Recent content by Orion

1. O

Looking for some hard to fly planes

I normally fly what I consider "easy to fly" planes - essentially high powered / light weight 3D planes, but I am often asked to do maiden flights of planes that have really horrible power to weight ratios and a variety of of factors that give them poor flight characteristics. Can someone point...
  2. O

Windows 10 HELP!!!!!

Man you are making me feel old! My first personal computer was mechanical! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digi-Comp_I
  3. O

Receiving spam via private message.

I got one. It's interesting that the account was created 3 years ago and has zero posts. Account taken over?, or are spammers creating sleeper accounts that far in advance?
  4. O

Windows 10 HELP!!!!!

That wasn't meant for you. I believe N8LBV will be able to understand it.
  5. O

Windows 10 HELP!!!!!

Back in the 90s we wrote a Windows graphics driver so that we could demonstrate a new high speed bus for the PC at Comdex. We got the driver written, got 4 flashy apps that would nicely demonstrate the performance of the new bus, and everything ran at Comedx without a hitch. Then a few weeks...
  6. O

Windows 10 HELP!!!!!

Well, RF doesn't list Windows 10 in the system requirements so really its user error first. After that, since Windows changed, rather than RF, the technical change/responsibility is probably owned by Microsoft. But of course, if you complain to them (I assume/hope you have) they will tell you...
  7. O

New PC extremely slow boot with Interlink attached

My short term solution is to point the RF6 link on my taskbar to this batch file instead of directly at RF: @echo off "C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight6\RealFlight.exe" echo Please disconnect the Interlink to prevent booting issues. pause That reminds me to disconnect it after running so I...
  8. O

Oh darn. It sounds like our two cards are acting about the same, and with one being an NEC chipset and the other being a Via chipset, this is not giving me a lot of encouragement that a good card is going to be easy to find. If anyone has found a modern add-in card (hopefully PCI-E) that works...
  9. O

I'm curious as to what USB board you used. I installed an Anker USB 3.0 PCI-E card (based on 4.5 star user reviews on Amazon). It fixes the booting issue but when I launch RealFlight, it either launches OK but takes about twice as long as usual, or it takes a long time to launch and then says...
  10. O

Annoying Buzzing Sound

Yep - I don't think I've ever used one of those mini-stereo jacks that wasn't at least a little troublesome. It never ceases to amaze me that that connector has remained so common for decades.
  11. O

7.5 not compatible with XP.

I don't know about technology, but it might just be a cost issue. Ie: it costs about the same to do full compatibility testing across a bunch of platforms running an old OS as it does with a new OS. But market data shows that people with old operating systems and old computers are much less...
  12. O

What does RF use over 7 gigs for

Back in the 70s I used to run a word processor, a database, several compilers and more stuff on an 8 bit machine with 24K of RAM. They weren't quite as pretty or friendly as the modern equivalents but they got the job done. (Mostly.) RF has so many elements that it's hard to say how it...
  13. O

interlink question

So as I read it, "what" is RF7. As for "urgency" and "need" I have no idea how to universally define those for different people with respect to hobbies. :D
  14. O

interlink question

It sounds like one version was in a local shop and the other wasn't and he didn't want to wait - a simple time vs money trade-off.
  15. O

How 'Real' is Realflight.

I find RF to be very realistic (though swap pages models vary greatly in realism) but I've had a guy telling me at the field that he's been flying helis for 2 years on RF and can do inverted circuits, 3D etc. but once he finally got a physical heli and I set it up and tested it for him, I gave...
Back