How to install RealFlight G2 USB on Windows 7

g1-g2-g55

I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and installed RealFlight G2 USB without any issues. I thought it might be useful to create a new thread with simple instructions as the first post.

My computer is running Windows 7 32-bit.

Instructions:

1) If you don't already have RealFlight G2 patch 2.00.723, get it. You can contact KnifeEdge and they'll probably send it to you, or give you a link to download it. Or Google "realflight patch 2.00.723". There are multiple locations from which to download. The file size is small, about 7 MB.

2) Get something to plug into the microphone jack on the front of your computer. It can be anything, even a cable with double-male plugs.

3) Install RealFlight G2. Your computer will ask if you want to allow this, so click Yes. When prompted to install DirectX, DO NOT. Choose cancel.

4) Install Add-Ons, if you have any. If ever prompted about DirectX, do not install.

5) Install update/patch 2.00.723

6) Right-click the desktop shortcut for RealFlight G2 and choose Properties. On the Shortcut tab click the "Advanced..." button and check the box by "Run as administrator". Click OK, then OK.

7) Plug something into the microphone jack on the front of your computer. You must do this step!

8) Plug your USB RealFlight controller into the computer.

9) Then start RealFlight G2. As before, the first time you run RealFlight, you'll be prompted to insert the original CDs, one at a time. This only happens the first time you run it.

That's it!

The device plugged into the microphone jack is necessary whenever you start G2. Once it's running, you can unplug the device from the microphone jack.

If you get this error on startup:
Error: DSERR_NODRIVER
File: L:\kelib2a\DirectX\DXDirectSound.cpp
it means your computer still doesn't see anything plugged in the microphone jack, so double-check that you got the correct jack and the plug is in all the way.

Last edited:
g1-g2-g55 said:
3) Install RealFlight G2. Your computer will ask if you want to allow this, so click Yes. When prompted to install DirectX, DO NOT. Choose cancel.
There's your problem. The DX redistributable that is on the G2 disc (or any version of RF for that matter) contains files that MS has since dropped. They are required for RF to run properly. You need to install the DirectX that is on the RF installation disc.

I've never heard of having to plug something into a microphone jack to get RF installed. That raises a red flag with me.

I think there's some confusion about this post

I submitted this post not as a question, but to let others know that the USB version of G2 works fine in Windows 7.

This post describes the exact steps I used to install G2 that worked for me. There is no problem. I followed the steps above and everything works great.

I actually did it twice, as I purchased an SSD a month after the first installation, and went through the identical steps again. It works great.

:)

The reason I posted this is that I had been putting off my Windows 7 upgrade for months because I didn't think it would work, and I didn't want to have to buy a newer version.

It turned out that it works fine.

I found the "missing ingredients" in these forums, but buried in multiple threads. The "missing ingredients" were the "run as administrator" and the microphone jack.

I thought having a single post with simple instructions would be useful for anyone else who has the USB version of G2 and would like to install it in Windows 7.

:cool:

RealFlight G5 is the latest release from Great Planes of their famous radio control flight simulation software. It is compatible with windows XP, Vista and window 7 and is not compatible with Windows NT and Mac platforms.

Follow the directions and you'll have the software installed in a matter of minutes. :)
One slightly annoying part was the online update program. The online update program will automatically download updates, but it requires you to restart the program. make sure, you don't have any other program running or you are not using USB . On my installation, it downloaded an update for the update program, but after a few times everything was installed with the latest software. I was very impressed with the whole RealFlight G5 package. The software installed easy, and was intuitive to use. The simulation is very realistic and the airplanes fly very close to their real counterparts. RealFlight G5 is a great tool for sharpening your flying skills and it's a lot of fun too!

Last edited:
Back