F-4J Phantom II

dhk79

I've picked my next project - The F-4J Phantom II circa 1975. This was the plane the Blue Angels were flying the first time I saw them in person. I still haven't decided on whether to do an Angel colorscheme or a Vietnam era one.

This is sort of a special request. The poster put it in the wrong spot on the forum , but I still saw it. I say it was only sort of a special request, because it was already on my short list of possible projects and I had already collected some pictures and design data.

Maybe. Only problem would be glossiness. BA paint jobs are highly polished, while combat ones are dull.

dhk79 said:
Maybe. Only problem would be glossiness. BA paint jobs are highly polished, while combat ones are dull.
put it somewhere in the middle so it'll look good either way maybe? I see what you're saying though, but I don't think anybody would mind it since you turn out the good quality models. I know I wouldn't care. The F-4J is one of my favorite jets

Assorted 3-views & fuselage cut-sections scaled and matched, looks like I'm ready to start. BTW the final scale will be to match the Skymaster F-4 kit (63" wingspan & 16.1 lbs weight).

Sorry but there are no "Jungle camo" painted F-4J Phantom II's, the F-4J was strictly a naval fighter and was not used by the airforce.
So, no camo if you want to keep it accurate. ;)
You can do the F-4E wich was used by the airforce though.

Attachments

• dreid.jpg
    dreid.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Just to clarify things - Please note that I said Vietnam era "combat" paint job, nowhere did I say "camo".

Second stage of adjusting the fuselage is complete. Or as Junkboy would claim, "graduating the pressure on the ol' sphincter a little more".

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 13
You have made my day.

Hi Dhk79,

You have made my day.

All I ask is that you don't make it with that silly belly tank and if you are going to apply those wing tanks, at least make them removable or dropable. Now if you want to include the Sparow missles, that is a good thing.

After years of producing this aircraft as a kit and producing over 450 of them, I have some knowledge of this aircraft. If you need any help with stuff for it, I probably have it.

I have also done a Vietnam Color Scheme for the one in RF now, but can't figure out how to upload it to RF. I guess it is a G3 pland and all I have is G4 It is my favorite. VF 111 "Sundowners" I am still working on how to upload it.

But don't concern yourself with Color Schemes that much. They will be made.

Just get the detail right on it. This one in the sim now is a joke. It was made from a prop model and has the gear wrong, a elevator, no air conditioning scoops, and very rough as for the detail of it.

Way to go Dhkt9!!!

Attachments

• F-4 Phantom (VF 111).bmp
    95 KB · Views: 27
  • F-4.bmp
    99.4 KB · Views: 13
Not that good

That 3-view is not good onderunway. It is out of scale. Here is a good 3-view and cuting it down to 100 KB to show it here doesn't do it justice.

Send me an e-mail and I will send it to you to see what I mean.

Attachments

• F-4 3-view a.bmp
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
  • F-4 3-view b.bmp
    99.1 KB · Views: 12
  • F-4 3-view c.bmp
    99.1 KB · Views: 8
Back