Space Walker Build

Boof69

I took a break from working on my website and started the studio for this large scale SpaceWalker. This will be a single seat version with wood interior and all the RC bells and whistles. Another build without a front view. :(

Attachments

• Spacewalker Start.jpg
    Spacewalker Start.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 50
Never saw the appeal in this one. Like the PT-17...just not attractive to me. Interested to see what you do with it since its been done already but the 2-seat version.

If it is any help, It started with a Sig blue print, for the outline. The dummie Lycoming engine, is made of plywood and fiberglass. The dummie exaust is pvc. It has fiberglass rocker arm covers, that look very real. The gear works like full scale.
I will get you some close up schots, of things on the two seater, that will match the single seat. The wings and tail feathers have pinking tape over the covering at all the ribs. Drops of glue make up the stiching.

It will end up along these lines. It's always been a popular model around these parts.

Attachments

• 108-819.JPG
    108-819.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 108-0859_IMG.JPG
    108-0859_IMG.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 108-0862_IMG.JPG
    108-0862_IMG.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 35
I'll call sometime this weekend. Thanks Flex.
I have a start on the fuse. You're right Jeff the cross sections made it easy.
Anyways here are some pics of the progress.

Attachments

• SpaceWalker Render.jpg
    SpaceWalker Render.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 36
  • SW_01.jpg
    SW_01.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 34
Got some more done tonight.

Attachments

• SW002.jpg
    SW002.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 30
  • SW003.jpg
    SW003.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 28
  • SW004.jpg
    SW004.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 26
Thanks flex. I appreciate the help. I made the ailerons from the plans shown so I'm not sure your right about the chord of them, but looking through the pics I do see they are top hinged. It's hard to tell from the pics that the rudder isn't tapered. The red that follows along it's edge makes it difficult to tell. I can remove the taper no biggie. As for the stringer I'll add it but I thought it was a mistake in the build because of the bulge behind the cowl. It's kind of ugly. I'm sure though that I will minimize that bulge in my model.

Attachments

• Space_Walker_P.jpg
    Space_Walker_P.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 108-0862_IMG.JPG
    108-0862_IMG.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 18
Ok so I accomplished all the revisions save the increased aileron chord.

Attachments

• SW005.jpg
    SW005.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 25
  • SW006.jpg
    SW006.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 19
  • SW007.jpg
    SW007.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 19
Boof69 said:
Thanks flex. I appreciate the help. I made the ailerons from the plans shown so I'm not sure your right about the chord of them, but looking through the pics I do see they are top hinged. It's hard to tell from the pics that the rudder isn't tapered. The red that follows along it's edge makes it difficult to tell. I can remove the taper no biggie. As for the stringer I'll add it but I thought it was a mistake in the build because of the bulge behind the cowl. It's kind of ugly. I'm sure though that I will minimize that bulge in my model.
Boof, Flex is right, the tail fins on the FS are welded seel tubing,no taper,the stringer runs full length, see pics, the ailerons from TE come back to rear spar and are 6 rib bays long spanwise, after the 1st 3 or 4 FS SW's were built. It's looking GREAT!!!

Last edited:
Id be happy to make the ailerons deeper if that's what you want. I ddn't reaize that the spacewalker you requested was modified from the sig plans. Do you think you could find out what percentage the aileron is of the wing chord? Same for the percentage of the wing length. Just let me know. One question flex. How will you enjoy this plane when its finished. I have no way to make it work in G3.5.

Last edited:
I made a visual guess. Is this more like it? If you can get those percentages I will make them exact.

Attachments

• SW008.jpg
    SW008.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 22
  • SW009.jpg
    SW009.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 21
  • SW010.jpg
    SW010.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 22
First thing, aileron width look great, the length is fine with me as is, the only posible prob, would be if it is wrong for the red art work. There are 7 fabrick rib bays, with the end of the ail, just short of the most inbord rib where the balsa sheeted rib bays start.
Tail feathers look great . Spar on the side is great. On the nose, there is a fake oil cooler, in the larger, lower cut out. Does not look as thow you have finished the trailling edge of the wheel pants.
There is a lot of detail work to be done on the landing gear. I have a externial hard drive, that I am getting ready to check for the 54 picks folder that I took of the two seater, with lots of close ups showing all of the detail areas on the plane, many of which are the same on the single seater.
Tuesday is the first day I will have the car to go see Jim, to pick through what is left of his brain on this subject, hehe!

Last edited:
I called him earlier today and had to leave a voicemail. He may get back with me before you would need to trek over there. I'm at a loss for the exact details of the gear main and steering. So I at a bit of a stand still until I can get some close detail. Cock pit detail would help allot as well.

Boof69 said:
I called him earlier today and had to leave a voicemail. He may get back with me before you would need to trek over there. I'm at a loss for the exact details of the gear main and steering. So I at a bit of a stand still until I can get some close detail. Cock pit detail would help allot as well.
Main Gear
See Pics

Last edited:
Back