xljedi

Victory Red Silver_CS

• Extra 300L-0.jpg
    Extra 300L-0.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 60
Victory in Red and Silver
A custom airbrush paint job for the Extra 300L

This one has a very clean design and some nice checkered flag and gold laurel wreath elements. I chose Red and Silver for the base colors but those could be switched out.

For this paint job, I didn't include a lot of lettering other than what I thought was appropriate for the theme. This is also meant to be a paint job for an RC version of the plane as opposed to RL. As such, I did not want to include bump maps for rivets. However I may investigate a specular map for doing something to make the silver look a little more metallic.

I did not use a rendering tool for the gold effects, those were airbrushed by hand (or by hand-on-mouse). I did however use rendering to create the checkmark patterns (GIMP render for checkerboard, and warp effect for adding waviness to the pattern). I was specifically trying to avoid a straight-line checkered pattern as I felt that design element had already been well represented in other CS's. Perhaps others here use a similar method; I use straight black and white to render the checkerboard, and then after warp effects have been applied, I use the selection tool to select just the black areas of the checker pattern and then convert the selection to a path. This allows me to paint any color checkerboard I want... I just happened to want black and white in this case. :-D

You may also notice some airbrush effects used to give depth to the wavey-effect in the tail, but you have to sorta look closely to see it in the game. The silver pinstriping is also meant to have a silvery rounded raised 3D effect.

GIMP was used exclusively to edit the tga. The GIMP image file was setup with multiple layers for the various effects, and now the primary (red) and secondary (silver) color patterns are totally repaintable. The highlights and airbrush effects are on a higher layer than the base colors, so all effects are maintained as colors are changed. I didn't really want to post a ton of color variations on the theme, but I may be willing to share the XCF if others want to try recoloring it. I just ask that if you use it for your own recolor and post it here, please include a nod to the original source.

I can't really teach people how to use GIMP in detail, but if you're curious about how to re-create any of the effects mentioned feel free to drop me a note.

This color scheme requires:

Extra 300L from RealFlight G5.5

Latest updates

1. Images

Images
Back