able to use what you've done so far anyway. This is a scale aircraft being modeled, so you can't cheat the physics. The basic ground rules (at least mine) for doing the physics of a scale aircraft are:

1) Placement of the physics model components must match the 3D model's, as these were created from drawings of the full scale aircraft. You may make minor adjustments to incidence but not placement or shape.
2) CG adjustment parameters are not allowed unless there is a physical reason for them (i.e. unusual placement of heavy internal parts).
3) All components must remain enclosed in or part of the aircraft (i.e. no phantom parts).

You're more than welcome to keep trying, but it is going to take you a lot longer than 30 minutes to do it right.

Doug

Last edited:
Back