Sound issue after update

bkjohnson

Upgraded to RF 7.00.022 and have noticed that now when going to full throttle on the Elite the engine sound shuts off - bringing the stick back one notch returns the sound. Latest sound and video drivers for my system. Bug? or something else.

What aircraft do you see this with? If it's "all", please list a few specific examples.

What type of controller are you using?

Does it happen in all camera modes?

If you perform an update back to 7.00.013, does it still happen?

Sound cuts out

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I upgraded G4 to 7, and now the sound only works when the plane/helo or (any craft for that fact) is near me and or and mid to upper throttle. Flight characteristics and graphics are perfect. But without sound it isn't appealing. The sound only work properly when in cockpit view. Tail view (sound) works only if pulling up hard in a bank (fixed wing). Helicopter does not seem to work at all in tail view. Cockpit view works fine in all aircraft.

I have emailed tech support with computer specs (twice) sending specs created with R7 software (the new features) and have not heard a peep from anyone.

I uninstalled all G4 and 7 stuff and reinstalled. No success. I tried with and without updates....no success. G4 sound still works perfect. They are both still installed (both G4 and 7). I found that to be strange that I install an upgrade only to have both of them now installed?!?!. (Only G4 sound works properly).

Any help will be great ad I do not use the program because of the sound issue. I am burned out on G4 and wanted to see what all the hype was about with V7.....only to be disappointed. I have the fastest computer I have ever had and can't even get this to work properly. Intel I7 haswell...GeForece GTX 780, butt loads of ram etc...etc...etc.
:mad:

You did not mention how up to date your video and sound drivers are. This is one possibility. I know it does not make sense because of the throttle, but updating will not hurt anything.

My best guess is that your computer is outputting 5.1 (or similar) sound while connected to stereo speakers or headphones.

The fact that G4 is working as expected may seem to disprove this hypothesis, but I wonder if there's some other difference that could account for that. Do some sound drivers allow per-application profiles/settings these days? I honestly don't know. Regardless, I believe this avenue is worth exploring.

Can you tell me more about your setup?
  1. What kind of speakers are you using?
  2. Are they plugged directly into your sound card? Into your computer's front panel?
  3. When kind of cables are you using? Are you perhaps getting audio via HDMI or S/PDIF, for example?
  4. Are any other components (e.g., an A/V receiver) involved?
  5. Is there anything uncommon about your setup?

Try this test:
  1. Load a 3D airport.
  2. Load a model with an internal combustion engine that will produce sound even when idling. If you want, you can give it a small amount of throttle to make it louder, but make sure it's still low enough that the vehicle remains stationary.
  3. Use the WASD keys to walk near your aircraft.
  4. At this point, you should be able to look around in any direction using the mouse (do not click!).
  5. Pan around the scene. Does the audio for your aircraft come in and out depending on the direction you're looking? For example, does it fade out when you're looking at your aircraft, but fade in when it is to your right?

This may sound silly, but is it possible the sound is just too quiet for you to hear? I expect it to be loudest in cockpit view and when the aircraft is near you in other views, and full throttle is louder than idle, naturally. These are exactly the times you say you can hear things. Is the audio quite loud at those times, or merely audible but on the quiet side?

At the times when you cannot hear your aircraft, are other sounds affected? Try holding down Page Up to crank up the wind. Do you hear it? Try mousing over the left side of your screen, then hovering over the different Gadget Tabs. Do you hear beeps as you move from one to the next?

As 12oclockhigh suggested, ensuring your sound drivers are up to date is a good idea.

If you attach your system info here (please do not include serial numbers), I'll take a look at it and see if anything jumps out at me.

I realize I've asked a lot of questions here. Please be thorough in your response and answer all of them.

Thanks for reply phrank and Ryan!
You are both correct! The sound was set to 5.1 surround. Changed to stereo and BAM! Engine sound! Thanks much for your help. Larry:D

Back