Adding the effects of a parachute

RocketFlyer

Is there a way to add a drag component that would act similar to a parachute (like in the space shuttle landing) in RF that could be deployed on demand?

Oliver

Hmmm...

A hemisphere of panels with pivots could make for an interesting parachute effect.

opjose said:
Hmmm...

A hemisphere of panels with pivots could make for an interesting parachute effect.
Wow. Now we know it could be done. But how do we hide all the Surface area untill it is Deployed ? I wish this could be done.

Crows feet spoiler systems would be the go.. That rocket wants to cruse 140kph for ever. and it near never slows down... hehe. I have made an aproach several times and thought that it, its going to settle now..... Now!.... Now ??? OK go around and Stall Plop......

You can add spoilers, and even add a second surface area to give a drag effect, IE one spoiler and one flap....

the Only other way would be to find the stall speed and come in with a little High Glide slope and adjust just before touch down.... This is hard. but saticfying...

Dont know the Technical term But i guess I'm trying to say a High alpha aproach to reduce speed. Maybe OP could do a Video. (If he is guessing what I mean about that ;) :confused: )

Crows feet.

how bout (for now anyway) putting a wing out the back of the plane then set the lift factor to zero, lower the weight as far as possible then put two control surfaces on it and make them so they flare to a 90 degre angle each way thus making a big panel

Alex T
(just a quick idea i thought of) :eek:

flyingpigs647 said:
how bout (for now anyway) putting a wing out the back of the plane then set the lift factor to zero, lower the weight as far as possible then put two control surfaces on it and make them so they flare to a 90 degre angle each way thus making a big panel

Alex T
(just a quick idea i thought of) :eek:
your catching on quickly. ;)
But you will have to have some lift or else it is useless. and if you add the lift then there becomes an imbalance.

it is possible to make an intricate series of pods and wings where at the flick of a switch they unfold and form a Parasail or Drag drone etc etc. but while folded up they are still an effective wing (IE G3 simulates them as a wing, When folded or extended, there is now way to effectivly remove it from the virtual airstream. not YET :( )

Last edited:
HX3D014 said:
That rocket wants to cruse 140kph for ever. and it near never slows down... hehe. I have made an aproach several times and thought that it, its going to settle now..... Now!.... Now ??? OK go around and Stall Plop......
:D We only had one (unsuccessful) flight of this model so it's hard to say how it would have behaved during landing, but from my past experience with an 8 ft wingspan rocket glider I built we experienced the exact same thing you are describing. You get the plane just a couple of feet above the ground for landing and it will keep going ... and going ... and going. I wouldn't have expected anything different for this model. I believe one factor to this is the actual size of the model. Most of us are used to look at much smaller models, which makes it hard to judge how far away and how high the model actually is. Despite its size, the sleek profile also makes it difficult to see in the distance.

HX3D014 said:
You can add spoilers, and even add a second surface area to give a drag effect, IE one spoiler and one flap....
I had Phrank split the elevons in 2 so I will test some configurations.

HX3D014 said:
the Only other way would be to find the stall speed and come in with a little High Glide slope and adjust just before touch down.... This is hard. but saticfying...
The stall speed is at about 45 MPH. I think the other thing that makes this model hard to land (besides the speed) is that it has a zero-lift wing, which means you have to continually put in slight up elevator just to stay level. I may hook up my real controller and set the airbrake switch to put the up-elevator in, which is what we do in real flight anyhow. Putting the CG a bit further forward may also make it easier to handle. Right now it is setup with only a 5% stability factor.

Oliver

HX3D014 said:
Wow. Now we know it could be done. But how do we hide all the Surface area untill it is Deployed ? I wish this could be done.

That's the problem. It would be more of an "umbrella" than anything else.

However you COULD hide the surface area by bringing the "panels" into an improperlly mapped surface... much like the when you see through one side of an object in G3 and see "through" it.

Some years ago, I had a rocket that returned to Earth by deploying a couple of helicopter type blades and auto-rotated down. That might be possible to do.

you know, you might try making something like retracts except in place of the gear, add a big panell. You could also try to add a bit more friction on the entire aircraft, that way, it will slow do on its own accord.

hi guys i just thought i would try making some sort of parachute effect
and this is what i have come up with so tell me if it feels realistic???
:D
Alex T

Attachments

• F-16A_EA.G3X
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
flyingpigs647 said:
hi guys I just thought I would try making some sort of parachute effect
and this is what I have come up with so tell me if it feels realistic???
:D
Alex T
Very Nice. But could you first change that to an AV. I get a Problem When I import it. Not a problem with the Air break one. but a problem with the original F-16A I have. I did not import the Color scheme. so I think your Air Break one stole the color scheme from the original F-16A. (Maybe I should have renamed the Color scheme when I imported your F-16A AirBreak_EA.G3x instead of not importing the Color scheme ?) NE Way. an AV is good enough.

SO . Well done :) . Very simple and Very effective.
But there are some slight consequences . When not deployed. pitch and yaw have a side effect (Slightly ineffective and other problems with yaw).
So I was wondering if they could be attached to arms. Have it so that when they are not deployed, they could be somewhere around the CoP - CoG and then on deployment moved back to the position you had them. This will still have a slight side effect, but I am wondering if it will be less noticeable and less consequential.

2 pods for each arm
2 symmetrical pods would cut the setup time down a little.

PS (the arms should be removed from aero forces by dropping the % to 0)

Last edited:
yep noproblem
heres the av

i get what you mean and i think i have an i dea to put it back to the cg before deploying...ill got try it out now :rolleyes:

Alex T

Attachments

• F-16A air brake_AV.G3X
    22 KB · Views: 10
here you go guys i have tried using a movable pod, when this one is flown you dont get the effect of fins out the back
so please try it out and tell me what you think
ok this one is more effective so as soon as you touch down deploy it (this is how its suppose to be done isnt it ??)

Alex T :D :rolleyes:

Attachments

• F-16A air brake 1_AV.G3X
    22.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
flyingpigs647 said:
Downloaded that version and it's way cool! Now we just need to make them big enough where the plane will actually float down on them (like the emergency parachutes some ultralights have).

Oliver

flyingpigs647 said:
here you go guys i have tried using a movable pod, when this one is flown you dont get the effect of fins out the back
so please try it out and tell me what you think
ok this one is more effective so as soon as you touch down deploy it (this is how its suppose to be done isnt it ??)

Alex T :D :rolleyes:
Very Nice.

You can use two arms. this way the movement of the surface is Linier (Not circular over the fuse)

I came in Hot. and was thinking. Hope this thing works. I haven’t got much runway here at sod. and I kinda landed deep. I flicked the switch and 2 and 1 and Stopped.

Phew. ;) Nice job.

PS. Rocket man; I know what you mean about the Wing chute.

this may involve getting the wings (Including tail and rudder. All of them) used for the plane to be on pods. and then with similar pod arm action. Have them move some distance above the Craft. Thing is you will not see the chute or the wings move up to that position... but the effect might be interesting.

yep no probs i ws just pushing it backe up the top :D
good to see you like it
and with the ultra light planes parachutes yep i know what you mean i know a mate that owns a sirrus s21 (it might be a 71 not sure :rolleyes: )and it has one

should be iteresting if some one could make a visual parachute for it that i think would look cool :)

Alex T
good to see you like it :p

Back