how to hide the menu bar, full screen in windows 8?

el guapo

how do i make the menu bar go away... ALT enter doesn't do the job. my buddy has the same issue.

I can select full screen from the graphics setting page, the screen turns white and then goes to full screen, but there is no sound.

Then you have to play with your machine's video settings.

Is this a laptop?

If so you may need to set things up to give Realflight exlusive control of the auxiliary GPU.

That is dependant upon your machine.

On one of my Win8 computers that is equipped with an Nvidia 780M, I can right click on the program and select "run using Nvidia GPU", thanks to the newest drivers.

With older drivers you had to adjust or add a profile for Realflight to get real GPU full screen behaviour.

This is beyond the scope of these forums as it deals with your specific video card and is not really a Realflight issue though it would be nice to know what hardware you have ( e.g. a Realflight diagnostic dump ).

Last edited:
el guapo, there is an option to show/hide the title bar, as others have said above. But I think you're talking about the main menu itself.

At least on some configurations, there is an issue with the menu always showing in Windows 8 in full screen, even though it's not active or clickable. You still need to press Alt to use it. I'd be curious to hear from Windows 8 users who are running full screen about whether they do or do not see this behavior, and what graphics card they are running.

I'm having the same problem with Windows 8.1 Pro, and the Nvidia Geforce GTX 960. The behavior is as you describe. The title bar is not the issue. It's the main menu. It doesn't disappear (it's just disabled) in full screen mode.

Last edited:
el guapo, there is an option to show/hide the title bar, as others have said above. But I think you're talking about the main menu itself.

At least on some configurations, there is an issue with the menu always showing in Windows 8 in full screen, even though it's not active or clickable. You still need to press Alt to use it. I'd be curious to hear from Windows 8 users who are running full screen about whether they do or do not see this behavior, and what graphics card they are running.

I run Realflight on a Win8.1 Laptop that has a built in aux GTX 870 GPU.

If I go to the display properties and set the drivers to run Realflight using the Nvidia GPU, and then run Realflight in Full screen mode as a default, the menu disappears and of course the display looks much better and I get much higher FPS.

When I hit the ALT key, Realflight reverts to full screen windowed mode using the Intel 4600 integrated graphics, and allows me to use the pull down menus. Once I make my selection the screen goes back to Full Screen Nvidia GPU mode with no menu.

If I instead select running Realflight in Full Screen mode using the Integrated 4600 via the drivers, then when I launch Realflight it stays in full screen overlay mode, and retains the menu, though grayed out.

I get similar behavior with other DX9 programs.

DX10 and up games are able to switch to full screen exclusive mode no matter which driver is being used to power the game.

I run Realflight on a Win8.1 Laptop that has a built in aux GTX 870 GPU.

If I go to the display properties and set the drivers to run Realflight using the Nvidia GPU, and then run Realflight in Full screen mode as a default, the menu disappears ...
QUOTE]

I'm not tracking the context of the "display properties" you're referring to: Windows 8, RealFlight, graphics card (NVIDIA) Control Panel?

If you're referring to an NVIDIA Control Panel setting, I have that set to use the NVIDIA card GPU (NVIDIA Control Panel/3D Settings/Manage 3D Settings/Global Settings/CUDA - GPUs = GeForce GTX 960).

My RealFlight instance does open to Full Screen Mode by default (RealFlight/Simulation/Settings/Graphics/Hardware/Full Screen="Yes"). But, RealFlight opens in Full Screen mode with a menu bar (though you have to hit Alt to use it). BTW, Phoenix 5.0.v Full Screen mode works as it should on this machine/OS.

RealFlight image quality is excellent. It's displaying in 3D on a 65-inch Samsung TV.

Last edited:
My comments were more oriented towards Ryan.

That said yes I've done as you have, but make sure you set the Realflight Executable ( not the launcher ) to use the GPU in the Nvidia Control Panel settings.

Now use the launcher to set Realflight to it's defaults and run Realflight again.

One it is up go into the RF graphics properties and set full screen mode again. The menu bar should disappear at that point.

I'm also pushing a large screen Samsung in 3D.

I find the 3D refresh rate on the Samsung sorta disappointing compared to the 60hz PER EYE rate I get on a 3D 30" computer monitor. Still it's nice to have the large screen. The Samsung TV's only produce about 20-24 FPS per eye, which is why the flicker is noticeable... On the computer monitor you don't see it at all.

...but make sure you set the Realflight Executable ( not the launcher ) to use the GPU in the Nvidia Control Panel settings.

Yes. It's already set this way.

Now use the launcher to set Realflight to it's defaults and run Realflight again.

One it is up go into the RF graphics properties and set full screen mode again. The menu bar should disappear at that point.

I restored the defaults. Set Full Screen as default (RealFlight/Simulation/Settings/Graphics/Hardware/Full Screen="Yes"). At first, this worked as you described. The menu bar went away. But, as soon as I left full screen mode (Alt-Enter) and went back in to full screen mode again (Alt-Enter), the menu bar returned. When I checked the Full Screen setting, Full Screen="No" again. Didn't stick.

When in manually-entered full screen mode, switched from the default plane to a Gaui X7 heli. The menu bar went away! When I exited full screen mode (alt-enter) then returned (alt-enter) the menu bar was back.

