Madratter

RAF FE2b_EA

• RAF FE2b-0.jpg
    RAF FE2b-0.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 102
NOTE: Some users are reporting they are getting a missing motor. This is a RF6 import bug. Users are reporting that if you delete the plane and then reimport, it imports fine.

NOTE: This will look horrible in RF6.5. They changed the graphic engine in ways that affects this model greatly. I have put together a version specifically for RF6.5 that is now on the swaps.

This is the Royal Airforce Factory F.E.2b. The landing gear identify it as an early model. It has a 160 HP Beardmore engine. It served in with the Allied forces in the Great War between 1915 and 1918.

The pusher configuration was adopted because at that time, the British had not figured out how to synchronize their machine guns with the propeller.

Although certainly far less known than more famous aircraft of the Great War, almost 2000 of these planes were built. The first official kill by the Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen, was a F.E.2b. shot down on the 17th of September 1916. It figures prominently in his kill list. On the 6th of July, 1917, Baron von Richthofen sustained a serious head wound fighting a variant, the F.E.2d.

Another famous German fighter pilot, Max Immelmann, was killed fighting a squadron of F.E.2bs.

Although they originally served as fighter aircraft, later in the war, they found a role as a night bomber. They served in this capacity until the end of hostilities.

This is a 1/4 scale version of the Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2b. It has a wingspan of almost 12 feet. Like the original, it does not have much excess power. It cannot be thrown around the sky with impunity.

This plane has a number of special features including working needles for the RPM and Airspeed gauges (linked to the throttle position). All control surfaces have working control linkages. There are cameras for the observer, pilot, pilot looking down at the instrument panel, pilot looking left and right, and finally, a special tribute camera looking back at the pilot. These cameras are only active when using a 3d airport (one that is NOT a photofield). In addition, the machine guns fire using the 3 position switch on channel 8. They have the historically correct rate of fire, muzzle velocity, and number of rounds (which means you will run out quickly). In addition it has a custom prop.

The tribute camera will show a view of the pilot. Notice the td9cowboy call-sign over the heart of the pilot done in gold. This is to commemorate one of the active contributors on the RealFlight forums. Steve passed away unexpectedly on August 16th, 2012. He will be missed.

The 3d model, physics, and color scheme for this model were created by the Madratter. He could not have done it without the assistance of the members of the the RealFlight 6 designer's corner. Assistance from Boof69, Flexible, Abaser, and Jeffpn was particularly valuable.

A special mention should be made of the fact that Boof69 made the original version of the pilot/observer that has been used. I have somewhat modified it.

I hope you enjoy flying this. It has been a labor of love that took almost 5 months to complete. I estimate there are well over 200 hours of work in this model, and the number is probably approaching 300 hours.

PLEASE NOTE: This model is very large. It will take a long time to load because of the highly detailed color scheme.

Also, this model has a custom prop. As a result, you must be update your RF6 in order for it to load. If it can be loaded in previous versions of RF at all, you will need to change the prop (zinger standard would be a good choice). However, I'm not sure the file will even import.

Latest updates

1. Images

Images
Back