problems with heli update, HELP!!!!!!

JJay_2000

I recently got G3 as a present and have loved it. It has worked fine with no problems installing. However i recently downloaded the heli update and tried to install it and i get nothing. I have downloaded the update on 3 different occasions now and i still get the same problem.

The heli updater seems to run for about 3 secs and then just dies and my computer acts as if nothing was ever run. Has anybody else had any problems with installing the heli update and if so what can you suggest for me to be able to install the heli update for my G3.

BTW - The registration of my G3, running and updating have all worked fine up to this point and i am running the most current of EVERYTHING on my laptop. The only thing that i can't seem to get working is the heli update. My laptop OS is WindowsXP Pro. HELP!!!!!

Does it not do anything when you double click the .exe? Does it give an error msg? Does it not download?

Give many more details about the issue as well as system specs.

Heli update

I had the same problem. Re downloaded several times with the same result. I finally installed the program on my office computer and ran the heli update. For some reason it worked. I then copied the data files and the G3.exe file and took them to my computer at home and copied them to the same location in the Realfilight folder. Now everything works fine. Must be a weird hardware glitch that is only happening to a few folks. Good luck.
Ken

have a look here this is the responce we use at our work place for this error

In regards to your query if you are experiencing one or more of the following error messages when attempting to install your device, please visit the website listed below for further assistance.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Now when I hit Run Realflight from the launcher after I installed the heli up date I get a box labeled
=====================================

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

====================================
Box text is
Runtime Error!

Program C:\Program Files\RealFlightG3\Realflight.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
It was running fine before I installed the update and now I have to uninstall it all to get back to where I was.

Running a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 1 Gig RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, 128 MB Video RAM, DirectX 9.0c, Driver version 6.14.0010.6483 (English), (yes I have beta tested a bit of software in my time :D ) HP Pavilion 061, System Model 164A-ABA A475C, Windows XP Home Edition

Running McAfee 7.0 Enterprise Virus software. Nothing else running in the foreground. If needed I can screenshot the background applications and email them to you if needed.

Harry

Last edited:
Update - the heli update was not the culprit. I was installing RealFlight Add-ons Volume One at the same time. I reinstalled the program, updated, installed the Add-ons disk and got the same error. I reinstalled one more time and just added the heli update and everything works fine.....now to find out why the Add-ons update failed.

Last edited:
Cheers

Thanks all for you're help, i'll check the solutions and get back to you. The prob initially came up as being with the 16bit subsystem but that no longer shows up, i'll keep playing around and see what comes of it. :D

If you get the error only after installing an Add-Ons 1 or Add-Ons 2, you may have a very old copy of the Add-Ons that is causing the problem.

You can tell because the older version of the Add-Ons disks prompts you for a Company Name during the install, but the more recent versions do not. You can request replacement disks from Great Planes Technical support.

Travis

Same Problem, new errors

Ok, i have managed to get the heli update from stalling during the install by correcting the win16 bit subsystem problem. I now get a new error in the DOS window when i try and load the Heli update. This error is "Program too big to fit in memory". The problem as i see it is that DOS feels that the largest program it can run is about 60 mb, and since the update is 137 mb, obviously too big. i have tried a hell of a lot of other websites and forums about how to increase the memory DOS can use, but with no succes. For the tech support guys monitoring this forum, the specs for my computer are:

System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.040919-1003)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz, ~3.1GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
DX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 64M
MFR: NVIDIA
Version: 6.13.0010.3220 (English)
Date: 11/8/2002 14:25:00, 3545674 bytes
CD-ROM (?:) QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241 (?)
Free Disk Space (C:): 22363 mb free
RealFlight G3: 3.00.329

As you can see the program should well be within the limits of my computer. I am at a loss with regards to the DOS error. How can the program be "too big"? :mad:

JJay,

How did you fix the 16-bit subsystem error? I have been told by others that it is caused by spyware, and running a sypware removal tool such as Ad-Aware seems to fix things.

Travis

The 16 bit subsystem problem was corrected by following the directions outlined in an earlier post in this forum. Specifically a link to the microsoft website which details how to reload the config.nt, autoexec.nt and the command.com files.

However despite having fixed this issue i still recieve a "program too big" error in the DOS installer window. This is not an isolated problem as i have tried to run the update on three different machines, all using WinXP Pro, but all installed from different Discs.

I did this to make it work.

I read some of the other posts and tried the MS 16 bit fix. That actually didn't fix anything at first - in order for it work on my set-up I did the following:

Copied the Heli update to the root of c: and named it heli.exe
Launched command.com from the windows sys32 dir
executed the heli.exe from the command window.

Doing this the command window stayed active and the install sheild could complete all the way through.

I now have the helos! Yeah.

vitek said:
If you get the error only after installing an Add-Ons 1 or Add-Ons 2, you may have a very old copy of the Add-Ons that is causing the problem.

You can tell because the older version of the Add-Ons disks prompts you for a Company Name during the install, but the more recent versions do not. You can request replacement disks from Great Planes Technical support.

Travis

what # should we call I'm having the same problem with 1 & 2
I've left several msgs and no one has ever called back??
thanks

Back