Realflight 6.5 and Spektrum DX7s

aanes

Hey!

I have the realflight stick from realflight 4.5 (a long time ago)
Now I have taken up the hobby again and upgraded to realflight 6.5 (with the old controller)
But I want to use my spectrum and not the RF controller.
I have lost all plugs and cables that came with the RF 4. So I bought new once.

I have searched the internet up and down and cannot find the issue. And I kinda hope to get some help here:p

Ok. here it goes.

I plug a cable between my spektrum (training exit) to the RF controller (back square plug)
I run RF. It starts up.
Then I go to controller and select controller option.
But it wont find my stick.

My spectrum have been set up according to what I have found on the internet bouth as heli and airoplane.
But its still not working.

I have selected pass trough (for the heli i currently have loaded

Any idea of what I can do to get it to work?

Last edited:
After what I figured out the spectrum is transmitting PPM from the trainer port.
I also made a clean airplane model in the menu, replugged to the RF controller and traied again.

Still. The RF cannot "see" my spectrum transmitter.

Its fully charged. And its just using a jack to jack (with a connector) to go to the RF controller

I am using a Spektrum Trainer kabel connected to the dongle thingy witch fits in the back RF controller.

Last edited:
Exactly what version of the DX7 radio do you have the new or old version? The radio needs to be turned off when using the output jack on the back of the radio as a slave.

Below are map setting for using the old version of the DX7. I was unable to access the flight mode switch from the radio.

See Flare, that is how it is done... when you actually do some work and give an answer.

Attachments

• Specktrum-DX7-RF6-Settings.jpg
    Specktrum-DX7-RF6-Settings.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The radio is off when I connect the cable. And it goes innto slave mode.
I have tryed this mapping. Aswell as quite a few other once.

The problem is still that under the options: Controller - select controller (in RF)
Only the interlink shows up. Its nothing alse there.

The DX7 shuld be the new one. Cuz its only a cupple of months old.

I had trouble with the short cable (female mono connector) and a mono audio cable with male connectors. I was able to use the cord that came with RF that had no connectors... It connected and worked immediately for me with the old style DX7

you STILL have not answered the question; what radio are you using? That would help in trying to give you answers. I believe the newer radios have ability to turn the trainer system on and off in the menu system.

If you don't see it in the selection then it is not being recognized and there is something wrong with the wiring.

Yes. I have the DX7S. (the new one).
And I can aswell change the trainer thingys in the radio software.

I have tryed messing around with it. And testing it on realflight. But it still dont work.

Reguarding the RF cable that came with the box. I have lost it.
Is there a cable I can buy witch will work? Cuz the local dealer say the mix Im using shuld work.

Again its:
A dongle with a female cjack in 1 end and the plug for interlink in the other (the back square plug)
Then I plugged in a jack to jack from my radio to the female jack in the first "dongle" (the jack to jack cable is a spektrum trainer cable)

If this doesent work. What cable can I use and where can I get it? The local dealer do not have the RF cable.

Ok. Ill contact them for the cable then:)

Alltho. Do anyone know why this doesent work? the setup I got?
The same setup works on futaba tho (talked to a guy who are using this setup for his futaba radio)

We really, as a whole, don't have a lot of experience setting up other radios. Most of us just use the interlink. A stick is a stick.

Sorry, I missed the S part... no problem Kmot... I just missed it. (twice)
When I wrote up a set of DX8 connection directions... I found that using the short extension and the trainer cable, it did not work. When I substituted the one piece wire w/o any break (approx 6 feet in length), it worked right away. So I do think using the 1 foot piece is the problem... since the new DX7S is more in line with the DX8 style, I think that is the problem.

This piece did not work for me: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCGR6&P=V I searched and could not find the longer piece available for sale at tower. The mono cable consists of two wires. I would check for electrical continuity on the sound channel and on the ground. If it passes both tests, I would consider destroying a cable and cross the wiring. That might be the solution. You can always buy another trainer cord. Radio Shack usually stocks them as mono audio patch cords.

Check around your house, the longer wire should have come with the simulator. I have two sims, and I have two long wires, two short wires, and two connectors for round plugs. I bought my Interlinks with G4 version.

Yes. I have the DX7S. (the new one).
And I can aswell change the trainer thingys in the radio software.

I have tryed messing around with it. And testing it on realflight. But it still dont work.

Reguarding the RF cable that came with the box. I have lost it.
Is there a cable I can buy witch will work? Cuz the local dealer say the mix Im using shuld work.

