Formal address to KE concerning the ratings

Not that another person needs to heap their disagreement with the economic boycott, but I wouldn't want my silence to be misconstrued as agreeing with it. This is just a withholding of files until which time movement is made on the ratings issues.
We all love this software and should promote it whenever the opportunity presents itself. That's what I do anyways.

Not that another person needs to heap their disagreement with the economic boycott, but I wouldn't want my silence to be misconstrued as agreeing with it. This is just a withholding of files until which time movement is made on the ratings issues.
We all love this software and should promote it whenever the opportunity presents itself. That's what I do anyways.

Indeed, if we did not love this software, we would simply be building models for someone else.

Speaking for myself, I bought one of the main competitors first and then switched to RealFlight. I almost never fly the competitors software anymore. I fly RealFlight on a frequent basis. It is great software. But the ratings system here is awful, and needs to be done away with.

Exactly. I was asked by my club president to do a presentation on RF physics editing at our next club meeting. Since winter is coming and the majority of the guys have RF it was kind of a no-brainer. Still pondering on how to go about it but still the promotion aspect of good software is heavily instilled in me.

I've already stated that we will review this and make changes after we're done working on our current project. That's the best I can do!

Jim

Great to hear that Jim.

You have a very passionate crew of modellers and followers who love to see the product advance.
:D

I've not spent much time with the swap page, but it's immediately obvious that the scoring system is deleterious for the community.

After reading this thread it seems obvious that the horse is dead -- it's time to dismount.

Hello all, just wanted to chime in and say I support you guys not wanting to post until the rating system is fixed. Seems to me that it would be a simple thing to do, if nothing else just disable the rating system until they can fix it.

Any how, I'm with you guys!

How about a simple thumbs up (no thumbs down)
this is simple and could be second to the Download #'s
# of downloads generally display an aircrafts appeal, not the quality of the RF variant (It can also be a sign of a particular muddlers good or bad work though).
if some one likes it then they can give it a thumbs up. if some one does not like it then they can do nothing about it.

Good luck all ;)

This thread isn't open to suggestions. It is for the removal of the ratings system. All that have posted here agree to that idea. The OP has a link to a thread for discussion. We do not wish to send any mixed messages to KE about what we all would like to see done with this issue.

What horse is dead?

I was referring to the rating system as it's useless, prone to tampering, misleading, arbitrary, capricious, unnecessary, need I go on. However if Great Planes doesn't remove the bridle from open source efforts they may ultimately be the horse that falls.

I recommend that anybody who is serious about getting the attention of Great Planes and RealFlight boycott future products until they figure it out.

This rating system is only one tiny facet of a larger ego and patriarchal rule issue that our American corporbusinessgovernment has.

When the "big boys" don't take care of those close to them, then those close to them strike out on their own. That's basically how Great Planes/Tower led to the creation of Horizon Hobbies, who is now beating them at the very game they invented throughout the '70s. No government bail outs for tunnel vision mismanaged hobby companies I fear.

Ok. I probably rubbed somebodies rhubarb the wrong way -- but hey -- it's about customer service. I have yet to see massive uprising in favor of the rating system. give them what they want and kill the rating system!

"Boycott future products" Sheez!!!

Take a chill pill. That is not the purpose of this thread :rolleyes:

Didn't you just join Yesterday?

Last edited:
"Boycott future products" Sheez!!!

Take a chill pill. That is not the purpose of this thread :rolleyes:

Didn't you just join Yesterday?

O, I guess I misunderstood. I thought this thread was about pressing the powers that be to abolish the KE ratings. Certainly you are not naive enough to think that the rating system will change because there is a thread that suggests it change.

A boycott is already in place -- the boycott by some talented simulation creators of adding models such as the Zephyr V-70 to the library. They are contributors of rich content to the library and have chosen to withhold their contributions. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22769505&postcount=1465 )

I'm not so talented. I've been supporting KE via my purchases. The only pressure I have to bring to withhold is pennies. I'm not like I'm throwing my software in the Boston Harbor.

These corporate folks understand only one thing - money.

They certainly are not going to change their mind just because a few customers thinK they should. If I'm the only one that doesn't make a purchase the only person I've deprived is myself. If, however, there are enough people that think this is actually something worthwhile then they can do more than just give it lip service, and then they may see a change.

To be clear, I do not advocate not buying RF or any related products. That is not my intent. Believe me, your support of our effort would help. And that doesn't cost you anything.

Cool thread at rcg. Hopefully it'll round up more support for our cause.

The swaps do set apart RF from other sims. We believe our withholding of quality files can make a difference, and encourage KE to listen to their customers.

You probably just haven't noticed THIS THREAD. we have gotten KEs attention and a promise to do something about this issue. We are sticking to our guns until we see this change. None of the contributors advocate a boycott of KE products.

Last edited:
To be clear, I do not advocate not buying RF or any related products. That is not my intent. Believe me, your support of our effort would help. And that doesn't cost you anything.

Cool thread at rcg. Hopefully it'll round up more support for our cause.

The swaps do set apart RF from other sims. We believe our withholding of quality files can make a difference, and encourage KE to listen to their customers.

The reason I "joined yesterday" was specifically to support this cause. I've only been a consumer and and a lurker in the past, I had nothing of substance to contribute so no reason to join. Joining is my way to add another straw to the back of the camel.

Does my support of this cause count for less because I've not been a member for 7 years? If 100 new users joined KE forum for the purpose of supporting this cause would their support be negated because they just walked in the door?

This is the OP for the thread.

The ratings system is a cause for issues here in the designers forum and the posters in this thread are in agreeance that the system must be removed. The system as-is is flawed and allows for maliciousness and vandalizing of files. There is no perceived usefulness of this system to us designers and we see no real usefulness to Knife Edge either.
By posting in this thread members effectively agree to the above statements and to withhold further content until which time that this issue is dealt with by the powers that be. We need this issue addressed in a way to satisfy those that freely donate quality content to this software.

Note to posters: Please only respond if you agree with the above statements.
By simply not posting it is understood that you do not agree.
Any discussion should be posted in the "The last model the swaps will see from me" thread

Does my support of this cause count for less because I've not been a member for 7 years? If 100 new users joined KE forum for the purpose of supporting this cause would their support be negated because they just walked in the door?
I said nothing about just joining. Your support is as valuable as anyone else's.

As to your second point, I think the contrary is true. I believe that 100 new members joining the forum specifically to show support for our concern would speak volumes to KE.

Back