How to adjust VR resolution in 8.00.052

Jeremy Babbar-Sebens

Administrator
Staff member
In 8.00.052 (and .044) we've made some changes to the way that VR scaling is handled. This was in order to
  • account for changes in the SteamVR and Oculus API's
  • offer more control to RealFlight users
  • prevent some user confusion

VR scaling is also sometimes called VR quality, or VR supersampling, but it all boils down to the same thing - feed your headset more (or fewer) pixels in order to balance performance and quality.

This first post will cover adjusting the behavior for your Oculus headset, and I'll follow up with the procedure for SteamVR.

Adjusting VR resolution for OculusVR:
  1. From RealFlight, open the console (~ key)
  2. Type the command oculusVRResolutionScale (or type "oc" and press Tab)
  3. Press Enter. The current value will be displayed (default 1, or no scaling)
  4. To change the value simply type the same command followed by a number between .25 and 5.

Higher values mean a higher-resolution image sent to your headset. This might look better depending on your rig, but will decrease performance. Always work to keep your framerate at 90fps. If it drops to 45fps, the airplane may start to double in your vision, and other things obviously won't be as smooth.

Adjusting VR resolution for SteamVR:

For SteamVR, resolution adjustment is performed in the SteamVR application, not RealFlight. To do so:

1. Locate your SteamVR status window, and click the pulldown in the upper left (attachment 1)
  2. Select Settings
  3. In the dialog that appears, select Applications on the left, and find RealFlight 8 in the list (attachment 2)
  4. You may freely move the scaling slider to try different resolution scales.

Attachments

• SteamVR app.PNG
    SteamVR app.PNG
    6.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Scaling setting.PNG
    Scaling setting.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Many thanks Jeremy. I have the RF8 download version form Tower. I followed your instructions and found that with my system I was able to increase SS to 1.35 using the RF8 console and still maintain 90fps everywhere. VR resolution with 800.052, while still not all that great, is now ~ the same as the previous 800.023 version. Thanks again mate!

No change for me. I can set it to .25 or 5.00 and it never unlocks from 45 fps on my rift. btw I'm running an i7-7700K / GTX 1080 Ti...

Adjusting VR resolution for SteamVR:

For SteamVR, resolution adjustment is performed in the SteamVR application, not RealFlight. To do so:

1. Locate your SteamVR status window, and click the pulldown in the upper left (attachment 1)
  2. Select Settings
  3. In the dialog that appears, select Applications on the left, and find RealFlight 8 in the list (attachment 2)
  4. You may freely move the scaling slider to try different resolution scales.

Hi Jeremy,

Your pictures neglect to mention the slider under the Video section. In your example the VR SS setting is in ADDITION to the value under Video. For those of us with above average cards/pc etc that setting can be default to 200%.

For me to get anything above 70 fps i had to set the Video value to 100% (down from the 200% default set by SteamVR , due to my 1080GTX TI SLI setup) and then adjust the app specific for real flight app value down to 40%. I assume this should equate to 1.4 SS??

Unfortunately anything bellow this might speed up the FPS but makes the sim visually unflyable (its starts to look like Minecraft)

i hope some additional tuning for VR in general is coming. This is a great start, but not ready for prime time atm, especially for the VIVE (which i use). If you have any setting suggestions i am all ears.

Last edited:
Back