3D Modelling - CURVES.

Ghost129er

Bobcat

'Ello~ Lurker/stalker here after a while.

tl;dr - help with 3d plz
(For those lazy).

For those interested:
So what really tends to put me off modelling is when you get stuck at a certain part and can't work on it.

Notably, I've suffered this problem with aircraft that deal with really awkward and aerodynamic curves, things like cowls and such. Yes, it's a matter of practice and skill, but one such problem really ticks me off.

I'm working on a Bobcatat the moment, and I just absolutely cannot for some godforsaken reason work out the boom of this bloody bandit. :confused:

Issues I'm facing - uneven faces, weird model warping, stretch tool going haywire and definitely a lack of skill. Perhaps a few techniques/magic tricks from people who've mastered this skill can lend a hand? I've use splines, lines (as I don't work from cylinders/spheres as I've seen others do so) but tend to use them on rare occasions with certain things.

I wanted to upload the file here for any 3ds Max users so that depending on how many people decide to leave feedback, can use the same point that I'm at as a starting point then go around to their method and explain what they did to achieve the finished result, sort of like a template to work on and give a solution. Perhaps the question to a mathematical question I suppose? I'm not asking for the finished tailboom (yet) but perhaps, when I entirely give up then I'd gladly ask anyone with a little extra time on their hands or perhaps anyone feeling "generous" enough to help out though I'm not at that stage. Yet.

Download Here

Cheers!
Rick

P.S. PM me for the encryption key, I know you probably feel lazy, but it's we all are with releasing your the 'source' of our works of art.

P.P.S. Yes, I deleted the rest of the model file. Why? In case someone decides to use my work/3D for their own stuff.

P.P.P.S Sorry for the misleading title - not talking about other *cough* curves..

Last edited:
Hey Flexible,

So, I had an epiphany and suddenly came out with a good looking set of booms for the Bobcat.

Check it out and tell me what you think. It's not PERFECT, however, for now, it's a good start. Maybe Bobcat V2 can be redone? Perhaps V1 can be touched up when I've done the rest of the work? Dunno.

fmgA4Bhh.png

The many stages/tries of the Bobcat's Booms

jNGg7CYh.png

Seemingly decent Booms

ThEfpYAh.png

BOBCAAAAAAAAAAT

9byKiRDh.png

I actually made something 'decent'!

What do you think? Yay or nay?

I remembered to use a sphere as someone made a tutorial of making wheel pants out of a sphere and this sort of helped me on that track - not sure if it was Scott (Boof69) or Abaser or something, but whoever made that tut, massive rep. I still remember it years later. :cool:

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
9byKiRDh.png

I actually made something 'decent'!

What do you think? Yay or nay?

I remembered to use a sphere as someone made a tutorial of making wheel pants out of a sphere and this sort of helped me on that track - not sure if it was Scott (Boof69) or Abaser or something, but whoever made that tut, massive rep. I still remember it years later. :cool:

Cheers,
Rick

I say Yay.. it looks great to me. I have the same problem with that type of stuff so that's why I stayed out of it.

Just curious

How come you don't use cylinders? I can understand lines but I am not sure how a spline would work better than a cylinder. I may just not understanding the intricacies of the editor you are using.

Bobcat

technoid said:
Thanks Tech.

legoman said:
How come you don't use cylinders? I can understand lines but I am not sure how a spline would work better than a cylinder. I may just not understanding the intricacies of the editor you are using.
Always found them a P.I.T.A. (Pain in the a) to work with them, struggled and never really got a good use of them (only used them in fuselages though). However, it might just be that I was really bad with 3DS Max and just needed some practice and not to give up so early on something. Initially I made this post at night, exhausted and frustrated with the rubbish booms I made first but the next day, poof, had an epiphany and got it sorted out.

legoman said:
Is this going to get posted? Because I know what color scheme I'll make
Million dollar question right there. That's provided I finish it (busy with work, and enjoying sleeping as much as I can). I was initially making this for IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 but I wanted this in RealFlight too. Once the 3D is done, I'll hand it over to someone to setup the physics and what not, then I'll release it up onto the swaps.

Last edited:
I'll happily help with the physics I don't have a computer with rf right now middle of July I'll be home and I can drag my old computer back with me on vacation.

I'll happily help with the physics I don't have a computer with rf right now middle of July I'll be home and I can drag my old computer back with me on vacation.

Sounds all good to me Lego, I'll maybe post updates here or otherwise just dump the .rfx to you and then ask for it back so I can release it :p

Cheers!

Back