Dc-3 / C-47

pplace

As I wrap up a few minor details on my Cessna 195 project, I have picked my next subject to model. I won't dive into this project too hard until the 195 is officially posted on the swaps (I am waiting for some information / specs on the 195 before I can finish the physics)

I've always wanted to update the DC-3 since the one from the add-ons isn't very detailed. Late this summer I had a chance to get up close and personal to a DC-3 at our local airport. My friend (the one with the Cessna 195) is good friends with an owner of a DC-3.....so I was able to spend a couple days around the DC-3, hang out (party....too hard) with the owners son (who also flies the DC-3)

The model specs will be based off the Ziroli DC-3:
Wingspan: 140"
Length: 97"
Weight range: 38-45 pounds
Engines: 35 - 45cc gas (2)

I won't reveal the planned CS till a while later!

Here's a couple shots of how every project starts out.

Attachments

• DC-3 1.jpg
    DC-3 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DC-3 2.jpg
    DC-3 2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 47
Since all sorts of guns and rockets are now available in G5, how about making an AV while you are it of the AC-47 Spooky? :D

The fire rate varies with the aircraft type. The Sopwith is slower than the P51 and the jet.

Kmot said:
Since all sorts of guns and rockets are now available in G5, how about making an AV while you are it of the AC-47 Spooky? :D

Sorry but a definite no from me. 1. That's not the CS I plan on doing. 2. I have no plans of ever getting G5

Junkboy: That's pretty cool! I've seen some pics of the DC-3 on floats (big plane for floats) That would be an option / variant I would think about about doing later in the future after the original model is finished. Although this would highly depend on the poly count, which I expect to have troubles with already!

Was able to get a small start on this project in between a few things today. I spent a fair amount of the time trying to extrude / blend the large wing fairings.

Attachments

• DC-3 3.jpg
    DC-3 3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DC-3 4.jpg
    DC-3 4.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DC-3 5.jpg
    DC-3 5.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Started roughing in a few more items. I always like to get most of the main components roughed in to make sure everything is lining up and fitting correctly....so far everything is looking okay. I have barely scratched the surface on the amount of work left.

Attachments

• DC-3 6.jpg
    DC-3 6.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DC-3 7.jpg
    DC-3 7.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DC-3 8.jpg
    DC-3 8.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 38
Got home late from a meeting tonight and the wife and son were already asleep so I put a little time towards the h-stab and v-stab. Like the main wing I extruded the h-stab from the fuse in order achieve a nice fillet. The v-stab is a separate component.......I'm not sold on it yet? I might still go back and extrude it from the fuse as well so that has the fillet as well.

Unfortunately now is the portion of the project where it always slows down for me....the details! There's always a lot of progress, just nothing big and too noticeable. Things like all the scoops, exhaust, vents on the nacelles. Cowl flaps, cutting out for the gear, modeling the gear, etc. etc.

More later.....

Attachments

• DC-3 9.jpg
    DC-3 9.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DC-3 10.jpg
    DC-3 10.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DC-3 11.jpg
    DC-3 11.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DC-3 12.jpg
    DC-3 12.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 29
Looking real nice.. I hear ya on the details. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished product.

Brentg

eelleeccttrriic said:
Hey make sure when you add the gear, one goes up before the other, I noticed the Add-ons one doesnt

That's easy. Just time the retract servos differently. Although you might need two retract servos, one for each to do this. Still, shouldn't be so hard.

Also, are you going to do the interior?

Wow, on the plus side this is the most active build thread I've ever had! :D

Currently this project is too complicated / full of details for me to "get back in the modeling groove" I do have my A6M2-N, which is a good basic model to re-learn any modeling, mapping, painting, editor skills that I might of had at one time. When I'm at the point I think I can give the proper attention the DC-3 deserves I'll get back to it as a project.

Right now I've got some busy time to spend with the new baby.

Glad to see there is interest in this project when the time comes though.

Back