G5, a great upgrade for G3.5ers!

ven2s

When I got my G5 upgrade DVD for around $80.oo and taxes, and downloaded it, I have to say it is a big leap and opens up a new world for us G3.5ers :eek: ! First of all, the physics are so much better, planes that froze on my G3.5 don't on my G5 :D .
The planes have shock absorbtion and rubber wheels, they bounce along the cracks in the ground, over ruts and so on. They are more challenging and more realistic to fly, the jets even seem faster! Oh and now you can get those nice G4 swaps and originals; no limits, except the minor ones with the G3.5 iNTERLINK,,,NO BIG DEAL TO ME :rolleyes: !
I got to say I have alot of memory and a great video card, but I don't have dual core. It seems that my vid card and processor work with less effort, which is another improvement I read they did with this upgrade; everything seems more optimized ;) . For 80 bucks, for those of you using G3.5, it's worth the upgrade! Also, you can retrieve all your files from G3-G3.5, G4, G4.5! For those with G4.5, this upgrade might be a small improvement but for G3.5ers, it's a nice leap in the right direction!! You will love it especially when you get snow bound or it's too cold or windy out and you want a new challenge :) !

Here, here!!!

----

I was a bit surprised that other G3 users were not jumping up and down about this upgrade. It's one heck of a bargain and positive change for them.

That's exactly my thinking. This was an ingenious move on the part of Knife Edge because it makes the move to G4.5 type performance with added extras very inexpensive...patience pays off! I hope more G3.5ers catch on, they'll be very happy! :)

Thanks for all the great info, I'll probably upgrade my 3.5 very soon!

Just one quick question. If you upgrade to G5 from 3.5 do you get access to the free downloads of the old RealFlight Add-on's planes/heli's that G4.5 guys got?

Edit; Finally found the free add ons download pages;
http://www.realflight.com/free-g4-add-ons.html

See that it works with all G4-G5 versions! Very nice, think I'll be upgrading very soon now.

Thanks and cheers,
TomC

Last edited:
Great upgrade

I just upgraded my G3.5 to G5 and all I can say is its definitely worth the $80. I'm glad I waited, thanks knife edge and realflight, a great job as usual.

hamflyer

ven2s said:
When I got my G5 upgrade DVD for around $80.oo and taxes, and downloaded it, I have to say it is a big leap and opens up a new world for us G3.5ers :eek: ! First of all, the physics are so much better, planes that froze on my G3.5 don't on my G5 :D .
The planes have shock absorbtion and rubber wheels, they bounce along the cracks in the ground, over ruts and so on. They are more challenging and more realistic to fly, the jets even seem faster! Oh and now you can get those nice G4 swaps and originals; no limits, except the minor ones with the G3.5 iNTERLINK,,,NO BIG DEAL TO ME :rolleyes: !
I got to say I have alot of memory and a great video card, but I don't have dual core. It seems that my vid card and processor work with less effort, which is another improvement I read they did with this upgrade; everything seems more optimized ;) . For 80 bucks, for those of you using G3.5, it's worth the upgrade! Also, you can retrieve all your files from G3-G3.5, G4, G4.5! For those with G4.5, this upgrade might be a small improvement but for G3.5ers, it's a nice leap in the right direction!! You will love it especially when you get snow bound or it's too cold or windy out and you want a new challenge :) !

Hey ven2s , I have 3.5 and have stuck with it cause I thought they overdid the physics so much on 4.5 it is unreal compared to my real planes . You mentioned the spring in the gear and the bumps in the ground are noticeable which sounds like 4.5 physics . Once you swicth I guess you cant easily just pick 3.5 if you want ? Your stuck just running the upgrade ? Have you flown 4.5 and are the physics of 5.0 the same . When I fly my dads 4.5 I put it on intermediate level cause expert seems unreal for 3d flying charactoristics . Maybe the way they program the gassers on 4.5 they just suck . I know even on 3.5 the Yak 54 had to be majorly tweeked to fly like my model . I use mostly planes developed by users from the swap forums . Like Taildraggers extra .

Installing G5 does nothing to G3.x or G4.x installations. You can fly either, or all 3 if you have them!

G3.0 -> 5 Wow

I didn't do the 4.x upgrade because of the expense of the controller but this is really a great deal, use the original controller and save some $$.
I can't believe how much more realistic the flying is, you actually have to work to do a proper landing in windy conditions.
The only strange thing I am seeing is when the landing isn't spot on there is a momentary pause while it seems to be checking if you broke anything, then it continues.
All in all worth the money.

ted toad said:
I didn't do the 4.x upgrade because of the expense of the controller but this is really a great deal, use the original controller and save some $$.
I can't believe how much more realistic the flying is, you actually have to work to do a proper landing in windy conditions.
The only strange thing I am seeing is when the landing isn't spot on there is a momentary pause while it seems to be checking if you broke anything, then it continues.

Yes I noticed the lag every time a crash occurs. It is quite annoying. Has anyone else encountered this?

ted toad said:

This may be the hesitation on loading new sounds that first appeared in 4.5. It doesn't happen on all systems but there isn't a list of what hardware to get/avoid so it's kind of vague. Usually it happens only the first time a new sound is loaded. If you land the same plane again, the pause shouldn't repeat. (If we're talking about the same thing.)

Unfortunately, until Knife Edge comes up with a patch for this you will have to learn to live with it. I have a vista machine that does it on G4.5 and G5. I bought a new ASUS middle of the road gaming machine with Windows 7 on it. Real Flight runs exactly the same on both machines on the first few flights. After that it runs smooth as silk. I just get all the crap out of the way up front. I crash four times intentionally, run off both sides of the runway onto the grass for a little bit. Every time you change anything, airports, airplanes, ect. repeat the above. You'll eventually get used to it. Other than that, I love this simulator. Please KE fix this!

Thanks for the discription of the 3.5 upgrade to 5. I have the upgrade on order and was hoping to see the impovements in the physics. I have run 4.5 here at the hobby shop and love it. Now I really can't wait for my upgrade to arrive! :eek:

MikeMcChiken said:
Maybe the way they program the gassers on 4.5 they just suck .

I know even on 3.5 the Yak 54 had to be majorly tweeked to fly like my model . I use mostly planes developed by users from the swap forums . Like Taildraggers extra .

It sounds like you may not be importing the models correctly.

If anything Gassers in G4.5 and G5 are FAR MORE realistic than before.

Nothing was "overdone".

In each instance where we have seen a similiar complaint here it turned out that the user was unzipping the RFX files and trying to manually place them into the proper folders. This is not the way to install planes in G4 and G5, you must let it do the import of the ZIPPED file.

Last edited:
I kinda wish this thread had been posted in the 3.5 section... not because it does not belong here, but it would be of more use to those users than the "converted".

12oclockhigh said:
I kinda wish this thread had been posted in the 3.5 section... not because it does not belong here, but it would be of more use to those users than the "converted".

Perhaps the nice mods will move it for us? :)

Back