Windows 7 compatibility?

markg

i have realflight 4.5 running fine on a winxp 32 bit system.

but im moving over to a windows 7 64 bit system shortly.
tried to install 4.5, and i got an error;

Cannot find import; DLL may be missing...NLVSCAN2.dll, error 126

is realflight 4.5 compatible with windows 7 64 bit? 32 bit? or not at all?
is there any way around the above error?

thanks

tnorton12000 said:
Ye old search function found: https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=24347&highlight=windows

Yes it does work on Win 7.

I looked up (NLVSCAN2.dll) and all I could find had to do with torrent (pirated) software?

unfortunately the search function found an answer for a different version than what i am using; your url was to version 5, i posted in the version 4/4.5 section because thats what i have. Not 5.

as far as pirated software; this is a clean/new install system that i am using to test out the various apps before i do the final install. torrent has never been installed, and i have all the serial numbers.

so you are 0/2 on your searches :)

That is interesting (sad really) how the first page of references to that DLL mostly have pirate, warez, and crack in their names.

On the 2nd page of google matches I did find someone who got that error after running a 4.5 updater on G3.5. I'm wondering if you did something similar? ie just tried to load a 4.5 update without first loading G4??? I do find that DLL file in my RF directory - do you?

I also found your earlier posts about stripping the files off the CDs and streamlining them into an automated install from a file server because you had to keep rebuilding your system(s). Did you do that and is this the system that keeps crashing? If so, you could have complications that none of us are going to really know about.

Orion said:
That is interesting (sad really) how the first page of references to that DLL mostly have pirate, warez, and crack in their names.

On the 2nd page of google matches I did find someone who got that error after running a 4.5 updater on G3.5. I'm wondering if you did something similar? ie just tried to load a 4.5 update without first loading G4??? I do find that DLL file in my RF directory - do you?

I also found your earlier posts about stripping the files off the CDs and streamlining them into an automated install from a file server because you had to keep rebuilding your system(s). Did you do that and is this the system that keeps crashing? If so, you could have complications that none of us are going to really know about.

here is the response from knifedge;
The error you are receiving is due to a Direct X issue. To fix the issue we are having you update your Direct X version. Please use the following link to update the Direct X files on your computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

and problem solved!!

fyi; the warez comment; its usually done by ignorant people who have nothing to add to the thread

as for the streamlining issue; i did not do that on this computer, because i was concerned my old system was 32 bit and this one is 64; but i may do that in the future for the same reason. 4 cd's for the program plus one each for the expansion files (and the add ons before they were released as files) was just too much to reinstall for this; much easier to do it from a network attached storage drive.

mark

markg said:
fyi; the warez comment; its usually done by ignorant people who have nothing to add to the thread

mark

Eh, no. He searched and what he found hinted at pirated software.

Calling ( a fairly intelligent and consistent poster here ) him ignorant indicates a marked lack of understanding and a very thin skin on your part. Next time think twice before inserting foot into mouth!

The very people you distain are those most likely to have a correct answer to a problem.

markg said:

It's even sadder that the comment wasn't even aimed at you but the fact that searching for the file turned up a bunch of links to people requesting stolen software and that I had to wade through that garbage to find a legit suggestion for you.

Orion said:
It's even sadder that the comment wasn't even aimed at you but the fact that searching for the file turned up a bunch of links to people requesting stolen software and that I had to wade through that garbage to find a legit suggestion for you.

orion;

thanks for the suggestions; my comment was not aimed at you, and if i wasnt clear about that, im sorry.

to opjose; thin skinned, im guilty as charged! especially when i post a legitimate question, and get answers regarding warez, software i dont have (v5 vs my post re v 4.5) etc. but please note i didnt call anyone ignorant; read my post again (which if done would have avoided this all in the first place).

anyway, thanks again orion for your helpful post. and to jeff for his humor.

my system is working now

Yes it works with Win 7, after you install it , use the update button and update the software and it will work perfectly

Well since everyone seems so smart. I get this error every time I open RF.

ERROR: Could not find or create My documents directory. Application files write directory will default to EXE location.

I am wondering if this is because I upgraded to windows 7 vs clean install but I did uninstall RF and reinstall it.

Anyone seen this before?

Dustyk said:
Well since everyone seems so smart. I get this error every time I open RF.

ERROR: Could not find or create My documents directory. Application files write directory will default to EXE location.

I am wondering if this is because I upgraded to windows 7 vs clean install but I did uninstall RF and reinstall it.

Anyone seen this before?

I haven't seen it specifically but, it sounds like the symbolic link that points applications to your user folder when they try to access "My Documents" is, for the lack of a technical term, fouled up.

If you have any older applications that accessed the "My Documents" folders try seeing if they have the same problems.

Also having non standard US/UK characters or reserved characters in your user name, and hence your home directory path, will also cause this.

Check the USER NAME you are logged in as, and make sure that there are NO non-alphabetic characters in it.

If there are you will need to create a different user account to run Realflight.

And changing the name of the account will not work. A new account must be created, if the problem opjose referred to is the cause.

Back