P

SR-71 Mod 3_2_AV

• SR-71 BlackBird-0.jpg
    SR-71 BlackBird-0.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 70
SR-71 Blackbird, AB, Startup Sequence, Multi Thrust Sim, 900+ MPH

Some discussion;
The first SR-71 versions were started with either a Buick Wildcat engine or a Big Block Chevy, rev'ed and then ignited by injecting a chemical mixture. Later, an air starter was employed.

3 Position Sw.- Back: Engines Shutdown, Middle: Starter engaged & Startup Sequence Initiated, Forward: Afterburner On

If you do not desire startup: Leave switch in middle position and press reset.

Afterburner engagement- Revs the Turbofans to a minimum of 3/4 Thrust and the afterburner ignites at 70,000 RPM - (Airflow required for AB)

Without Afterburner - ~ 450 MPH Max
With Afterburner - ~ 450 to 950 MPH

I limited the speed to below 1000 MPH for two reasons. 1.) I wanted to fly using a ground position 2.) The sound was "weird" above 1000 MPH when it passed overhead. 900+ is plenty for me while flying from a ground position. Have had one to +2000 MPH for flying chase mode. (~ Real-Flight Limit).

~80 MPH Min Flying speed ... Landing Speed 90-100 MPH

Retracts cycle Up/Down at 150 MPH with Retract Sw. Back (auto position) ... Fixed down with Retract sw. Forward
Wheels down is about the only thing that causes drag for slowing down. The SR-71 Max speed with wheels down was 300 MPH, Takeoff was above 200 MPH, so the wheels had to be retracted quickly. The mains were aluminum impregnated (coated) to resist heat. Believe the front tire wheel-well was air conditioned(?)

Dual Rates as normal ( down = Reduced)

Knob: adjusts the landing brakes - To keep the plane from moving on ground, dial in a few clicks (cw) - Just before landing, dial in desired brake strength ... you get the idea).

Scramjet stage 1 - starts at 450 MPH with AB on.
Scramjet Stage 2 - @ 700 MPH

Features:
* Air Starter Startup Sequence
* Afterburner with smoke & sound
* TurboFan Engine Sound Change
* Somewhat realistic Speed Acceleration (not just jump to speed) - Throttle advance partly due to airspeed
* Elevator compensation for speed changes
* Auto Landing Gear Retract/Extend
* Yaw Minimized
* Wing/Fuse Air Turbulence @ two speed ranges
* Engine Inlet Air Turbulence (on ground)
* Simulated smoky condition on ground
* Several Exhaust conditions - TurboFan, Afterburner, ScramJet Stage 1 & 2
* Varied Airspeed Sound Effects

To make this happen:
8 Different Thrusters
1 Turbine Engine - for RPM Sense
12 Smoke Generators
8 Sound Generators
11 Servos
19 Modifiers
21 Mixes
9 Airspeed Sensors

A lot of time adding and adjusting ... but fun for me !
Researching the aircraft reveals some extraordinary engineering.

This variant requires:

SR-71 BlackBird_EA
Back