Turbine Toucan Build

abaser

My next project. Ive got the fuse and scoop roughed in but Ive still got some shading issues to deal with.

Attachments

• toucan lside.jpg
    toucan lside.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 44
  • zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 31
As Jeff has suggested in other thread...don't bother with smoothing until you get it in max. If you set up smoothing groups and there are still shading errors check out my edit triangulation tutorial in the modelers tip of the day thread. Next week when I'm back from vacation I am submitting a setting up smoothing groups tutorial for max. Smoothing groups can be difficult initially and I think it may help a few of the newer guys.

Even though I've been editing the smoothing groups for the entire model in Max, it's probably still a good idea to smooth them in Wings. If there's any geometry issues that prevent good smoothing, I want to be able to deal with them in the program I'm comfortable with.

My main issue really is I have no three view of a turbine front of this plane, so Im pretty much just eyeballing it. From what I have managed to find on this plane, which seems very limited at best, Im guessing its a modified Pitts Python with the turbine nose. I did manage to foind a direct head on view of an RC model of this plane, but of course, you get one area scaled just right and 90% of the rest of the view is way off. Ill be spending quite a bit of time in this area just so I get it right. If at anytime you see an area that needs attention, please chime in.

phrank said:
Great aircraft choice.
I remember a request for it a few years ago.
If I remember right, acquiring plans and 3-views back then was quite difficult and getting permission from Quique went no-where.
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=18978

Perhaps it's the right time once again. ;)
Thats the thread I dug up and thought it had to be done.

I had a little time to work some more on the nose during lunch, and I think Im pretty happy with the results. Especially since it was mostly all by eye. I did have a good side veiw to get me started.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 19
  • zz1.jpg
    zz1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • zz2.jpg
    zz2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 10
I only had just about 15-20 mins tonight to work on this so I just got the top wing laid out.I hope its about right. I have figured out that everything I have as a reference is just that. 3 views are off big time compared to the actual pics and so on. If this one turns out good, Ill be amazed :p

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5
  • zz1.jpg
    zz1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 5
  • zz2.jpg
    zz2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 7
  • zz3.jpg
    zz3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9
Looking good abaser!

I had some spare time this afternoon so I did a vector image of the toucan on the fuse. If I can find some clear shots of the wing graphic then I'll do a vector of them as well.

Attachments

• Toucan Vector.jpg
    Toucan Vector.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Its a shame more people dont give it a shot. Granted its not as simple as sitting at the computer and drawing a plane, but it does get better. A certain level of commitment and dedication is required. I can honestly say, if I can do it, anybody can. before I started CSing back in October, I had virtually NO computer skills at all. I advise anyone who has the want to to give it a shot. Its tough at first, but does get easier. :)

Don't sell yorself short Andy. You have artistic talent and I don't think just anybody can do it.

Back