One additional oddity. When I left full screen mode, there was no red X for closing the window in the upper right corner. The only way I'm able to close RealFlight is to use menu shortcuts: Alt-S, Alt-X. RF crashed with an error several times during all of these shenanigans (Didn't write down the errors).

The only reliable way I can achieve full screen mode without the menu bar is if I set the full screen default (RealFlight/Simulation/Settings/Graphics/Hardware/Full Screen="Yes") every time I want to fly. But this has a major negative side effect: there is no sound!

Update: Just called support. These are known bugs vis-à-vis Windows 8.1. As it was explained to me, the RF 7.5 code base is DirectX 9 (from back in the Windows XP glory days). This has caused compatibility problems with Windows 8.1 (DirectX 11)—such as the failure to remove the menu bar in full screen mode.

Support was not aware of the problem of the full screen default setting not "sticking" (always reverting back to "No"). But now they are.

I'm also pushing a large screen Samsung in 3D.

I find the 3D refresh rate on the Samsung sorta disappointing compared to the 60hz PER EYE rate I get on a 3D 30" computer monitor. Still it's nice to have the large screen. The Samsung TV's only produce about 20-24 FPS per eye, which is why the flicker is noticeable... On the computer monitor you don't see it at all.
There's no flicker with RF on my TV in 3D mode. The RealFlight NavGuides Gadget shows a constant frame rate of 60. On my TV in 3D, it appears as smooth as it does in 2D on my 24" computer monitor. I assume that what I'm seeing on the TV in 3D is 60 Hz per eye.

The difference may be in my TV. It's specs state: "Refresh Rate: 240Hz (Native); Clear Motion Rate 1200 (Effective)".

FYI. On my RF host computer, I'm using NVIDIA's 3DTV PLAY. Is that what you're using? I don't see your GTX 870 listed as a supported card.

Last edited:
Yes my card is supported ( I'm using Titans on my Samsung ).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your 240mhz monitor does NOT produce 60hz per eye.

I've got the same monitor and I was disappointed in the results when compared to a 3D Computer monitor with built in Nvidia support.

If Realflight is reporting 60hz, that does not mean 60hz per eye. You're only pushing 30hz or so per eye. Heck I'd be happy with that at 1920x1080 or so, but the reality is even WORST!

These monitors barely do 50hz in 3D mode. Yup that's right. about 24-25 fps per eye.

C-Net had a great article about how manufacturer's were misleading the consumer by advertizing 120 and 240mhz rates.

Those rates, they found, are only for the local refresh of the screen and have nothing to do with the refresh rate driven by the source device.

In other words your "device" ( computer, Blue Ray Player, etc. ) is actually limited to about 50-60 hz TOPS, the 120 and 240 rates are what TV's internal electronics use to update the LCD screen and does not represent an image change from one update to the next.

The latter does not mean your player or computer is pushing the TV monitor at 120hz nor at 240 hz, nor even 60hz.

Instead the electronics in the TV adjust whatever is input to conform with it's internal screen refresh for 3D... and effective 24-25hz per eye.

Some citations below:

Phony Refresh Rates

Inflated TV Specs

CNet had a great article, which was pulled yesterday, as they were critical of their own advertizers.

...your 240mhz monitor does NOT produce 60hz per eye.

First, my apologies for leading this "menu bar" thread down a 3D TV "rabbit hole".

I am confident that I know close to nothing about video mHz and frame rates. The bottom line for me is that I see no flicker on my TV with RF (and other sims) in 3D. It looks great. Resolution is clear. Edges are sharp. Object movements are smooth: No tearing of background during fast forward flight.

Tell you the truth, I didn't think I was going to like flying in 3D using my TV. But I love it! I'm glad to finally find a useful purpose for the TV's 3D feature. And, with temperatures in the single digits (F), it's my only flying fix.

Last edited:
Found a fix that works for me

I found that if I bind the fullScreenToggle command to a key, by pressing that key once or twice, I get true fullscreen without the annoying title bar.

It seems to stay that way.

I don't have any issues with sound.

Recipe:
press ~ to open console
type: "bind F fullScreenToggle"
press ~ to close console

press F once, or twice, to get a clean full screen.

I hope it works for others, esp. el guapo.

Good idea

I found that if I bind the fullScreenToggle command to a key, by pressing that key once or twice, I get true fullscreen without the annoying title bar.

It seems to stay that way.

I don't have any issues with sound.

Recipe:
press ~ to open console
type: "bind F fullScreenToggle"
press ~ to close console

press F once, or twice, to get a clean full screen.

I hope it works for others, esp. el guapo.

I cut and pasted your bind into the console (knew nothing about scripts being part of RealFlight) and pressed the bound key F and the elevator fell off!
each press of F something fell off the plane lol

Shift F seemed to work but sometimes caused a crash. I will investigate and try to get it working.

Thanks for the tip :)

I cut and pasted your bind into the console (knew nothing about scripts being part of RealFlight) and pressed the bound key F and the elevator fell off!
each press of F something fell off the plane lol

Shift F seemed to work but sometimes caused a crash. I will investigate and try to get it working.

Thanks for the tip :)

The F key causes flight failures and pieces of the plane to fall off. Instead, bind it to the J or 0 key because they are unused command keys.

Back