Again its:
A dongle with a female cjack in 1 end and the plug for interlink in the other (the back square plug)
Then I plugged in a jack to jack from my radio to the female jack in the first "dongle" (the jack to jack cable is a spektrum trainer cable)

If this doesent work. What cable can I use and where can I get it? The local dealer do not have the RF cable.

Last edited:
Thats the "dongle" I got. With a spektrum trainer cable.
I tryed to cut it. And cross the leaders. Alltho. This diddnt work.

Is there anywhere I can buy a cable? Or do I need to contact the support for it.
The dilivery time is quite long sence I live in norway:p

Wiring Diagram for Futaba Micro Plug

Sorry about the suggestion that did not work. I did a continuity test on the micro plug wiring. Here is how it is connected. I wish I had thought of this before. I owe you a trainer cord if I ever get to Norway.

Using these pin designations for the Futaba Micro Plug -- Facing the plug pins with wire oriented down.
.. 1 2 3
4 5 6

On the Long 5' wire that DOES work.
Pin 2 was connected to the barrel of the mono plug
Pin 6 was connected to the tip of the mono plug

On the short connector that did NOT work http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCGR6&P=V
Pin 2 was connected to the barrel of the mono plug
Pin 3 was connected to the tip of the mono plug

There were no other microplug pin to pin connections on either micro plug I tested, so it is straight forward 1 to 1 wiring. It may be possible to open the Futaba Micro Plug and re-solder the connector. I did not try to open mine. At least you know why now and if you are any good with electronics, you have a solution. I only did this study because you are quite a distance away and it is difficult to get a replacement. You might also open the Real Flight Interlink controller and see how difficult it is to change connections there or add a jumper from pin 3 to pin 6. I just opened the Interlink... it looks like it would be relatively easy to add a jumper from pin 3 to pin 6 on the circuit board. You could test the solution by having someone hold the jumper wire while you see if it connects. Of course, you are on your own proceeding with this information. I am not liable for using it. I did double check my work.

Is it possible that these short connectors from Tower/Great Planes/Real Flight have been fabricated wrong for a long time?

Again, most of us just use the Interlink Elite Controller with the software.
There you go Flare... another example.

Thats the "dongle" I got. With a spektrum trainer cable.
I tryed to cut it. And cross the leaders. Alltho. This diddnt work.

Is there anywhere I can buy a cable? Or do I need to contact the support for it.
The dilivery time is quite long sence I live in norway:p

Last edited:
ok. ty:)

Well. RF are inn and out of stock here. due to long dilivery time. All the local dealers have been out of RF for 2 months now:S

And for the info about attatching a jumper between the 2 pins. I wont do. becouse of warrenty etc.

Alltho. I will be messing around with the cable:)

Thx for the help ppl.

It worked.... Interlink Mod

This modification is totally not necessary if you use the 5' cord w/micro plug and a mono audio plug on other end.
This modification allows the Short Wire to work with the Mono Plug Audio Wire / Trainer Cord.

I tried out my idea on my own interlink... It worked, now both the short and the long cords will work with all my radios DX7, DX8, JR9303 & JR11x. Below, I show a before and after picture of the Interlink modification. Not hard to do if you can solder or know someone that can. The plug card has been turned over to reveal the connections. I think this is easier to do than to open up the cord. Nothing is done to the DX7s flight radio. Proceed at your own risk. You can test this idea before you proceed to solder by using a jumper to connect the two pins and see if the DX7s radio works with the Interlink.

Patent Pending, Trademarked, and Copyrighted. We shoot every fourth salesman, we have had three today. :D:D

Once again... almost all of us fly the sim using the Interlink... and save our flight radios for outside.

Attachments

• InterlinkBefore.jpg
    InterlinkBefore.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 34
  • InterlinkFinished.jpg
    InterlinkFinished.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I have a question and would like some feedback, has anyone been able to use the short 1 foot long Futaba connector to another radio and get it to work?

If so, what version of the software did you purchase. I got my hardware with RF G4.

Last edited:
I think I tried it once when I first got it, just to check it out. I then threw the cables in my parts locker and forgot about them because it was more trouble that it is worth.

1) Every model you fly will have to be edited to use the new controller.
2) Your field radio now gets much more wear and tear (since I fly with a 9 channel I'd much rather wear out a $200 Interlink).
3) The programmed mixes in my field radio were not that hard to duplicate in RealFlight in the first place.

Back