Soaring Course_AP-1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 68
  • Soaring Course_AP-2.jpg
    Soaring Course_AP-2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Soaring Course_AP-3.jpg
    Soaring Course_AP-3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 68
Advanced sailplane challenge. RF Obstacle Coarse with winds set so that if you fly the Mistral 3m-X_AV you can soar through all of the obstacle courses using orographic lift.

IMPORTANT: Go to the “settings” in the simulator menu, and open “wind.” Set thermals to dynamic. Also recommend setting turbulence, gust, and variation all to zero. After you’ve practiced, you can add turbulence and gusts for more realism. Download Soaring Challenge_RC to see the best way to get through the coarse, and where to look for lift.

You’ll be launching toward the first ring with a stiff tailwind, so hold aft elevator before you release. If you fly smoothly, you’ll be able to make it through the first 8 rings without deviating from the course. When you fly through the ring with a windmill to the left, turn right and fly until the terrain is sloping up from left to right, then turn downslope (left) fly slower back to the next obstacle ring and you should have picked up enough lift to make it straight through the next three rings. Now you’ll need to porpoise through the next 6 rings. Generally there is more lift to the left than straight ahead. Once you get to the rings on the west side of the airport, you can ridge soar straight through all of them. The hardest part is climbing back upslope after finishing the west leg. If you watch the recording, you’ll see that I leave the course 3 times to climb in lifting air. the first climb, I’m looking for 5200 feet ASL. The second climb I look for 6000 feet ASL. The last climb I look for 6500 feet ASL. If you do the climbs in the same places as you see in the recording, and hit these three altitudes, you should be able to fly through every ring and make it back to the runway. Good luck. This is a tough challenge, but a lot of fun. If you can finish you are good. If you can finish under 15 minutes you are excellent. If you finish under 12 minutes 21 seconds you beat me.

PS. Later, I was able to complete the course in 10 minutes and 39 seconds by exploring some more efficient climb locations. I'm sure some soaring enthusiasts will find even better solutions to this interesting challenge.

25cent -=-soaring -=-glider -=-obstacle -=-mountains -=-rf -=-sn -=-16-1 -=-+

Latest updates

1. Images

Images
Back