Error message problem

cwright

I have upgraded my G4.5 to G5. When I go to run G5 I get about 15 error messages start out the same and then only the last part is different. It says error opening o:\rfsim\image\rfv4auto.dckinfo The only thing that is different is the part after \image. I have all expansion packs installed as well.I also removed G4.5 thinking that was causing problems. I have installed it from the administators account as well as my windows account with the same results. But here is another wierd thing that happens this only happens when I log on to my user name. The program works great on my sons log in. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times with the same result.s One thing I notice when removing the program it only takes about 1 second and it says program removed sucessfully.I would think it would take longer then that. Also another interesting point is I have no o: drive on my computer. I have talked to realflight and they are supposed to be sending me a new disk to try. To me it seems the disk is working fine as the other accounts can use it OK. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help. :confused: Chuck

Resolving 'filename.dckinfo' errors

Exit out of RealFlight and cleanup (remove) *.dck files of similar name in both "C:\Program Files\RealFlightG5\Data" and "C:\My Documents\RealFlight G5\Cache\Data" folder. The only versions of the files that start with "RFV5*.dck" are G5, "RFV4*.dck", and lower are previous versions of RealFlight which I assume (I made the same mistake) we accidentally copied over from its perspective Data folder and are causing your error messages.

Files that start with file names below are Addon and Expansion files and are ok to keep. After the cleanup, RealFlight should behave normally.
  • RFAOV*.dck
  • RFEP*.dck
  • and of course RFV5*.dck

**NOTE** For non-technical folks, asterisks in file names, like the examples used above are "wildcards" and mean they match everything, I.E.- "ABC*.*" could match file names like "ABCdefg.txt", "ABC1234.doc" or any other combination that starts with ABC, but not XYZabc or 789ABC. For more help, google "regular expressions."

- - -
On a separate note, if your bothered by red error messages after importing aircraft that we don't have a variant of. Find and remove all lines with the aircraft name from "C:\My Documents\RealFlight G5\RealFlight.ini" file. Make a backup copy of this file prior to the edit would be safest.

Last edited:
You must right click on the G5 icon, and make the indicated change if you are using Vista.

Tech support sure is getting liberal sending out discs. New discs won't solve your problem. The 'o' drive is a virtual drive created by RF. That's how it runs.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 42
Without more info it's difficult for me to say what is happening. My guess, though, is that you've either installed RealFlight G5 into your existing RealFlight G4 directory, or vice versa. Do not do this! Even if you purchased the RealFlight G5 Upgrade, it is a standalone product that should be installed in its own directory. It should not be installed over the top of G3 or G4.

I have successfully migrated all of my expansion packs from v 3.5 to v 5.5 but have been unable to migrate my old "add ons". I only have one add on disk, but would really like to have some of the airplanes available on that disk, specifically the Q-500 Viper. I copied RFA0V5.dck from my v3.5 data directory to my v5 data directory and have confirmed that the file is there. Alas, the airplanes and flying fields do not appear in the v5.5 menu. Are there additional files that need to be copied or settings that need to be changed? Thanks!

OOPS, I forgot that Knife Edge has made the Add Ons v1-5 available as free downloads for v5 users. I'll download those. Sorry to bother you.

flexible said:
And how is the modeling coming along?

I have given up. But I may try again later.

The good news is that all the add ons now work! :)

Last edited:
Back