Tutorial model from 3DS Max to RF video

Boof69

Follow this Link to view or download the BoxTrainer.mp4
This is a tutorial video that will show you some of the most basic tools, tips, and shortcuts in 3DS Max while making a very basic box like model with the required naming, parenting aka: linking aka: hierarchy, pivots, and single external image file.
Then finally importing the resulting kex into RF and setting it up to use KE's stock model physics for the PT-40.
This tutorial will not cover any moderate or advanced modeling techniques. That is not this videos intent. Instead it is intended to demystify KE's base requirements and process for imported models and to show enough of 3DS Max to quell the nerves of a would-be modeler.
My apologies for the lack of any real organization of thought in this video as it was made spontaneously. I do not profess to be an eloquent speaker, but I do think that anyone should be able to follow along and get their first model into RF. I have a correction for the video: while naming the vertical stabilizer I incorrectly named it "~CS_MVS" where it should be "~CS_MMVS" and The rudder is incorrectly named as well it should be "~CS_MMR"

Attached are the source files for this project in case anyone may find them of use.

Feel free to leave questions or comments here in this thread.
Thanks and Good luck! -Boof69

@DHK79 could you please add a link to this post in your "How to build your own models" thread.

Attachments

• BoxTrainer Source.zip
    37.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Downloading and saving does not work unless you have quicktime pro version from apple. You could post a zip file containing the mp4 file.

Unfortunately the file is too large for that. Every other browser allows for download but IE with the Quicktime plugin. Google chrome is free and an excelent browser. You could delete Chrome after the video download as well. Sorry. It is still streamable and you can pause and scrub the player. No real need for download.

Last edited:
Any chance you could do the more advanced stuff like smoothing groups? Winter is coming... I may shell out a model or two and could use a new technique or two.

Firefox and IE both do not allow... I was able to use chrome. I guess Apple and Google are getting along right now. That is a pro feature on the plugin. Nice to know that.

Unfortunately the file is too large for that. Every other browser allows for download but IE with the Quicktime plugin. Google chrome is free and an excelent browser. You could delete Chrome after the video download as well. Sorry. It is still streamable and you can pause and scrub the player. No real need for download.

Thanks for the tutorial Boof!
I've certainly learned a few Max tips from watching, that will make my build more efficient.
I appreciate these take time to make, but any further video style tutorials would be a real benefit to the community.
Just watching an experienced Max user, working on RF models, answers many questions about tool usage and work flow.

Something I personally would love to see is creation of complex areas of a scale model, matching the 3 views..;)

Thanks for the tutorial Boof!
I've certainly learned a few Max tips from watching, that will make my build more efficient.
I appreciate these take time to make, but any further video style tutorials would be a real benefit to the community.
Just watching an experienced Max user, working on RF models, answers many questions about tool usage and work flow.

Something I personally would love to see is creation of complex areas of a scale model, matching the 3 views..;)

More complex areas would certainly be welcome!

But if you continue with the basics Boof, here are some thoughts:

As far as the basics, the three major areas are:

1. Model creation and importing it into RF as you've just covered
2. Mapping (and illustrating basic changes to the CS)
3. Physics setup or basic modifications if an existing model is initially used

I'd suggest continuing using the model to cover mapping basics. If there are some common things in mapping that perhaps the box plane would not illustrate and should be covered, such as curved wing tips, that video could use a "cylinder plane".

If I did a mapping video I would probably remap the Kaos because of the varying degrees of complexity it provides. The box trainer is really too simple to show some things that a good mapping video would need.
I would have to plan a physics video and I believe I may not be the best person to do that video. Others here approach the subject with more science than I. I don't think I will be recording that one.

I haven't finished watching your video yet (55 minutes in so far), but it is definitely an excellent starting place for new modelers using 3ds max. I've been using 3ds max about 2 1/2 months now, and I still learned a couple tricks that I'll find useful. It is also interesting to see areas where we accomplish the same thing different ways.

There is one area where you follow the artist document but I have found that it is not necessary. Specifically, you parent everything to the fuselage as the top level. I have found things work fine even if they are not. Since you are following the given documentation, I would consider your way more "correct". Interestingly, in the one example in their document, they do not parent the engine and the spinner with the FUSELAGE. In another, they do.

Anyway, great job and a very worthwhile watch.

I'm not sure what you mean about parenting everything to the fuse as the top level. What ever doesnt get parented to the fuse wil be automatically parented to it during the kex export process. This probably explains why the engine and spinner objects aren't parented in one example. I prefer to do it the way that I do to be thorough. It's those little details that mess up the more complicated rigs.
I'm pleased you found something new in my video. Thanks for watching.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am having trouble using the KEMax Exporter. I have followed the Read Me file steps in 3dsMax to add the plugin, but when I go to export, the .KEX file format is not an option. I have followed the naming schemes of this video and cant figure out why it will not work. If someone can help me out, that would be great.

First make sure that you have a 32 bit 3ds Max installation. The kex exporter is made for the 32 bit version only.
Go to Customize/Configure System Paths/3rd Party Plug-ins tab then click the "Add..." button. Browse to Boot Drive:program files(x86)/Knife Edge Software/KEMax/Plugins. This should add the Kex plugin to Max.

Boof69,

You sir are amazing! The Box Trainer video is superb! Not only a start to finish product but also it's easy to watch, you're easy to listen too and it's easy to reference back to when needed.

Thanks so much for producing the tutorial.

Curtis
Montana

Back