F5U Flying Pancake

rcplanefubar

One of my favorite planes of all time the F5U Flying Pancake. Well here is my next project. Still need to cut out the control surfaces, canopy, and finish the landing gear.

Question; should I even define any wings on this model ? It is basically a flying wing or you could call it a lifting body aircraft.

Attachments

• pancake render.JPG
    pancake render.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 58
I probably would define the lifting surface as a wing, only because RF does not treat fuselage sections the same way.

I found this out when doing a plane with elevons. It flew entirely different when a wing section (opposed to a fuselage section) was on the movable pod. Even though both were the same dimensions and had the same airfoil assign.

OK what am I doing wrong here? I'm trying to cut the rudders loose. I highlighted the lines and using the "Loop Cut" function. Is this the correct function to use? This is what I used on my last model. When I loop cut this one the section looks like this :confused:
This is Wings3D by the way.

Attachments

• loop cut.JPG
    loop cut.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Loop cut would be the correct function. Is it possible that you had something else selected, in addition the the lines you wanted to cut?

Did you try to make the cut in one operation or two?

If it was only one, that may be the problem. In this case, I usually make two horizontal cuts at the top & bottom of the rudder. Then cut the rudder out of the remaining center section. After that I rejoin the three pieces of stabilizer.

dhk79 said:
Did you try to make the cut in one operation or two?

If it was only one, that may be the problem. In this case, I usually make two horizontal cuts at the top & bottom of the rudder. Then cut the rudder out of the remaining center section. After that I rejoin the three pieces of stabilizer.
Yeah I think your right I'm cutting it all wrong. It was the under layer showing though. Now I will go try it your way "the right way"

Attachments

• pancake render 2.JPG
    pancake render 2.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 25
Blade Scraper said:
Your really good! This is your best plane yet! :D
Thanks Blade. It really helped that I love this plane so much. I still remember learning about it on the history channel when I was just knee high to a grasshopper.

Progress report time. Cutting out the control surfaces was a pain in the you know what but, I learned a lot. Thanks again to dhk79 for his help and patience.

Should be done soon I hope :D I added some pics so you guys can see what it looks like with props and paint.

Attachments

• pancake render front.JPG
    pancake render front.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 24
  • pancake render rear.JPG
    pancake render rear.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 24
  • xf5u1ah_6.jpg
    xf5u1ah_6.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 50
  • xf5u1ah_7.jpg
    xf5u1ah_7.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Looking Great!!! I think for the engine sounds it should go, BA DING DING DING BAAA DIDDLE DA BAHHH!!! LOL J/K!!!

Wow! Very nice work on your third Fub...

I'm liking your style already, looking forward to this one.

Frank...

BigGuyJT said:
Looking Great!!! I think for the engine sounds it should go, BA DING DING DING BAAA DIDDLE DA BAHHH!!! LOL J/K!!!
LMAO speaking of that I just made a cockpit area. Anyone want to make a crazy frog pilot or know where to find one?

Attachments

• pancake canopy.JPG
    pancake canopy.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 23
Wingman57 said:
Hey RC plane Fubar did you bye Wings3D or dowload and if you did buy it how much is it.??
Download it FREE at www.wings3d.com. Its good for making the model, Cutting ,and naming parts. But you need something like 3dsmax to finish it and convert it into a kex file.

is this thing a turbo-prop? it looks wicked-weird!! but i'd still like to try it out. where can i learn more about this plane?

pawraith said:
is this thing a turbo-prop? it looks wicked-weird!! but i'd still like to try it out. where can i learn more about this plane?
No it's not a turbo prop,i don't think they were invented yet in wwII.

oh, i didnt realize it was WWII vintage. i was just going by the pics. it does look like there are turbine intakes on it. but anyways, i still can't wait to fly it. keep up the nice work.

cheers, chris

edit: i found some info on it, it was a P&W Radial engine. still looks really cool though.

Last edited:
Back