Pawnee: Wings>Blender>RF

abaser

As requested by kmot, here's a start on the Piper Pawnee.

I will also show set up of Blender, and doing pivots and hierarchy in Blender.

See post 98 for Blender setup zip file.
See post 117 for pivot and hierarchy zip files.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
A little work on the gear. Does anyone know if its possible to animate this rig to react with the ground when landing? And if so, what would be the best way to achieve this undertaking?

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 10
Just set up the main gear to use springy flat CF or steel. Then play with the "stiffness". ...That sounded...wrong. :D

But do I need to place pivots all over this thing? Im wanting to get the animation of the real deal. I may be asking for trouble, but thats what I wanting :D

The pivot can only be set on one side (of each gear). The other side would detach as it moved.

I have the same exact setup on my SpaceWalker. The only pivots that will matter will be for the struts. Parenting will be more crucial. The center bracket will need to be elongated to accommodate the vertical movement of the shocks as they cannot be animated by ground collision. Here's how the pivots and parenting should be set up. If need be I could send you an EA of the SpaceWalker so you can see how they look.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I got a little more progress on the Pawnee this morning. Wings have been redone to match the RL plane. Also, it was pointed out to me that on the actual gear, the bands fit straight, not rotated 90. So, thats fixed. The tail gear is nearly finished, but Im having troubles creating the springs. The problem is the long, skinny loops on the ends. I may just do a slightly different setup.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 16
  • zz1.jpg
    zz1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 18
  • zz2.jpg
    zz2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Pawnee tailwheel.jpg
    Pawnee tailwheel.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 27
Use simple shapes for the springs. A fat cylinder for where the coils are, and skinnier cylinders for the ends. You could even extrude inwards the ends of the fat cylinder so it doesn't look plugged. Map it, paint in your coils, and you're done. I don't think it's worth modeling all those coils.

Cut the springs into two halves, put pivots and moveable pods on each end. When anamated, it will look like the springs change length when the rudder moves.

Andy,

That chunk of metal that Harry added and zip tied to the tail gear as a balance weight is not a stock item. Yes it is on his actual model, but it might not be necessary for the sim model. Just a thought.

Ya, I figured that much, but thought it would be a nice touch to resemble a real RC setup. As of now, this bird is at 6400 polys, but I can lose more if needed. The gear, front and rear, are poly heavy.

Back