Parrot LSA

dhk79

The Parrot Light Sport Aircraft has been on my projects list for a while and I figured it was time to get moving on it. Here's the specs on the full sized bird:

SPECIFICATIONS PARROT LSA
WING SPAN 31.2 FEET
LENGTH 23.3 FEET
WING AREA 123 sq.Ft.
WING LOADING 10.75 Lb/sf
EMPTY WEIGHT 793 Lbs
GROSS WEIGHT 1320 Lbs
PAYLOAD 530 Lbs
CABIN WIDTH 46 Inches
FUEL CAPACITY 2 x 13 Gal
LUGGAGE SPACE 22 cu. ft.

My model will be a 1/5 scale or about a 75" wingspan.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 24
This one has been a real interesting one to model. The windshield extends seamlessly up onto the top of the wings. So getting the curved joints of three objects to match was a ball.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7
BladeCP02 said:
I do want to know though, will we ever see a helicopter from you?
Probably not in the foreseeable future.

The modeling would not be a problem, but I'm still close to the novice level at actually flying helis. So, it would have to wait until I was good enough at flying them to really tell what needed to be done in the physics.

Collaboration on modeling something new would also not be practical, as a great deal of going back & forth between MAX and RealFlight would be needed (especially on the first one).

Nearly done with the basic 3D model. Need to take a break and cook dinner.

Attachments

• Image09.jpg
    Image09.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 15
dhk79 said:
Probably not in the foreseeable future.

The modeling would not be a problem, but I'm still close to the novice level at actually flying helis. So, it would have to wait until I was good enough at flying them to really tell what needed to be done in the physics.

Collaboration on modeling something new would also not be practical, as a great deal of going back & forth between MAX and RealFlight would be needed (especially on the first one).
Ah, I see. Doesn't matter though, your plane models are awesome. ;)
dhk79 said:
Nearly done with the basic 3D model. Need to take a break and cook dinner.
Wow, looking awesome again! I'm not much of a plane guy but I think this one is an exception!

Thanks, hope you enjoy it.

For status, I'm done for the night. Links & pivots are complete, now on to the texture mapping.

Attachments

• Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29
Colorscheme is finished. All that's left is to do the collision meshes and it'll be ready to import into RF.

Attachments

• Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 33
Doug,

That turned out really nice. Smooth lines and transitions on that model. Good job once again.....who's that getting cozy with your wife in the cockpit?

I'm done for the night. I've got it into RF and roughed out the physics. I'll finish the physics tomorrow, but even as it is I like how she flies.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1206769002.jpg
    ScreenShot1206769002.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 26
It's done and heading for the swaps. Final report - I like it so much, that I may have to build one for real. This plane performs one of the best flat spins I've seen.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1206806447.jpg
    ScreenShot1206806447.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 31
dhk79 said:
It's done and heading for the swaps. Final report - I like it so much, that I may have to build one for real. This plane performs one of the best flat spins I've seen.

Can you do a colorscheme that resembles a parrot (the bird) with the "rainbow" colors and the nose of the bird in the front? That would be exelent! :D

Back