3ds Max users.

Norton

I have the opportunity to buy some models in 3ds Max format for a pretty good price.
My question is without 3ds I believe I would need somebody to get them into Real flight correct? (Pivot points are set up also) That's where you would come in, I'll purchase them and send them to you for final check over and import. Anybody interested?

I have already checked and once I pay for them they would be mine to use as I wish.

Highest priced models go for around $ 30.00 and down to around $ 7.00.

People with 3ds Max only please!! Just PM me.

Alot of nice planes from what I've seen so far.

One other thing, Knife edge if you have a problem with this please let me know and I will delete this post and go no farther with it.

Attachments

• Vigen 1.gif
    Vigen 1.gif
    77 KB · Views: 20
  • vigen 2.gif
    vigen 2.gif
    43.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Mig.gif
    Mig.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 16
  • B-52 2.jpg
    B-52 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Chinook 2.jpg
    Chinook 2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
One other thing, I'm not even sure if this is logistically possible. If it can't be done don't get bummed out. I know I can do the flight physics but thats about it.

tnorton12000 said:
I have the opportunity to buy some models in 3ds Max format for a pretty good price.
My question is without 3ds I believe I would need somebody to get them into Real flight correct? (Pivot points are set up also) That's where you would come in, I'll purchase them and send them to you for final check over and import. Anybody interested?

I have already checked and once I pay for them they would be mine to use as I wish.

Highest priced models go for around $ 30.00 and down to around $ 7.00.

People with 3ds Max only please!! Just PM me.

Alot of nice planes from what I've seen so far.

One other thing, Knife edge if you have a problem with this please let me know and I will delete this post and go no farther with it.

send em on!
see pm
crashed

i would be happy to get them into RF for you but before you buy any be aware that the poly limit is 20000 poly's including collision meshes.If the model is above 8000 poly's it will require collision meshes which can total 1500 poly's in total so go for a model with 18500 poly's maximum and then collision meshes can be added.If you want me to help then let me know and i will start right away.Also you will need to consider how the textures are set up as RF only allows 1 TGA file for all texturing so many of the models may need to be completely retextured.

Last edited:
Inky hit the nail on the head.

Judging from the examples that you posted, these models use many more polygons than G3 allows. In the past I also got permission to one 3DS model as a basis for a G3 plane. But when I imported it, I found it to be totally unsuitable for many of the reasons mentioned in the prior posts. About all it was good for was a fancy 3-view, as I had to remodel everything from the start anyway.

I'd recommend not wasting the money, unless there are no other sources for a particular aircraft's data.

I'd save your money. As inky00 mentioned they have a too high polygon count and they would need to be texture mapped.

P.S. that Chinook is from the De Espona collection and I'm pretty sure its EULA says that you can't redistribute the geometry without their permission.

Please don't purchase a B-52 because I am currently working on one in GMAX.

Ok thanks,

I would be very interested in seeing your model so far. Would you mind posting a screen shot of your progress to date? This would be a great addition to 3.5

tnorton12000 said:
Yup, you guy's were right! Poly counts were massive. Oh well, it was worth a try.
once you import them to 3dsmax, convert each "part" to editable poly.
when importing from wings, the maximum wings poly count is about 3300 to come in under the maximum 8000 exporting from 3dsmax.
3dsmax converts files to mesh upon import, DOUBLEING the poly count.

Attachments

• poly_count.jpg
    poly_count.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 22
tnorton12000 said:
Most of the models had between 50 and 90,000 poly,s! Way to many.
Just put it through a hungy hungry polygon muncher! :D
Or just feed it to this hungry plane below. ;)

Attachments

• treetrim.jpg
    treetrim.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 11
Blade Scraper said:
Just put it through a hungy hungry polygon muncher! :D
Or just feed it to this hungry plane below. ;)
or maybe this one, it was thirsty!

Attachments

• 12-05-07_0847.jpg
    12-05-07_0847.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 14
Back