Boeing 314 Clipper (From Special Request Thread)

pplace

I've been tinkering around a bit here and there on the Boeing 314 Clipper.

Info about how this request came to be is here:
"One time special request"
and
"Vote for the special request" where the Boeing 314 Clipper requested by kmot came out the victor of the polls!

I've passed a couple e-mails along to kmot as I progressed with the model, and thought I would now share the progress on the forums. (I didn't want anyone to think I dropped the ball or went back on my deal!!hehe)

The first attachment is of the 3-view plans with the 27 fuse cross sections in place. That was time consuming feat in itself. (I was very disappointed in how the plans didn't exactly fit together.....a lot of fudging was needed)

The 3D modeling is certainly no where near finished, but the overall "look" is there. I will not be using the engine nacelles in these attachments....I just made them quickly to visualize the aircraft better.

I started adding some of the windows in the fuse.......I have many left to install yet. (So yes I do know there are several missing!)

I was curious to see how the model would look in G4 so I did a quick export to 3ds then into G4 so I could take it for a flight!! It's going to be fun!!

The model is set at 1/18th scale (with about a 101" w.s.)

Attachments

• 314ss(1).jpg
    314ss(1).jpg
    196 KB · Views: 67
  • 314ss(9).jpg
    314ss(9).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 67
  • 314ss(10).jpg
    314ss(10).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 314ss(11).jpg
    314ss(11).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 44
Ooooooh, very nice there mister pplace.

That should make quite a few nice water trails. :)

Back at it a bit tonight.

Since I last posted I've added the rest of the windows in the fuse. And also finished up on the engine nacelles.

I added the cowl flaps and also modeled the intake scoops on top of the nacelles.

There are several small details I will still be adding to the aircraft, and I still need to cut the control surfaces free. It's slowly getting there though.

Attachments

• 314ss(12).jpg
    314ss(12).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 314ss(13).jpg
    314ss(13).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 314ss(14).jpg
    314ss(14).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 32
I couldn't resist getting the clipper imported into G4 again (now that I have most of it modeled) I did this for a couple reasons:

1. I'm impatient!
2. So I could get a jump on setting up the flight physics
3. Checking to make sure the model looks fine visually in G4
4. It helps determine how I will set up or model any remaining items I have questions about.

For example:
In some pictures of the 314 it has a water rudder, and some it doesn't....so I wanted to test the effectiveness of adding a rudder.

I set one up in the editor the approx. size it would be.....with very little effect while taxing. So now I might not spend the time to model a visual one. Small things like that is what I like to check out.

The model is still a long ways away from being finished. I have yet to model / cut any of the control surfaces out (nor set up the pivots obviously)
I need to model the prop hubs, add the engine plates (to paste a picture of a radial on) and numerous other things.
There is no mapping for the CS (It's also a bit too shiny at the moment) and I think I will make the glass darker so it shows up more on the finished model.

Since I last posted pics I added some misc. items on the fuse (the mooring masts on the nose, and some radar / antennas above the cockpit, I also added the "foot holes" on the forward part of the fuse.

Here are some screen shots.....I took them at Lake Douglas (which I don't care to fly at, but I like taking snapshots at photo fields for a better / more realistic look. After I was finished I noticed I forgot to bump up my AA to make them a bit nicer.

Attachments

• 314 (1).jpg
    314 (1).jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 314 (2).jpg
    314 (2).jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 314 (3).jpg
    314 (3).jpg
    276 KB · Views: 44
  • 314 (4).jpg
    314 (4).jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 314 (5).jpg
    314 (5).jpg
    300 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
That looks so awesome!!!!

The water rudder on the real 314 was very small. I wonder if it did much good on the real plane? Maybe, while only taxiing in a calm harbor or something.

Kmot....I'm glad you are liking it so far!

I added the water rudder.....even if it isn't effective, it'll look cool!

Also is a close up of the nose.....it shows the "foot holes" for climbing onto the fuse, the mooring masts, along with the radar / antennas?? (What are the objects above the windshield?.....Air Speed Indicator? Etc, Etc??

Attachments

• 314ss(15).jpg
    314ss(15).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 29
  • 314ss(16).jpg
    314ss(16).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 41
pplace said:
What are the objects above the windshield?.....Air Speed Indicator? Etc, Etc??
They're known as pitot tubes (or pitot-static heads). They measure the difference between static & dynamic pressure and in this era of a bird were used mostly to measure airspeed.

What's the point of putting lights on it, adding to the poly count, so you can fly at night once in a blue moon and at the same time making it not realistic.

WingDude said:
What's the point of putting lights on it, adding to the poly count, so you can fly at night once in a blue moon and at the same time making it not realistic.
Well as you know all modern aircraft are required to have navigation,strobe,and landing lights wont hurt,and they won't need to be detaild therefor it will be scale at this modern day,we all have extra poly's ya know.

dhk79 said:
They're known as pitot tubes (or pitot-static heads). They measure the difference between static & dynamic pressure and in this era of a bird were used mostly to measure airspeed.

Thanks, I was thinking on the right track then.....the fact that there were two of them was making me wonder about being an air speed indicator.

Back