G4 can't handle a user documents path that's on a network server.

andrewsi

The machine I'm installing on is joined to a domain that uses My Documents redirection. This means that my Documents folder is redirected by the OS (Vista) to a UNC path as follows:
\\OAW-Server\Users\<my account name>\My Documents\RealFlight G4\LauncherG4.ini.

As a result, when G4 Launcher is run, I get KEError 21078: Error determining path to .ini. Corrupt filename: <the path I just showed you.>

There are no invalid characters in the path. It simply redirects to a UNC share and is not stored on the local C:\ drive. 3.0 and 3.5 did not have this problem and there appears to be no workaround. The directory was in fact created successfully, but is completely empty and there's no .INI file there. Unjoining from the domain is not an option, and I believe this is a legitimate bug not caused by illegal characters - there's no reason at all why you shouldn't be able to handle this file being on a UNC share.

Looking for a workaround if you have one.

Thanks,
Andy

Bueller? What's the best way to report this bug to the development team? Through "normal" tech support channels, or do folks from knifeedge read the threads?

I'm not expecting an instant fix, my (hopefully) temporary workaround is to create another non-domain user account on the same box just for using G4, so that the account files are stored locally. Behavior is the same using the .0037 beta. However, the inability to handle a UNC path to the network is just plain wrong, and having to log into another account is a pain...

Regards,
Andy

Exactly - but the G4 launcher code is looking at the path it got back from that call (\\oaw-server\users\<me>\documents\...) and some kind of validation you're doing on whether that's a legal path or not is failing. It's perfectly legit, however.

Thanks for the response.

Andy

Last edited:
Yes, it is failing a validity check. We'll have to investigate further. In the meantime, I can't suggest a workaround other than what you've already done.

I'm curious if you were able to run RealFlight directly with the other account? There are two shortcuts on the start menu: one for the Launcher, and one for RealFlight itself. Did you try running the sim that way? If so, did you notice any problems? Was it able to store your settings and load them again the next time you ran?

UNC mappings can be problematic, especially since Windows and Domain servers permit timed disconnections to avoid network traffic.

A mapped drive may help to overcome the error but "My Documents" would have to be redirected appropriately to the mapped drive.

The upside is that this is likely to affect a miniscule number of users... ( not many businesses permit Sims on their office domains ).

A few points:
- I tried to run Realflight directly with the failing account, but I think it didn't like that. At the time, I had not run it successfully at all, and there was no ini file whatsoever. I haven't tried this again since, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens. The problem I encountered was clearly in the launcher, since it never even got to the launcher menu.
- The new account has no problems at all, since all of its files are stored locally the "normal" way.

To opJose: As for the MyDocs redirection, it won't have the timeouts you're mentioning because the Windows domain MyDocs redirection feature uses Client Side Caching. (There's always a local copy of the offline files maintained by the O/S in the "\Windows\CSC" path that are used when the server's not available, and are reconciled automatically when the connectivity is available again.)

Andy

OK, so it looks like I can run the app directly without problems in the domain user account. As long as I don't use the launcher, it seems perfectly happy to use the redirected mydocs location. Copied all the stuff from one user folder to the other, and the app runs fine, just not the launcher.

I think I may have tried this before going through all the registration and other stuff using the "normal" user account, and there was some reason why the app wouldn't run, but I just don't remember what it was. Perhaps the serial numbers have to be successfully paired by the launcher app before the main app will run?

That's the same thing I do. My Windows account has an '&' in it, and the launcher will not run in it. RF will, though with no issues or hacks. Once you have it installed, the only reason you need the launcher is for updates. So I run RF from my main account.

Just a quick note that was not fixed in .051, and the launcher still will not run for a user with a redirected My Documents folder on a UNC share.

Back