Schneider Grunau Baby 4

jeffpn

My next project is a glider. It appears to be a 1953 model Schneider Grunau Baby 4 It will be 1/4 scale with a wingspan of 135". I am very excited about the 3-view I found, and I didn't even use Norton to find them! I'm guessing it will be a low poly model. I could probably get away with a 6 sided fuselage for most of it. It has a very boxy shape. My 3-views and all the cross sections are lined up.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 33
I haven't decided yet. It (like many others, I guess) certainly has the potential for it. What say you, Maj.?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 18
thats up to you
I'm just happy to see this one get done in any fashion :D
maybe a solid fuse and just do the wings/tail feathers translucent?

Norton, can I get you to find me a few good pics of the Schneider version, if available?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 13
A question for those who are smarter than I am. And there are plenty of you out there. What is this, in the red circle? I'm guessing it's a spoiler. There is also a dotted line that looks like it's extending the area. Is that maybe an optional longer spoiler?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 27
Yes, it is a spoiler. On sailplanes that is often a surface that extends vertically (like a wall) to disrupt airflow over the wing. In RF, they are modeled as a surface that pivots up on the front edge, much like an inverted flap.

I would say the dotted line is an optional extension, but I can't read the language.

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug. I guess that's what this is, then. It looks like the arms rotate it upwards, based on the position of the slot. It doesn't look like it pushes straight up.

Attachments

• Grunau04 Grunau Baby15.jpg
    Grunau04 Grunau Baby15.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 16
They can be done several ways, but a T top is common. The motion of that one would be easy to model, but the RF physics won't replicate it exactly.

I like what you show in the above picture. It'll also look good in the sim, but will take 3 pods to do the animation.

Jeff

I had to look it up. I remember seeing one of these at the big glider event this year in we had here in Kansas. The Dotted line on the bottom of the plane is where the Bottom Spoiler pops down. It is off centered from the top one because of the way it works and the pivots. Here is a link to a Page where this guy is building his, First 7 pictures should explain it.

1/3 Scale Gruanu Baby IIb Schneider - Airbrakes

D'oh!! I've already noticed when doing the wing that there are dotted lines representing components hidden by other components. I don't know why I missed this one! Doug, I think I'm gonna need some help on this one.

Nice pics Junkboy. That looks like it'll be fun to model. Make that four pods, Jeff. And yes I'll be glad to help.

Back