How to QUICKLY install the addons and Expansion packs from a G4 install

opjose

If you have G4.x and the add-ons and expansion packs, you can save yourself a LOT of time and bother with this simple technique.

You can copy the data files from G4 into the proper G5 data folder and you are DONE! All of the add-ons and expansions will then work in G5. No loading CD's!

Look at the First image below. This is how the G5 data folder looks like after a clean installation.

Now look at the Second image below, I have highlighted the files you need to COPY into the G5 data folder.

The final image shows you how the G5 data folder should appear after you copy over the 2.3 gigs of files.

That's it! Nothing to it.

Attachments

• G5before.jpg
    G5before.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 403
  • G4Folder.jpg
    G4Folder.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 420
  • G5after.jpg
    G5after.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 354
Is there a way to copy any custom/or downloaded aircraft from G4 to G5 without having to import them all over again?

AFAIK, the batch import is the best way. Import all of your EAs in onestep, then all of your AVs and CSs after in a second step.

Great tip. I copied the data files as suggested and it seems that the planes are available in G5, but when I start the program I get a series of messages like

The file 'RFV4UP3_3.DCK' was not designed to work with this edition of realflight

What did I do to cause this error message? All the data files work well in G4.5.

(This is in XP)

Last edited:
The OP says which files to copy over. Do not copy all of them. The file you mentioned is a G4 stock file, not an add on or expansion pack file. Only copy the files that begin RFAO or RFEP.

Last edited:
THat's an update file for G5. Depending on which G5 version is on your install disc, you may not have it.

Thanks man! I was getting really PO'd that I'd bought the G5 upgrade for myself for Christmas. I thought I was going to have to wait for new Exp Packs and buy them all over again after having spent $180 on the G4 Exp Packs! Now I got my stuff all transferred over and it works great! Thanks again!! :D

/Dave

Hi Guys,

I moved the folders form G4.5 to G5 as opposed to copying them. Tried starting G4.5 today and got a bunch of missing file/folder error messages. Is there a way to get G4.5 to stop looking for the AO and EP files?

Thanks,

Carl

I copied them back and the error messages are gone.

Still hanging on to G4.5 ... :rolleyes:

I will say G5 has a lot of subtle improvements beyond the obvious combat addition. May free up the G4.5 disk space one of these days.

Carl

I had both versions on my HD until I reformatted. I still haven't installed G4.5, and it's been months.

"Does what it says on the tin"
Sorry if some of you guys/girls don't have the privilege of watching the best of British.
The expression comes from an advertisement for paint, and I am sure is self explanatory.

Thanks

John

Back